Staff Changes

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good analysis and I agree.  I wouldn't add Lubick.  The WRs are a lot better this year than last.  The idea of Chinander stepping up as the new HC is an interesting one.  It could be a way to keep most of the defense in tact while changing the offense coaches.

It's a gut call (in some ways not all) for me regarding Lubick for a myriad of reasons.  I do know the offensive play calling keys need to be taken away from both Frost and himself.  I've definitely seen enough on that front.  Losing Robinson and Spielman.  The 'way' the ball has been distributed to our WR's along with some of the situational mystifying personnel decisions this season and last year.  Just not sold.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's a gut call (in some ways not all) for me regarding Lubick for a myriad of reasons.  I do know the offensive play calling keys need to be taken away from both Frost and himself.  I've definitely seen enough on that front.  Losing Robinson and Spielman.  The 'way' the ball has been distributed to our WR's along with some of the situational mystifying personnel decisions this season and last year.  Just not sold.

Robinson and Spielman were gone before he got here.

22 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't think Lubick is a bad coach, but he was a bad hire. That was a golden opportunity for Frost to hire someone that would help him tweak his offense for the B1G. Instead Frost hired someone who believes in the identical offensive philosophy that he believes in. He didn't want an OC, he wanted a WR coach - and someone that wouldn't question his direction of the offense. This is the situation that makes skeptical that Frost will even make coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't think Lubick is a bad coach, but he was a bad hire. That was a golden opportunity for Frost to hire someone that would help him tweak his offense for the B1G. Instead Frost hired someone who believes in the identical offensive philosophy that he believes in. He didn't want an OC, he wanted a WR coach - and someone that wouldn't question his direction of the offense. This is the situation that makes skeptical that Frost will even make coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball. 

I feel/am wondering the same and even if he made changes to the staff who does he replace them with?  How many changes would he make?  Does he even make any changes?  

Instead Frost hired someone who believes in the identical offensive philosophy that he believes in.

I think a lot of people are still trying to figure out exactly what that is.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I feel/am wondering the same and even if he made changes to the staff who does he replace them with?  How many changes would he make?  Does he even make any changes?  

I could see him trading out Austin for our current OL analyst, Frank Verducci. Also make Verdu an analyst, and make Busch full time ST coach. So he's making coaching changes to keep Fans/AD happy - but not going outside his circle. 

Special teams coach is interesting.  When Dawson was hired and given those duties, I had thought he had been a successful ST coach in the past.  Looking at his history, he was only a special teams coach at Boston College in 2009-2011.

So, when you know your special teams have sucked for several years, why do you hire a guy to give him those duties when he really doesn't have much experience doing it?

Also, this isn't something new.  Other coaches have done it in the past.  But, when it's done, who actually coaches the kickers?  Kicking is very specialized.  It seems like kickers are just supposed to be able to get it done on their own....or possibly be coached by some expert not on staff?

18 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I could see him trading out Austin for our current OL analyst, Frank Verducci. Also make Verdu an analyst, and make Busch full time ST coach. So he's making coaching changes to keep Fans/AD happy - but not going outside his circle. 

Verducci does have a good track record.  I'm just wondering how much of his current analysis and input has transferred into our current decisions regarding the OL.  

56 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Nothing against him but what has he done to deserve to be retained?  As has been said, a dedicated ST coach would be much more useful.

What? Do you remember how awful our OLB core was before he took over?? They have become much, much better. DeWitt was horrible 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

True.  I guess I slightly question how much of that is to his credit or more Chins.

As soon as he came over they were improved. I’ll give credit to both. He should 100% be relieved of his special teams duties however. But that is on Frost. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I like that Trev will be the one supervising Frost's decisions this offseason. He seems like the type of guy to list certain criteria for specific changes and improvements that need made for Frost to remain coach.

One of those should absolutely be helping him find a competent OC and OL coach who aren't yes men and complement but challenge his tendencies rather than just reinforce them.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Special teams coach is interesting.  When Dawson was hired and given those duties, I had thought he had been a successful ST coach in the past.  Looking at his history, he was only a special teams coach at Boston College in 2009-2011.

So, when you know your special teams have sucked for several years, why do you hire a guy to give him those duties when he really doesn't have much experience doing it?

Also, this isn't something new.  Other coaches have done it in the past.  But, when it's done, who actually coaches the kickers?  Kicking is very specialized.  It seems like kickers are just supposed to be able to get it done on their own....or possibly be coached by some expert not on staff?

Plus if Dawson was our answer why wasn't he fixing our ST's in 2020? Whether he had the coordinator title or not it was obvious Rutledge and "by committee" weren't getting the job done. Ya our punters/kickers aren't really developing, plus we've struggled to keep them healthy, probably not practicing correctly. Then you gotta question how much of the stuff that has improved was Busch input, his LSU buyout year is about up,  won't have him as an analyst in '22. We need an upgrade in ST's coordinator in '22. 

• Thanks 1