Staff Changes

7 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

He's counting "moral victories" along with real, on the scoreboard victories. Now if we can just get the B1G to see it our way we will be at the top the division.

I enjoy watching this team play and Frost isn't getting fired.....so I'm good acknowledging some things that are going right.

Everyone else can b*tch and moan as they choose 

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

Ruud literally has two ILBs at the top of the B1G conference in tackles.

He is an excellent linebackers coach and credits learning from Bo Pelini.

Mark this post.  Me and @TheSkeragree.  The B1G is won or lost through the play of LB's....Ruud game in here with NO experience coaching.  Struggled for sure, but has two guys who are doing great at their positions.  And learned in one of the most physical downhill conferences.   To the point about Bo, Ruud said that Bo talked to him about pursuit angles, movement etc and that is what really transformed his game.....Ruud is definitely not on my list of problem coaches...

4 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I don’t disagree now but it’s definitely been a bit of a learning curve for him here. We’ve had a few opponents say they knew the key to beating us was to attack our ILBs:

Now granted that was some personnel stuff too which isn’t entirely his fault. The key to attacking Mo Barry was clearly getting him to run sideways and that’s not really Ruud’s fault, just a flaw that he had to work around. But Honas was also a ridiculously unguided missile his first couple years here and I remember Colorado specifically saying they could count on him always being out of position.

All good, it was just an easy hire to make instead of branching out. He’s definitely gotten better on the job.

To Fleck's quote, Illinois game planned around JoJo if I recall.  They would get him "running sideways" to take him away from the play side.  Not sure when the last time that an offensive coordinator schemed around a NU defensive player since 2009/2010....or Gregory.

And this Tweet was from an article 2 years ago.

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Mark this post.  Me and @TheSkeragree.  The B1G is won or lost through the play of LB's....Ruud game in here with NO experience coaching.  Struggled for sure, but has two guys who are doing great at their positions.  And learned in one of the most physical downhill conferences.   To the point about Bo, Ruud said that Bo talked to him about pursuit angles, movement etc and that is what really transformed his game.....Ruud is definitely not on my list of problem coaches...

Ha!

lo.....I know a few other things we agree on.

Our biggest disagreement might be retaining Frost.

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Ha!

lo.....I know a few other things we agree on.

Our biggest disagreement might be retaining Frost.

True.  

I am on the fence about Frost.  Just don't know how he would do with a new staff.  Would he let them run things, work with them, accept them etc.....Or who would come here if he was a "dead man walking".  If he does manage to get 3 more wins, I'm all in to keep him.  I still think the O staff are the weak links and need changes.  The D, which by all accounts Chins runs with little to no over site, has done really well.  To include development in players and depth, culture, progress shown through statistics etc.... The thread about Frost and his peers was really damning for me TBH.  We really stink.

15 minutes ago, lo country said:

To Fleck's quote, Illinois game planned around JoJo if I recall.  They would get him "running sideways" to take him away from the play side.  Not sure when the last time that an offensive coordinator schemed around a NU defensive player since 2009/2010....or Gregory.

And this Tweet was from an article 2 years ago.

I know that it’s from 2 years ago, I was using it to illustrate that teams were attacking our ILBs before. And while some of it can be blamed on personnel, I also just think there was a natural learning curve for Ruud.

It’s all good, he’s gotten better since.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

True.  

I am on the fence about Frost.  Just don't know how he would do with a new staff.  Would he let them run things, work with them, accept them etc.....Or who would come here if he was a "dead man walking".  If he does manage to get 3 more wins, I'm all in to keep him.  I still think the O staff are the weak links and need changes.  The D, which by all accounts Chins runs with little to no over site, has done really well.  To include development in players and depth, culture, progress shown through statistics etc.... The thread about Frost and his peers was really damning for me TBH.  We really stink.

One thing that is going to make a big difference is getting the right side of the OL figured out.

I don't know if that means Austin is gone or not, but I know Frost is p!ssed about out sacks allowed 

The B1G has some of the best D lines in all of college football.  Sacks allowed and red zone efficiency have been brutal.

33 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I know that it’s from 2 years ago, I was using it to illustrate that teams were attacking our ILBs before. And while some of it can be blamed on personnel, I also just think there was a natural learning curve for Ruud.

It’s all good, he’s gotten better since.

My bad.  Wasn't sure.  I agree, D (at least for me) isn't an issue.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, TheSker said:

One thing that is going to make a big difference is getting the right side of the OL figured out.

I don't know if that means Austin is gone or not, but I know Frost is p!ssed about out sacks allowed 

The B1G has some of the best D lines in all of college football.  Sacks allowed and red zone efficiency have been brutal.

Killing us.  I think we had 2-3 drives in the red zone against Minnie with 0 points.  I don't care how good you are and how bad the opponent is, but that's hard if not impossible to win like that.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Killing us.  I think we had 2-3 drives in the red zone against Minnie with 0 points.  I don't care how good you are and how bad the opponent is, but that's hard if not impossible to win like that.

Exactly.

If.  And I'm saying if Frost can get the offensive line figured out, we'll be fine.  Our protection and missed blocks has Frost absolutely p!ssed.

When Frost says we're close, that's truly how close we are.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1