Staff Changes

17 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

If we're choosing between LB coaches, I'd lean towards keeping Dawson, firing Ruud and using Ruud's spot for a ST coach.  Chinander coached LB's when he was at Oregon and I'm assuming he could pick up any slack.  This (and I pray I'm wrong) assumes that Frost doesn't make any offensive staff changes.

I think Ruud, for his lack of experience has done a better job at the ILB spot than Dawson with his guys. Unsure if I'd have a D staff on the short list TBH.

• Plus1 3

Just now, lo country said:

IMHO, there is enough evidence to show Frost hasn't and won't get it done.  You keep him and get a new staff, then next year will be blamed on "new scheme", "new staff", "getting on the same page", "recruit class was off because of size/uncertainty" etc.......2023 will be a hard schedule, lost so many "leaders", new QB......

I just honestly dont think we will be as good next year. Sure people can argue we lose because of Martinez but often times it is his play that even has us in the 1 score game in the first place. What transfer QB or any transfer for that matter will want to come to NU after 4 losing seasons? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because if it has NEVER been done before what have you seen from Frost in 4 years that says "yeah, this guy has all the tools to fix this". If examples do not exist that this has EVER happened before why do we think Frost is the unicorn in the history of college coaching? 

There are also a lot of examples of major programs constantly in the fire coaches every 4 years mode and they never get out of the hole because of constant change.

Texas

USC

Tennessee

Just to name a few.  That is where we have been for the last 20 years.  I'm willing to try a different route if that's what Trev decides.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

If we're choosing between LB coaches, I'd lean towards keeping Dawson, firing Ruud and using Ruud's spot for a ST coach.  Chinander coached LB's when he was at Oregon and I'm assuming he could pick up any slack.  This (and I pray I'm wrong) assumes that Frost doesn't make any offensive staff changes.

If someone on the D side of the ball is fired and the O side is left intact, it would be one of the biggest "WTF!!" moves in Husker Football history.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

If someone on the D side of the ball is fired and the O side is left intact, it would be one of the biggest "WTF!!" moves in Husker Football history.

Uhh yeah, that's why I added my last sentence.  My comment was more from an earlier discussion where other posters were discussing the merits on keeping Dawson.

39 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I like the idea of having Chins coach one of the LB spots. I also like the idea of getting rid of Verduzco and using that spot for a Co-OC that actually calls plays and coaches QBs or some variation of that. Then extra spot on defense goes to ST coach. If you are going to keep Busch from leaving I would make him recruiting coordinator and special teams coach in a heartbeat. Regardless of who the HC is. 

Yup, I'd be 100% totally fine with this.

38 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think Ruud, for his lack of experience has done a better job at the ILB spot than Dawson with his guys. Unsure if I'd have a D staff on the short list TBH.

I disagree on this but it's cool.  I just think that coaching OLBs is inherently a little more difficult in what Nebraska wants to do as the players are asked to do more.  This is by no means a shot at Ruud, just a discussion on if you absolutely made me choose someone between Ruud and Dawson to go in order to hire a S/T coach, I'd go with Ruud.  And I say that knowing how full well unpopular that would be amongst Husker fans.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Pretty sure, IMO,  the inside LB's have improved more than the OLB's...  why would you throw Rudd's name out there..??  just curious...

19 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I disagree on this but it's cool.  I just think that coaching OLBs is inherently a little more difficult in what Nebraska wants to do as the players are asked to do more.  This is by no means a shot at Ruud, just a discussion on if you absolutely made me choose someone between Ruud and Dawson to go in order to hire a S/T coach, I'd go with Ruud.  And I say that knowing how full well unpopular that would be amongst Husker fans.

if Rudd wasnt doing his job Id say get rid of him.. Greg Austin played for Nebraska but he is the first on most lists to go..

16 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Pretty sure, IMO,  the inside LB's have improved more than the OLB's...  why would you throw Rudd's name out there..??  just curious...

There was a comment earlier in the thread about the merits on retaining Dawson because of his failure as a ST coach.  I don't think Nebraska should fire Dawson or Ruud fwiw, but if you made me choose between Dawson or Ruud in order to get a ST coach, I'd say let Ruud go.

11 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

if Rudd wasnt doing his job Id say get rid of him.. Greg Austin played for Nebraska but he is the first on most lists to go..

Yeah in my original comment one page back I said that this would only be viable if Frost made the mistake of not making any changes on the offensive side of the ball.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Texas

USC

Tennessee

I get the comparison, but since 2017 all three of these programs have fired coaches that won 25+ games over a 3 year span. Frost would be more than safe if he had the resume of Herman, Helton or Jones. We aren't looking to fire a coach that has proven he can win 8+ games at this level - we're looking at firing a coach that is staring down the barrel of his 4th straight losing season. While the argument could be made those schools made a mistake by firing guys that are winning 7-9 games, that doesn't necessarily mean we would be making a mistake firing a guy who is winning 4-5 games. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because if it has NEVER been done before what have you seen from Frost in 4 years that says "yeah, this guy has all the tools to fix this". If examples do not exist that this has EVER happened before why do we think Frost is the unicorn in the history of college coaching? 

i didnt advocate keeping frost. i am as neutral as one can get on this subject. and i said the reason these examples dont exist are because the fans and administration are short sighted and dont look at everything ailing the program when they fire a coach. instead of curing the ailment they look for a bandaid fix. but that leaves you open for the cycle to repeat itself later on.

55 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

There was a comment earlier in the thread about the merits on retaining Dawson because of his failure as a ST coach.  I don't think Nebraska should fire Dawson or Ruud fwiw, but if you made me choose between Dawson or Ruud in order to get a ST coach, I'd say let Ruud go.

Yeah in my original comment one page back I said that this would only be viable if Frost made the mistake of not making any changes on the offensive side of the ball.

Understood...  thanks for the clarification.

33 minutes ago, desertshox said:

i didnt advocate keeping frost. i am as neutral as one can get on this subject. and i said the reason these examples dont exist are because the fans and administration are short sighted and dont look at everything ailing the program when they fire a coach. instead of curing the ailment they look for a bandaid fix. but that leaves you open for the cycle to repeat itself later on.

They exist. Guys at P5 schools who didn't get over .500 their first 4 years, and were kept 6+ years. 

Dan McCarney

Bobby Johnson

Greg Schiano

Bill Curry

Derek Mason

Mike Stoops

People can feel free to add to this list. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I get the comparison, but since 2017 all three of these programs have fired coaches that won 25+ games over a 3 year span. Frost would be more than safe if he had the resume of Herman, Helton or Jones. We aren't looking to fire a coach that has proven he can win 8+ games at this level - we're looking at firing a coach that is staring down the barrel of his 4th straight losing season. While the argument could be made those schools made a mistake by firing guys that are winning 7-9 games, that doesn't necessarily mean we would be making a mistake firing a guy who is winning 4-5 games. 

And, yet, those programs aren't any closer to winning a championship than when they fired those coaches.

• Haha 1