Staff Changes

25 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

One of the qualifications should always be: would our peers hire this person? Mostly I mean the greats in the conference, but at this point, I even mean just any team in the B1G West. 

I’m still mostly okay with bringing over Frost’s staff from UCF because it seems that was a sticking point and they had earned the benefit of the doubt. Ideally, you spend big on a DC for Frost but I also get why Chins had to come and I’ve been impressed with the fight out of his side so all good. But Barrett Ruud was always a questionable hire for the last assistant at the time. Would any peer hire him or did he get hired just because he was a former player? He was a quality control guy for 2 years at UCF with no position coaching on his resume and he’s had to learn on the job. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ruud and think he’s done better each year here but that was the kind of hire where we could have grabbed a big time LB coach/recruiter and instead made the easy hire.

I was fine with it initially but I feel like more changes should have been made or really any changes after the 3rd losing season in a row. The staff should have been revamped last season. Not the 4th in my opinion. 

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I was fine with it initially but I feel like more changes should have been made or really any changes after the 3rd losing season in a row. The staff should have been revamped last season. Not the 4th in my opinion. 

Hedley - you are everywhere.  Do you have 10 guys posting on your behalf:dunno   Maybe you are a secret troll farm.  I've never seen anyone move so fast from one thread to another and respond intelligently to posts.  

I Am Everywhere GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 6
  • Oh Yeah! 2
46 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

One of the qualifications should always be: would our peers hire this person? Mostly I mean the greats in the conference, but at this point, I even mean just any team in the B1G West. 

I’m still mostly okay with bringing over Frost’s staff from UCF because it seems that was a sticking point and they had earned the benefit of the doubt. Ideally, you spend big on a DC for Frost but I also get why Chins had to come and I’ve been impressed with the fight out of his side so all good. But Barrett Ruud was always a questionable hire for the last assistant at the time. Would any peer hire him or did he get hired just because he was a former player? He was a quality control guy for 2 years at UCF with no position coaching on his resume and he’s had to learn on the job. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ruud and think he’s done better each year here but that was the kind of hire where we could have grabbed a big time LB coach/recruiter and instead made the easy hire.

And, his group is playing very well.  If this staff was let go, what about the last few years would make him not get hired by someone else?

23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Hedley - you are everywhere.  Do you have 10 guys posting on your behalf:dunno   Maybe you are a secret troll farm.  I've never seen anyone move so fast from one thread to another and respond intelligently to posts.  

I Am Everywhere GIFs | Tenor

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr Blazing Saddles :laughpound

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why people would want to get rid of Ruud.  His group is doing very well.

I don't think you touch the defensive side of the ball, unless some leave on their own.  I've seen where some say it's common for teams that run a 3-4 have two LB coaches.  The thing is, we really haven't ran the 3-4 very much this year.  Possibly have Ruud coach all LB positions and replace Dawson with the ST coach.  At this point, I don't see why you would get rid of Ruud and keep Dawson if you're going to make a change in that area.

If Frost stays, I would think Verduzco, Austin, Held are replaced.  TEs and WRs are playing well.  

I'm not a

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why people would want to get rid of Ruud.  His group is doing very well.

I don't think you touch the defensive side of the ball, unless some leave on their own.  I've seen where some say it's common for teams that run a 3-4 have two LB coaches.  The thing is, we really haven't ran the 3-4 very much this year.  Possibly have Ruud coach all LB positions and replace Dawson with the ST coach.  At this point, I don't see why you would get rid of Ruud and keep Dawson if you're going to make a change in that area.

If Frost stays, I would think Verduzco, Austin, Held are replaced.  TEs and WRs are playing well.  

IMO Dawson is a little better but either way I think Chin taking over a LB group(largely anyway) to make space for a ST's coach is the way to go. Could replace Mario with a ST's coach and have Frost coach qb's but IMO a new qb-coach/co-OC is what we really need to get our O over the hump and allow Frost work on the team as a whole. 

Agree that Lubick and especially Beckton should be kept. 

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, his group is playing very well.  If this staff was let go, what about the last few years would make him not get hired by someone else?

I don’t disagree now but it’s definitely been a bit of a learning curve for him here. We’ve had a few opponents say they knew the key to beating us was to attack our ILBs:

Now granted that was some personnel stuff too which isn’t entirely his fault. The key to attacking Mo Barry was clearly getting him to run sideways and that’s not really Ruud’s fault, just a flaw that he had to work around. But Honas was also a ridiculously unguided missile his first couple years here and I remember Colorado specifically saying they could count on him always being out of position.

All good, it was just an easy hire to make instead of branching out. He’s definitely gotten better on the job.

8 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I don’t disagree now but it’s definitely been a bit of a learning curve for him here. We’ve had a few opponents say they knew the key to beating us was to attack our ILBs:

Now granted that was some personnel stuff too which isn’t entirely his fault. The key to attacking Mo Barry was clearly getting him to run sideways and that’s not really Ruud’s fault, just a flaw that he had to work around. But Honas was also a ridiculously unguided missile his first couple years here and I remember Colorado specifically saying they could count on him always being out of position.

All good, it was just an easy hire to make instead of branching out. He’s definitely gotten better on the job.

Ruud literally has two ILBs at the top of the B1G conference in tackles.

He is an excellent linebackers coach and credits learning from Bo Pelini.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fleck is a genius for beating Frost.  Well done sir.

I would have enjoyed it more if he said something like "we had our sideline blow harder when they were attempting field goals and PAT's".

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Thats nice and all that they lead the league in tackles.  Easy when you spend 3/4 of the game on the field lol..

It’s also just how the scheme plays. Barry finished 2nd in the conference in tackles per game and Young had a bunch of tackles too. I’m more interested in TFLs where Wisconsin’s ILB Sanborn has the same amount of TFLs as Reimer and Henrich combined and their other ILB has more than both of them individually as well.

I do think Ruud has done a much better job here after his first few seasons and the ILB group has a lot of potential. 

• Plus1 1