This certainly didn't age well...

What did or didn't happen in years 1-3 are starting to matter less and less to me right now.

For me it just seems like Frost didn't get this team ready to be as competitive as they should have been across spring ball & fall camp for this season.

I don't really care all that much about what evidence there is that we were well prepared because of how we played against Oklahoma & Michigan; we looked terrible against Illinois and that game is costing us big right now.

We then came into the Minnesota game also looking unprepared and almost like we weren't there to win the game (on offense at least).

Something has been wrong on offense since the start of the season and it just isn't getting fixed. It probably starts with Greg Austin, but I can't say that I'm 100% sure what it is exactly...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

What did or didn't happen in years 1-3 are starting to matter less and less to me right now.

For me it just seems like Frost didn't get this team ready to be as competitive as they should have been across spring ball & fall camp for this season.

I don't really care all that much about what evidence there is that we were well prepared because of how we played against Oklahoma & Michigan; we looked terrible against Illinois and that game is costing us big right now.

We then came into the Minnesota game also looking unprepared and almost like we weren't there to win the game (on offense at least).

Something has been wrong on offense since the start of the season and it just isn't getting fixed. It probably starts with Greg Austin, but I can't say that I'm 100% sure what it is exactly...

Something has been wrong on offense since Martinez went down with his first leg injury.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

For better or worse, Adrian Martinez and his inability to complete simple passes is the main thing holding the Huskers offense back. Too many drive killers in his passing game.

I think the offense needs a shake up and QB is the place to start. Bless whoever comes in because the OL is a wreck...

3 minutes ago, BaddKarma said:

For better or worse, Adrian Martinez and his inability to complete simple passes is the main thing holding the Huskers offense back. Too many drive killers in his passing game.

I think the offense needs a shake up and QB is the place to start. Bless whoever comes in because the OL is a wreck...

So in 4 years Frost couldn't recruit a kid or find a transfer capable of completing simple passes? 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So in 4 years Frost couldn't recruit a kid or find a transfer capable of completing simple passes? 

Im not sure. There seems to be no indication that AM could be surpassed on the depth chart this season. Last year as we all know McCaffrey was given every opportunity to take the job after numerous AM mistakes.

This year lots of game deciding mistakes and no such indication.

36 minutes ago, jager said:

I think the problem is Frost hitched his wagon to AM. He's going to live and die by him.  I'm not an AM hater or anything, nut he does lack some accuracy and makes some questionable decisions some times. It doesn't help that the OL hasn't improved either.

They have had 4 years to work on his mechanics and he still throw off his back foot, tries to just arm it, and does not turn his body and step into the throws.

He had better mechanics as a freshman.

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Actually, no, he couldn't. Verduzco has been terrible at assessing HS talent. McCaffrey is a prime example. Back when we were recruiting him I watched his film and knew immediately that he didn't have the arm strength. It was obvious. If a regular fan like myself can see it, how can a so-called QB guru not see it? it's been the same story with the others. They get the guy here and put them in the weight room and hope that his arm strength will improve. No elite QB wants to play for Verduzco. We need a guy with NFL experience who top QBs will actually want to play for. Torres is the first one I've actually been somewhat intrigued by.

3 hours ago, jager said:

I think the problem is Frost hitched his wagon to AM. He's going to live and die by him.  I'm not an AM hater or anything, nut he does lack some accuracy and makes some questionable decisions some times. It doesn't help that the OL hasn't improved either.

I agree with this assessment.  AM was somewhat unproven in high school given he was injured.  Then he came to Nebraska and wowed us all his freshman year only to then have really poor sophomore and junior years.  He has shown glimpses of looking better this season, but the mistakes and inconsistencies in close games continues to plague him.  

I personally think Frost felt AM could be the next Marcus Mariota and he has been focused on getting another QB into the NFL with their style of play.  In doing so, he has overlooked AM's weaknesses which have frankly cost us a lot of games.  I would like to see Frost give another QB a chance to compete but I do not think he will given his stubborn streak.  

Is it true he overlooked Burrow when he was transferring or was that just a rumor?  

3 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

They have had 4 years to work on his mechanics and he still throw off his back foot, tries to just arm it, and does not turn his body and step into the throws.

He had better mechanics as a freshman.

I honestly think the play calling has also been a problem with AM.  He is not a pocket passer, and as a freshman was relying on his instincts, yet he has been coached to sit in the pocket often.  Part of the reason he has had some improvements this year is that they have been getting him involved in the option and more QB rollouts, but when you look back at the Minnesota game, he was in the pocket a lot more again.  The play calling needs to align to the strengths of the QB.

• Thanks 1

I really believed that Frost was a good choice for Nebraska and the entire Big 10. He lost me last year with the "play anybody, anywhere" early in the year, changed to "hey, my guys decided that they do not want to go to a bowl game this year". Who does that?  Good coaches (not even great, just good) would have basked in the opportunity for several weeks more practice and one more game . If nothing else, more time to iron things out for next year. Well, how did "next year" turn out? If Nebraska does not win 2 more, with one of them being Iowa, I cannot imagine a reason to keep him around. Good guy, just not a great coach for this point in time.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I honestly think the play calling has also been a problem with AM.  He is not a pocket passer, and as a freshman was relying on his instincts, yet he has been coached to sit in the pocket often.  Part of the reason he has had some improvements this year is that they have been getting him involved in the option and more QB rollouts, but when you look back at the Minnesota game, he was in the pocket a lot more again.  The play calling needs to align to the strengths of the QB.

This...soooo much this. The fact that we don't run rollout/bootleg designs at least 33% of the time boggles my mind.

Frankly our screens (backside to RB) would work infinitely so much better if the only time wasn't when we ran pa boot

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

This...soooo much this. The fact that we don't run rollout/bootleg designs at least 33% of the time boggles my mind.

Frankly our screens (backside to RB) would work infinitely so much better if the only time wasn't when we ran pa boot

AM starts to pass better when he is getting to move about.  I honestly would like to see at least half of our plays involve the option where AM can run or designed rollout where AM can run or pass while on the move.  Not only does this make it more difficult to defend, he also is more confident and tends to make bigger plays.