Staff Changes

Just so I ask, do we have a clearer idea of the "play calling split" between Frost and Lubick?

Most games this year, the offensive play calling has consistently felt schizophrenic, where it totally feels like there are two different guys with very different personalities calling plays.....and a lot of the dud calls (such as that every surprising WR Screen) feels like its Frost taking the reins and reverting to the same unimaginative (and unsuccessful) stuff that has so badly hamstrung us in the seasons prior to Lubick's arrival.

The much maligned "Let's QB sneak it out of the shotgun" in particular felt like Frost pulling rank and making the (bad) call....

49 minutes ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Just so I ask, do we have a clearer idea of the "play calling split" between Frost and Lubick?

Most games this year, the offensive play calling has consistently felt schizophrenic, where it totally feels like there are two different guys with very different personalities calling plays.....and a lot of the dud calls (such as that every surprising WR Screen) feels like its Frost taking the reins and reverting to the same unimaginative (and unsuccessful) stuff that has so badly hamstrung us in the seasons prior to Lubick's arrival.

The much maligned "Let's QB sneak it out of the shotgun" in particular felt like Frost pulling rank and making the (bad) call....

We don’t have a clear idea that I’m aware of.  Frost says they both have input, but there’s got to be just one functioning as the primary.  Otherwise it would be a complete CF.  Sometimes it is, I guess and maybe that’s why.   Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I wish Frost would give the reigns to Lubick 100%.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

When you realize that better special teams play could have won you a game, and a better offensive line could have won you a game, and a more sure-handed QB could have won you a game, and a better pass rush could have won you a game, and better red zone and fourth quarter playcalling could have won you a game, you realize it's not just a couple things keeping you from winning games. 

I have no idea how close we are, and can't imagine Scott Frost or any head coach saying his team's not close in front of a microphone.

Reference point: I thought we were close only two weeks ago. Happy to readjust after the final four (or five) games are played. Pretty sure some changes will be in order either way. 

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you realize that better special teams play could have won you a game, and a better offensive line could have won you a game, and a more sure-handed QB could have won you a game, and a better pass rush could have won you a game, and better red zone and fourth quarter playcalling could have won you a game, you realize it's not just a couple things keeping you from winning games. 

I have no idea how close we are, and can't imagine Scott Frost or any head coach saying his team's not close in front of a microphone.

Reference point: I thought we were close only two weeks ago. Happy to readjust after the final four (or five) games are played. Pretty sure some changes will be in order either way. 

I mean, SF is reaching. He is simply beginning to sound like a coach who knows his time is short. I don’t think the remainder of our games will change the situation. So what, we go 1-3 and just out of the blue decide to give him a 4th season? Everything will magically change next year?? 4 losing seasons isn’t enough to change your mind? Come on. You, me and everyone else knows we’d be lucky to beat Purdue.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, FTW said:

I mean, SF is reaching. He is simply beginning to sound like a coach who knows his time is short. I don’t think the remainder of our games will change the situation. So what, we go 1-3 and just out of the blue decide to give him a 4th season? Everything will magically change next year?? 4 losing seasons isn’t enough to change your mind? Come on. You, me and everyone else knows we’d be lucky to beat Purdue.

Are they really that good?  I haven't watched them, but can't imagine they'll be tougher than MSU on the road and we should have won that one.  I guess I like our chances at home coming off the bye.  

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Are they really that good?  I haven't watched them, but can't imagine they'll be tougher than MSU on the road and we should have won that one.  I guess I like our chances at home coming off the bye.  

They’re ranked and only lost to ND by 14, beat Iowa of course. Suppose they’re sort of Jekyll & Hyde. After the loss to MN and coming off a BYE I would not be surprised if we come out flat and lose another “close” game

15 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

In summary on the hot seat per Carriker:  Personally I agree 100% with everyone on the list but am still unsure regarding SF as far as 'when' (I agree he should at least get 5) unless he can show he's aware enough and capable enough of making some tough/major calls himself regarding said staff.  Myself I would also add Lubick.

1. Frost (Says Frost should at least get 5 years)

2. Verduzco

3. Austin

4. Held

5. Dawson

"The.. Peoples Show"...

