Was Martinez playing hurt at Minnesota?

28 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

In todays game, there aren't a lot of teams that have a good backup option at QB.  Penn State was owning Iowa until their starting QB went down with an injury.  We haven't exactly had a good backup option since Frazier/Berringer.  I always felt that there were games when Taylor Martinez shouldn't have been playing because he was so banged up.  However, we just didn't have a good backup option.  I doubt Frost was twisting the arms of Vedral, Macaffrey, or Gebbia to transfer.  

Yet when Nebraska faces a 2nd or 3rd string quarterback we instantly place them into Heisman contention. Macaffrey was never a real backup option, who knows about Gebbia and can’t blame Vedral for wanting to play somewhere. Serviceable is all I’d ask for but apparently that’s too big of an ask. There’s a price to pay for hitching your cart to one and only one QB. I think we paid a good chunk of it Saturday.

Other teams seem to manage okay. For every Penn St example there are a couple OUs. Its just one more thing this staff is failing at. Might be survivable if it wasn’t everything.

• Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I feel like there is always something going on with Martinez to explain his poor play. Is it possible he is just not good enough. 4 losing seasons is hard to come up with enough excuses. Results are results 

I remember one entire season where 50% of the snaps went over his head or off to the side. Let’s not forget what he’s had to endure

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I remember one entire season where 50% of the snaps went over his head or off to the side. Let’s not forget what he’s had to endure

There’s a lot plays that are not his fault.

Theres also plenty that are.  If you can’t hit an open receiver, you’re of no value to your team,  The stats are a great story, but the clearly are not winning games.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Martinez isn't the issue.  We all know that.  Our offensive line is the issue, period.  Adrian is plenty good to win when he isn't asked to carry the entire offense alone.  

No dude... you misunderstand the rules of the game. It is always Martinez's fault. None of the other players on the field affect his play. 

Frost and Martinez are the only problems get rid of them and we'd be national champs... :facepalm:

Although, I'd put money on it. Imagine this scenario Frost gets the LSU gig.. Martinez grad transfers and there with an offensive line that has a full two deep and receivers that are more than glorified walk ons they win the sec west and make the playoff.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

If a gimpy Martinez is better than a 100% Smothers, then what does that say about our QB development? Or decision making on the offensive side of the ball? 

Exactly my thought. How bad do our second and third string QBs perform in practice that an injured Martinez is preferred over them. What is Verduzco doing then and what does that mean for the future of this team? Are we hoping to magically recruit an excellent QB next year? You have to wonder what Frost is thinking?

11 hours ago, junior4949 said:

In todays game, there aren't a lot of teams that have a good backup option at QB.  Penn State was owning Iowa until their starting QB went down with an injury.  We haven't exactly had a good backup option since Frazier/Berringer.  I always felt that there were games when Taylor Martinez shouldn't have been playing because he was so banged up.  However, we just didn't have a good backup option.  I doubt Frost was twisting the arms of Vedral, Macaffrey, or Gebbia to transfer.  

Yep. Having a room stocked with QBs ready to step in and win games is not the norm. 

16 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/the-weekly-rundown-a-long-two-weeks-for-nebraska

These are some good callouts by Sean Callahan...and it was obvious something was amiss when Martinez wasn't taking off when he could have scrambled for 5, 7, 10+ yards at times and instead went with the pass. If Martinez was hurt...why are we not going with Smothers? If Martinez was out of practice this whole week and gimpy, it may also explain why his throws were off too--many of those balls, Smothers could hit, right?

I'm not calling for Smothers to permanently replace Martinez...but one must look at the decision making and wonder what's going on. If a gimpy Martinez is better than a 100% Smothers, then what does that say about our QB development? Or decision making on the offensive side of the ball? 

All great questions.  Hoping the media reporters ask some of those questions and get the coaches on record (if they haven’t already). 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

When you say “we all”, who exactly are you referring to?

All of us that understand the game of football beyond a 30 pack on game day.  Guessing even most of those guys understand that a QB constantly under pressure will not perform as well as one who is not.

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

All of us that understand the game of football beyond a 30 pack on game day.  Guessing even most of those guys understand that a QB constantly under pressure will not perform as well as one who is not.

How about those that have actually played the position beyond HS.   Trust me, the Oline does have its issues, but AM exacerbates the problem with his poor play when it counts, he does not helping to create a pocket with poor footwork on drop backs, the eternity it takes for him to make a decision throwing the ball, stunning lack of accuracy in games like Minnesota.  

Saying it’s all the Olines fault is an ill-informed take.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

How about those that have actually played the position beyond HS.   Trust me, the Oline does have its issues, but AM exacerbates the problem with his poor play when it counts, he does not helping to create a pocket with poor footwork on drop backs, the eternity it takes for him to make a decision throwing the ball, stunning lack of accuracy in games like Minnesota.  

Saying it’s all the Olines fault is an ill-informed take.  

Never said he was perfect.  I said he is good enough to win a lot of ball games.  Look at the number of sacks/pressures allowed and consider how many he has evaded.  We are ranked near the bottom with an extremely mobile QB.  Add to that if we had an decent O line play our running backs could take some heat off Adrian... And maybe we could punch the ball in from the 2.  

If you can't see those things as the glaring issue, I'm not sure what to say.  If Adrian entered the portal today, there would be a very long line of interested teams.