Staff Changes

The time to make changes was after three seasons of disappointment. If Frost had put his big-boy pants on we'd have a winning record and recruiting would be considerably better. Given the state of our program I'm not confident in our ability to hire quality assistants or hold on to what quality assistants we have. But assuming we don't lose any coaches this is what I think needs to happen:

1. Move Mario to analyst. Replace him with a qb-coach/co-OC that would enable Frost to back out of running the O and be more of a CEO type that helps all over.

2. Replace Austin, the lack of development here is staggering, only Jurgens has improved into anything and some guys have gotten worse. 

3. Replace Ruud with a ST's coach who may or may-not coach LB's. If new guy doesn't coach LB's we have a DC that's done it.  Chin can largely take-over the ILB's and Dawson can certainly help him since he won't be on ST's anymore. I'm not anti-Ruud but as I noted we can compensate for his loss, ST's absolutely have to get fixed. 

Held isn't a "must go" like Austin but I do think Ron Brown would be an improvement, likely the best coach that would take the job. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Danimal said:

The time to make changes was after three seasons of disappointment. If Frost had put his big-boy pants on we'd have a winning record and recruiting would be considerably better. Given the state of our program I'm not confident in our ability to hire quality assistants or hold on to what quality assistants we have. But assuming we don't lose any coaches this is what I think needs to happen:

1. Move Mario to analyst. Replace him with a qb-coach/co-OC that would enable Frost to back out of running the O and be more of a CEO type that helps all over.

2. Replace Austin, the lack of development here is staggering, only Jurgens has improved into anything and some guys have gotten worse. 

3. Replace Ruud with a ST's coach who may or may-not coach LB's. If new guy doesn't coach LB's we have a DC that's done it.  Chin can largely take-over the ILB's and Dawson can certainly help him since he won't be on ST's anymore. I'm not anti-Ruud but as I noted we can compensate for his loss, ST's absolutely have to get fixed. 

Held isn't a "must go" like Austin but I do think Ron Brown would be an improvement, likely the best coach that would take the job. 

Not sure why people would want to get rid of Ruud.  His group is doing very well.

I don't think you touch the defensive side of the ball, unless some leave on their own.  I've seen where some say it's common for teams that run a 3-4 have two LB coaches.  The thing is, we really haven't ran the 3-4 very much this year.  Possibly have Ruud coach all LB positions and replace Dawson with the ST coach.  At this point, I don't see why you would get rid of Ruud and keep Dawson if you're going to make a change in that area.

If Frost stays, I would think Verduzco, Austin, Held are replaced.  TEs and WRs are playing well.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Frost stays, I would think Verduzco, Austin, Held are replaced.  TEs and WRs are playing well.  

So are RB's though. Rhamir looks great and Yant had everybody in the state flying his flag after NW.  Not sure you can really say that Held is not holding up his end if you are accepting the current WR play as "playing well". 

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How are our problems Davison's fault?

Just part of the problem. Instead of going out and finding a solid Associate AD with some level of experience we went with Scotts best friend who literally spent his life in medical sales after college. Would seem like a great position to have filled with someone who could help develop Scott with his OJT. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

They aren't.

Bit he's a former player under Tom, Associate AD of football and led the fundraising efforts for the new facility 

It is part of the overall problem. We brought in an inexperienced HC and surrounded him with inexperience. Mostly by Frosts wants though. We all know Davison wasnt getting that gig without Frost pushing for it. We leveraged Davison to kick the tires with Frost and gave him a comfy gig for his assistance. We allowed Frost to bring in an inexperienced staff with very minimal P5 coaching experience. You could have picked any former player from the 90s to lead the fundraising efforts with the same results. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

So are RB's though. Rhamir looks great and Yant had everybody in the state flying his flag after NW.  Not sure you can really say that Held is not holding up his end if you are accepting the current WR play as "playing well". 

There seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason as to who plays each week and when.  Rahmir who started off the season sitting at like 4th on the depth chart...is fast but then our OC's try to play him like he's Yant/Andy Janovich only to get blown up and knocked out of the ball game like he did at Minny.  For all we know Stepp will be the starter against Purdue seriously.

dart-thrower-blind.jpg

• Plus1 4