Was Martinez playing hurt at Minnesota?

Who would’ve thought it would be this hard to find another Joe Ganz… I’d take a pass first QB with mobility over a scrambler any day. That’s been our Achilles heel since 08’ stop offering schollies to QBs that aren’t getting P5 offers at QB or injury prone players and we’ll be better off. AM and injuries in HS — should’ve been a major red flag for SF but, I digress.

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, FTW said:

Who would’ve thought it would be this hard to find another Joe Ganz… I’d take a pass first QB with mobility over a scrambler any day. That’s been our Achilles heel since 08’ stop offering schollies to QBs that aren’t getting P5 offers at QB or injury prone players and we’ll be better off. AM and injuries in HS — should’ve been a major red flag for SF but, I digress.

I say this every time....Ganz in 2009 is another NC.....

• Fire 1
33 minutes ago, lo country said:

I say this every time....Ganz in 2009 is another NC.....

I really doubt it. In the absolute best case scenario, Ganz wouldn't have been enough to change the Texas Tech result - that game wasn't just about poor play, that was a Pelini-led mental breakdown.

Even if we beat Texas and went to the natty (unlikely), we weren't beating Bama. Just wouldn't have the mental discipline to stay in that game. More likely scenario is even if we beat Texas, we go to the Fiesta Bowl and either Cincy, Boise, TCU or 12-1 Florida would have got in before us.

14 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I really doubt it. In the absolute best case scenario, Ganz wouldn't have been enough to change the Texas Tech result - that game wasn't just about poor play, that was a Pelini-led mental breakdown.

Even if we beat Texas and went to the natty (unlikely), we weren't beating Bama. Just wouldn't have the mental discipline to stay in that game. More likely scenario is even if we beat Texas, we go to the Fiesta Bowl and either Cincy, Boise, TCU or 12-1 Florida would have got in before us.

I think we beat VT and UT with Ganz.  Who knows about TT.  It all revisionist, but I think we'd have had a shot.

I haven't really read through this thread.

But I think one thing that sticks out pretty big to me that doesn't seem to have been discussed much was two things that have hurt us previously this season:

-Missed kicks

-Coaching decisions

If Culp doesn't miss that shorter FG and the extra point and Scott just decides to kick a FG on the 4th & goal from the 1, that's 7 points...and we lost the game by 7 points. Sure, our RB shouldn't have tripped on that last attempt at the power run and that one should have been a TD, but still.

We just find every possibly way to lose a game. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I haven't really read through this thread.

But I think one thing that sticks out pretty big to me that doesn't seem to have been discussed much was two things that have hurt us previously this season:

-Missed kicks

-Coaching decisions

If Culp doesn't miss that shorter FG and the extra point and Scott just decides to kick a FG on the 4th & goal from the 1, that's 7 points...and we lost the game by 7 points. Sure, our RB shouldn't have tripped on that last attempt at the power run and that one should have been a TD, but still.

We just find every possibly way to lose a game. 

There's always a new way. You'd think once, just once, we'd accidentally make the right call and actually pull one out. Coin flip has better odds.

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

So the answer to the question in the OP is "yes."

Yup, and I don't buy that Adrian was anywhere close to healthy enough to start considering what we saw out of him. 

We have a second string QB for a reason--we should have prepared him and used him against Minnesota. I mean, FFS, we have teams that are running two or three QBs against us a game. And we can't get one second-string QB ready?

And no, I'm not advocating wholesale replacement of Martinez. Just saying if he wasn't even 50% (which he wasn't if he couldn't provide the threat of a running QB, IMO), then he shouldn't have been on the field. 

19 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yup, and I don't buy that Adrian was anywhere close to healthy enough to start considering what we saw out of him. 

We have a second string QB for a reason--we should have prepared him and used him against Minnesota. I mean, FFS, we have teams that are running two or three QBs against us a game. And we can't get one second-string QB ready?

And no, I'm not advocating wholesale replacement of Martinez. Just saying if he wasn't even 50% (which he wasn't if he couldn't provide the threat of a running QB, IMO), then he shouldn't have been on the field. 

We did that. Martinez's first year after he was taken out of Colorado, a game we would have won had they not intentionally injured him, we started Vedral for 2 games who played horribly and we lost 2 we would have easily won... we had to play Vedral because our number 2 qb bolted the second he lost the starting job. Those 3 games keep getting thrown in to the 15- whatever stat. When every game is apparently  a "must win or get fired," game you play whomever you think give you the best chance to win. Apparently in spite of minor injuries, that was Martinez. 

What are we going to have a fit about next please?

• Haha 2
47 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

We did that. Martinez's first year after he was taken out of Colorado, a game we would have won had they not intentionally injured him, we started Vedral for 2 games who played horribly and we lost 2 we would have easily won... we had to play Vedral because our number 2 qb bolted the second he lost the starting job. Those 3 games keep getting thrown in to the 15- whatever stat. When every game is apparently  a "must win or get fired," game you play whomever you think give you the best chance to win. Apparently in spite of minor injuries, that was Martinez. 

What are we going to have a fit about next please?

That was Andrew Bunch.  A 4th team walk-on QB.  

If our backup QB situation isn't better than that in year 4, that is another indictment of Frost's roster development.  

EDIT: on paper, our QB situation is light years ahead of where it was 4 years ago.  That's why it's frustrating to not see it used if they could help.  Apparently Frost believed a hobbled Martinez was still better than the #2.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Or an indictment of the realities of the quarterback position in the age of the transfer portal. 

Logan Smothers looked adequate in the Fordham and Northwestern games.  Granted, it's hard to compare those situations to the starting Minnesota defense.

If Frost felt a hobbled Martinez was still better than a 4-star, dual threat recruit in his 3rd year (I'll call it 2.5 because of COVID) then I feel it is appropriate for fans to ask why.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2