Love Carriker Chronicles!!! 

Don't see eye-to-eye 100% of the time, but I never miss.  Most of the time we in sync though.  I almost added his a$$ to the former husker players (forum) a few years ago.  But didn't want to just keep adding links to his channel.  Although it is pretty good stuff, if I may say so.  And I do.

That's all. 

And don't forget, throw the bones!

:bonez

• Fire 1
On 10/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

It makes things significantly more complicated for Trev. Will Frost even allow coaching changes? How small of a pool of candidates will they have due to the circumstances? The more I think about it, Trev doesn't seem like the type to force staff changes, and SF doesn't seem like the type to make staff changes. Is the most likely scenario us running this thing back with the exact same staff in place?

It may be. Frost might be giving the scenario. Keep the guys you have and we give you another year or if you make some changes with guys you feel might not be cutting it you will get two years to get things together. 

I've seen improvement even though it hasn't translated to wins. I'm willing to be patient and give it a couple more years for this to start translating into wins. But at some point its going to be time to pull the plug

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, ndobney said:

It may be. Frost might be giving the scenario. Keep the guys you have and we give you another year or if you make some changes with guys you feel might not be cutting it you will get two years to get things together. 

I've seen improvement even though it hasn't translated to wins. I'm willing to be patient and give it a couple more years for this to start translating into wins. But at some point its going to be time to pull the plug

What gives you the hope that he can turn it around at this point? Do you know of other examples where coaches with a below.400 win percentage turned in around in year 5 and 6? Historically it would be the ultimate white buffalo. Do we think Frost has it in him to make us a conference title contender? 

• Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What gives you the hope that he can turn it around at this point? Do you know of other examples where coaches with a below.400 win percentage turned in around in year 5 and 6? Historically it would be the ultimate white buffalo. Do we think Frost has it in him to make us a conference title contender? 

why does everyone keep asking for examples of coaches turning around teams after 3 or 4 losing seasons? isnt it obvious that these coaches get fired after these losing seasons because the fans and administration dont fully understand what all is/was involved in improving the team?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, desertshox said:

why does everyone keep asking for examples of coaches turning around teams after 3 or 4 losing seasons? isnt it obvious that these coaches get fired after these losing seasons because the fans and administration dont fully understand what all is/was involved in improving the team?

Because if it has NEVER been done before what have you seen from Frost in 4 years that says "yeah, this guy has all the tools to fix this". If examples do not exist that this has EVER happened before why do we think Frost is the unicorn in the history of college coaching? 

• Plus1 3
21 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Nothing against him but what has he done to deserve to be retained?  As has been said, a dedicated ST coach would be much more useful.

If we're choosing between LB coaches, I'd lean towards keeping Dawson, firing Ruud and using Ruud's spot for a ST coach.  Chinander coached LB's when he was at Oregon and I'm assuming he could pick up any slack.  This (and I pray I'm wrong) assumes that Frost doesn't make any offensive staff changes.

33 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because if it has NEVER been done before what have you seen from Frost in 4 years that says "yeah, this guy has all the tools to fix this". If examples do not exist that this has EVER happened before why do we think Frost is the unicorn in the history of college coaching? 

IMHO, there is enough evidence to show Frost hasn't and won't get it done.  You keep him and get a new staff, then next year will be blamed on "new scheme", "new staff", "getting on the same page", "recruit class was off because of size/uncertainty" etc.......2023 will be a hard schedule, lost so many "leaders", new QB......

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

If we're choosing between LB coaches, I'd lean towards keeping Dawson, firing Ruud and using Ruud's spot for a ST coach.  Chinander coached LB's when he was at Oregon and I'm assuming he could pick up any slack.  This (and I pray I'm wrong) assumes that Frost doesn't make any offensive staff changes.

I like the idea of having Chins coach one of the LB spots. I also like the idea of getting rid of Verduzco and using that spot for a Co-OC that actually calls plays and coaches QBs or some variation of that. Then extra spot on defense goes to ST coach. If you are going to keep Busch from leaving I would make him recruiting coordinator and special teams coach in a heartbeat. Regardless of who the HC is. 

• Plus1 2