Was Martinez playing hurt at Minnesota?

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/the-weekly-rundown-a-long-two-weeks-for-nebraska

QB Adrian Martinez's health:

Was Adrian Martinez injured at Minnesota? Are the rumors of him being held out of practice most of this past week true? You can't ignore these facts: Martinez had zero QB scramble yards and only 2 yards on designed run calls vs. the Gophers. Are these lingering effects from the shot to the jaw he took at Michigan State, or did he tweak his leg vs. Michigan last week? Something wasn't quite right. Will an extra week off get Martinez right?

These are some good callouts by Sean Callahan...and it was obvious something was amiss when Martinez wasn't taking off when he could have scrambled for 5, 7, 10+ yards at times and instead went with the pass. If Martinez was hurt...why are we not going with Smothers? If Martinez was out of practice this whole week and gimpy, it may also explain why his throws were off too--many of those balls, Smothers could hit, right?

I'm not calling for Smothers to permanently replace Martinez...but one must look at the decision making and wonder what's going on. If a gimpy Martinez is better than a 100% Smothers, then what does that say about our QB development? Or decision making on the offensive side of the ball? 

• Plus1 3

There was a picture of him last week out in public with his left ankle taped?? I wonder if he wasn’t injured a bit on that low cheap leg shot he took when he fumbled towards the end of the Michigan game.

But as to the gist of the question, my guess is a gimpy 2AM is probably the better option in this QB room. And no that doesn’t say much good about our recruiting or development or decision making to not a have a more viable backup plan in year 4. Some people will say “but Macaffrey left” but he wasn’t a good backup option either.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There was a picture of him last week out in public with his left ankle taped?? I wonder if he wasn’t injured a bit on that low cheap leg shot he took when he fumbled towards the end of the Michigan game.

But as to the gist of the question, my guess is a gimpy 2AM is probably the better option in this QB room. And no that doesn’t say much good about our recruiting or development or decision making to not a have a more viable backup plan in year 4. Some people will say “but Macaffrey left” but he wasn’t a good backup option either.

Ankle last week, jaw the week before. 

a kid encouraged to play hurt is a sign the coach needs to be shown the door. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Here’s the picture you’re referencing I believe.

16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Coach Held enters the chat............

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Ankle last week, jaw the week before. 

a kid encouraged to play hurt is a sign the coach needs to be shown the door. 

Depends if he’s hurt or injured. Most players at this level are playing hurt by this time in the season. But if he can’t run, can’t scramble, can’t throw effectively, seems they’d have a plan B. I don’t think he could and don’t think they do. 

4 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Here’s the picture you’re referencing I believe.

Yes it is.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Depends if he’s hurt or injured. Most players at this level are playing hurt by this time in the season. But if he can’t run, can’t scramble, can’t throw effectively, seems they’d have a plan B. I don’t think he could and don’t think they do. 

Yes it is.

Agree, The tough ones play hurt, but it seems playing hurt or injured is a reoccurring theme with AM, spanning he and Frost’s entire tenure. 

if AM can’t scramble, he is almost worthless. Heart the size of a mountain though. A coach should look out for the welfare of his players 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Or HCSF enters the chat to explain why he thinks he can run a one horse rodeo in the B1G.

Or AD Trev Alberts enters the chat to tell us he’s shuttering the football program and creating a new one-horse competition rodeo program. 

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
27 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Agree, The tough ones play hurt, but it seems playing hurt or injured is a reoccurring theme with AM, spanning he and Frost’s entire tenure. 

if AM can’t scramble, he is almost worthless. Heart the size of a mountain though. A coach should look out for the welfare of his players 

I don't recall any teams saying they fear his arm.. They fear(ed) his ability to make plays with his legs either through designed runs or broken plays....Might explain the play calling at the goal line...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I don't recall any teams saying they fear his arm.. They fear(ed) his ability to make plays with his legs either through designed runs or broken plays....Might explain the play calling at the goal line...

It surely do. 

the couple of option plays didn’t look like he had his normal vigor either. 

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

In todays game, there aren't a lot of teams that have a good backup option at QB.  Penn State was owning Iowa until their starting QB went down with an injury.  We haven't exactly had a good backup option since Frazier/Berringer.  I always felt that there were games when Taylor Martinez shouldn't have been playing because he was so banged up.  However, we just didn't have a good backup option.  I doubt Frost was twisting the arms of Vedral, Macaffrey, or Gebbia to transfer.