Staff Changes

10 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

There seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason as to who plays each week and when.  Rahmir who started off the season sitting at like 4th on the depth chart...is fast but then our OC's try to play him like he's Yant/Andy Janovich only to get blown up and knocked out of the ball game like he did at Minny.  For all we know Stepp will be the starter against Purdue seriously.

dart-thrower-blind.jpg

And we find WRs with supposedly less talent, getting more reps/catches/touches than Manning, Betts, and Toure.  I believe that was the case against Minne.  I don't understand the WR rotation either.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And we find WRs with supposedly less talent, getting more reps/catches/touches than Manning, Betts, and Toure.  I believe that was the case against Minne.  I don't understand the WR rotation either.  

Damon Benning had someone close to Betts that emailed in to his show. Damon himself is close to Betts. It shed some light on why we're using him the way we are. It was an interesting listen. Supposedly Betts is in the doghouse for things (wasn't a shock to Benning or the Emailer) but they still play him out of necessity, but like you said there is really no rhyme or reason to when they play him. The emailer and Damon both agreed that this will stunt Betts' growth on and off the field, as he is the type of kid that has been used for his talent all his life, and using him for his talent while punishing him all at once will confuse him. They agreed it would be best to sit him completely and work with him on his shortcomings, then play him once it is all fixed. At the end of that convo my take away was, those close to Betts feel like this staff doesn't really know how to handle his situation. Kinda worries me. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Damon Benning had someone close to Betts that emailed in to his show. Damon himself is close to Betts. It shed some light on why we're using him the way we are. It was an interesting listen. Supposedly Betts is in the doghouse for things (wasn't a shock to Benning or the Emailer) but they still play him out of necessity, but like you said there is really no rhyme or reason to when they play him. The emailer and Damon both agreed that this will stunt Betts' growth on and off the field, as he is the type of kid that has been used for his talent all his life, and using him for his talent while punishing him all at once will confuse him. They agreed it would be best to sit him completely and work with him on his shortcomings, then play him once it is all fixed. At the end of that convo my take away was, those close to Betts feel like this staff doesn't really know how to handle his situation. Kinda worries me. 

But, some fans go crazy if someone doesn't play because they are "in the dog house".  They tend to blame the coaches instead of the kid.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Ultimately up to the coaches to know the players they coach. Just sharing what I heard on the radio about Betts situation. 

Yeah I heard that segment as well. Sounds like he struggles in school and just the overall grind and commitments that happen on a daily basis as a student athlete. Benning mentioned that Betts is more than capable of it but he needs the proper guidance etc. to get there. The staff is sending mixed signals to him regarding playing him, then not playing him etc. Basically they said like was mentioned above that it would be best to just sit him until he gets it all figured out. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Ultimately up to the coaches to know the players they coach. Just sharing what I heard on the radio about Betts situation. 

Understand and I agree.  It just always puzzled me when we obviously have had a culture issue on the team for a long time with players not doing what is necessary to be successful on the field, but when a coach sits a player because they aren't doing what's asked of them....then the fans get upset.

Not saying you are doing that.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Understand and I agree.  It just always puzzled me when we obviously have had a culture issue on the team for a long time with players not doing what is necessary to be successful on the field, but when a coach sits a player because they aren't doing what's asked of them....then the fans get upset.

Not saying you are doing that.

I think people just get frustrated when we bring in all these scholarship WRs and we literally rarely ever see them. 

• Thanks 2
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

I think people just get frustrated when we bring in all these scholarship WRs and we literally rarely ever see them. 

You think we have rarely seen our top WRs this year?  Sure, there are times when I would question why a player is on the field or not.  But, Martin and Toure are our top WRs.  Allen and Vokolec are our top TEs.  I'm pretty sure all 4 have been on the field for the majority of the time unless they are injured.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You think we have rarely seen our top WRs this year?  Sure, there are times when I would question why a player is on the field or not.  But, Martin and Toure are our top WRs.  Allen and Vokolec are our top TEs.  I'm pretty sure all 4 have been on the field for the majority of the time unless they are injured.

No I am talking about all of the scholarship WRs Frost has recruited over the last 4 years. Chase, Houston, Nance, Fleming, Brown, Nixon, Grimes, Hardy etc. 

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Was a great listen. I think it was pointed and intentional how much Benning used the word trust overall. 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

It is part of the overall problem. We brought in an inexperienced HC and surrounded him with inexperience. Mostly by Frosts wants though. We all know Davison wasnt getting that gig without Frost pushing for it. We leveraged Davison to kick the tires with Frost and gave him a comfy gig for his assistance. We allowed Frost to bring in an inexperienced staff with very minimal P5 coaching experience. You could have picked any former player from the 90s to lead the fundraising efforts with the same results. 

One of the qualifications should always be: would our peers hire this person? Mostly I mean the greats in the conference, but at this point, I even mean just any team in the B1G West. 

I’m still mostly okay with bringing over Frost’s staff from UCF because it seems that was a sticking point and they had earned the benefit of the doubt. Ideally, you spend big on a DC for Frost but I also get why Chins had to come and I’ve been impressed with the fight out of his side so all good. But Barrett Ruud was always a questionable hire for the last assistant at the time. Would any peer hire him or did he get hired just because he was a former player? He was a quality control guy for 2 years at UCF with no position coaching on his resume and he’s had to learn on the job. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ruud and think he’s done better each year here but that was the kind of hire where we could have grabbed a big time LB coach/recruiter and instead made the easy hire.