Staff Changes

Consensus seems to be, if Frost is under .500 and we keep him, he needs to make some staff changes. So whose out and whose in. Any concerns that Frost has never really hired from outside the Chip Kelly coaching tree? Any concerns quality assistants won't jump on for what could be a one-year experiment? 

Personally, I'd go Verdu to analyst. Busch to ST. Austin gone, replace him with a B1G experienced OL coach like Ed Warinner. 

• Plus1 2

Verdu and Austin need to go. The others are good in my opinion and have proven themselves...this move might wake Held up who may be feeling the heat as well.

However, I just don't know if Frost will pull the trigger...loyalty seems to be a huge part for him and these guys were loyal to him coming up from UCF. Will definitely be an interesting off-season!!

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Consensus seems to be, if Frost is under .500 and we keep him, he needs to make some staff changes. So whose out and whose in. Any concerns that Frost has never really hired from outside the Chip Kelly coaching tree? Any concerns quality assistants won't jump on for what could be a one-year experiment? 

Personally, I'd go Verdu to analyst. Busch to ST. Austin gone, replace him with a B1G experienced OL coach like Ed Warinner. 

I think here is where the problem lies.  I like the D.  Chin and Co have steadily improved.  If Frost is gone, I am betting most of the staff will be gone....If Frost stays and replaces the O, what guarantee will they have that Frost (and by proxy them) will be here more than a year.....I don't think anyone on our list would bite at that.  This also brings me to your 2nd post, if Chin and others can land after this year at more secure spots after "reading the tea leaves" why would they stay....

I think the only way to do this is you let Frost go at the end of he season.  Allow us to try to hire a proven home run. Let them get their crew in place and try to get a recruit class in the top 50's and keep the players they can. OR (and not my choice) you lock in Frost to an extension, assure the D staff they will have "X" more years and tell Frost he needs to jettison the O staff....This allows us to go after a guy like Warriner as OL coach, bring Busch up etc....Let's these guys know they will have be here for at least "X" years...

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I think here is where the problem lies.  I like the D.  Chin and Co have steadily improved.  If Frost is gone, I am betting most of the staff will be gone....If Frost stays and replaces the O, what guarantee will they have that Frost (and by proxy them) will be here more than a year.....I don't think anyone on our list would bite at that.  This also brings me to your 2nd post, if Chin and others can land after this year at more secure spots after "reading the tea leaves" why would they stay....

I think the only way to do this is you let Frost go at the end of he season.  Allow us to try to hire a proven home run. Let them get their crew in place and try to get a recruit class in the top 50's and keep the players they can. OR (and not my choice) you lock in Frost to an extension, assure the D staff they will have "X" more years and tell Frost he needs to jettison the O staff....This allows us to go after a guy like Warriner as OL coach, bring Busch up etc....Let's these guys know they will have be here for at least "X" years...

It makes things significantly more complicated for Trev. Will Frost even allow coaching changes? How small of a pool of candidates will they have due to the circumstances? The more I think about it, Trev doesn't seem like the type to force staff changes, and SF doesn't seem like the type to make staff changes. Is the most likely scenario us running this thing back with the exact same staff in place?

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It makes things significantly more complicated for Trev. Will Frost even allow coaching changes? How small of a pool of candidates will they have due to the circumstances? The more I think about it, Trev doesn't seem like the type to force staff changes, and SF doesn't seem like the type to make staff changes. Is the most likely scenario us running this thing back with the exact same staff in place?

Trev to Scott at the end of the season. If you still want to be here next year WE are overhauling the Offensive staff. If you don't want to then I'm sure you can get on at one of the Small Florida schools and run your BS offense.  You cant continue to put our greatly improving defense in bad situations game in and game out. 

That's how it should play out!!!

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't think an AD should force staff changes, per se.  What will happen (if the season does in fact end in disappointing fashion) is that Alberts and Frost will meet and:

1. Alberts is already convinced Frost is not the guy, so he is terminated.
  2. Alberts will ask for agreeance that this is not where the program should be and ask Frost what he thinks needs to be done moving forward.  If Frost does not convince Alberts that he has an effective plan moving forward, Frost will be gone.  I can only assume that any plan in this case will need to include staff changes to inspire any confidence moving forward. 
  • Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hardy, I think Coach Frost's opportunity to change assistants has passed.  You and I both know that changing assistants after Year 4 is only a means to an end (i.e. prolonging tenure).  It serves no other purpose at this stage.  Frost supporters will only see failure next year as the result of a "new system" or a "new position coach" rather than part of the overall regime.

If there were identifiable issues that could have been corrected through a personnel change, Coach Frost should have exercised that option in Year 2 or even Year 3.  Given that he did not identify those issues through personnel, it appropriately reflects on his management / responsibility for the team.  The staff should remain as is for a Year 5 (assuming Coach Frost does not resign).  Too late...

• Plus1 2

I don't think it matters a whole lot. Frost, in order to be successful in Lincoln, would have to make wholesale changes himself in regards to offensive philosophy, coaching style, drills, methods of instruction, and play-calling flow. 

I don't see ANY of that happening. We either move on, or we're stuck with what we're seeing for at least one more year, if not 2. It's not going to change.

17 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Hardy, I think Coach Frost's opportunity to change assistants has passed.  You and I both know that changing assistants after Year 4 is only a means to an end (i.e. prolonging tenure).  It serves no other purpose at this stage.  Frost supporters will only see failure next year as the result of a "new system" or a "new position coach" rather than part of the overall regime.

If there were identifiable issues that could have been corrected through a personnel change, Coach Frost should have exercised that option in Year 2 or even Year 3.  Given that he did not identify those issues through personnel, it appropriately reflects on his management / responsibility for the team.  The staff should remain as is for a Year 5 (assuming Coach Frost does not resign).  Too late...

This is where I have been at. It is the HC's job to select his staff. If after 3 losing seasons you keep practically your entire staff well. You did a very poor job of evaluating your staff and program as a whole. If after year 4 of having tied yourself for the worst season again in our lifetimes then you dont deserve that opportunity. 

• Plus1 4

I wouldn't make any changes.  What our program and team needs more than anything is stability.  Players will not grow with constant changes to staff.  It will set them back, I promise.  

This staff has 16 games to decide their fate.  4 this year, 12 next year.  They also have recruiting, spring ball, summer, fall camp, etc.  They are close, the games are close.  Turn those into winners and build off of that.  And coach better.  And get the players tougher mentally and physically.  2 deep, 3 deep.  That is the objective for this staff. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

This is where I have been at. It is the HC's job to select his staff. If after 3 losing seasons you keep practically your entire staff well. You did a very poor job of evaluating your staff and program as a whole. If after year 4 of having tied yourself for the worst season again in our lifetimes then you dont deserve that opportunity. 

Correct.  I tend to think that Coach believes that many of our issues are either externally driven, or a failure on the part of players to perform in game situations.  I do not doubt for a moment that he remains confident that his staff is performing at a top flight level (even now).  This is why staffing changes in my estimation will not change the overall product.  The philosophy, at least at the Power 5 level, is what is flawed.  Altering the tactics at the position level will do nothing to change the results.

5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Correct.  I tend to think that Coach believes that many of our issues are either externally driven, or a failure on the part of players to perform in game situations.  I do not doubt for a moment that he remains confident that his staff is performing at a top flight level (even now).  This is why staffing changes in my estimation will not change the overall product.  The philosophy, at least at the Power 5 level, is what is flawed.  Altering the tactics at the position level will do nothing to change the results.

Yep, they just need one to "bounce their way" just 1 play here or 1 play there. When looking at his record in 1 score games that isnt a luck thing. That is a Frost thing. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yep, they just need one to "bounce their way" just 1 play here or 1 play there. When looking at his record in 1 score games that isnt a luck thing. That is a Frost thing. 

And as a result, Coach Frost did attain a #1 ranking today on Rivals.  With Coach O resigning, he is the Coach on the hottest seat.  Balloons and streamers for all!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1