Staff Changes

10 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I disagree on this but it's cool.  I just think that coaching OLBs is inherently a little more difficult in what Nebraska wants to do as the players are asked to do more.  This is by no means a shot at Ruud, just a discussion on if you absolutely made me choose someone between Ruud and Dawson to go in order to hire a S/T coach, I'd go with Ruud.  And I say that knowing how full well unpopular that would be amongst Husker fans.

No worries.  I understand completely.  I guess I look at JoJo as our only threat at OLB.  Nelson is getting there, but seems to have lost playing time.  Maybe I have missed him.   ILB seems to be thriving.Can be in part to our scheme as you mentioned where we seem to "funnel" to the ILB's.  

We need a ST coach for sure.  If that means Chin picks up LB or Ruud/Dawson pick them up to free up a ST coach I am good either way.  LB's haven't cost us a game...ST's......too many times to count.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

No worries.  I understand completely.  I guess I look at JoJo as our only threat at OLB.  Nelson is getting there, but seems to have lost playing time.  Maybe I have missed him.   ILB seems to be thriving.Can be in part to our scheme as you mentioned where we seem to "funnel" to the ILB's.  

We need a ST coach for sure.  If that means Chin picks up LB or Ruud/Dawson pick them up to free up a ST coach I am good either way.  LB's haven't cost us a game...ST's......too many times to count.

Jojo and Nelson had almost the exact same stats in the Minnesota game.  

Both with 8 tackles, 4 solo, 4 assisted, 1 tackle for loss. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Thanks!  Quietly putting in work.  Still really wonder why the D seems so much further ahead than the O.  D staff has done a good job.

Have you ever looked at the classes between offense and defense? Defense is much older than the offense. But offense I believe has had the higher attrition. Doesn't dismiss the fact that the offense has major issues.

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

Thanks!  Quietly putting in work.  Still really wonder why the D seems so much further ahead than the O.  D staff has done a good job.

Continuity.

the unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over a period of time.  They been together a long time, doing the same stuff.

The Def has this.  The QB has this.  The TE's have this.

The Offense - different players on OL, in the backfield, at WR.... redshirt freshmen/sophomores/first chance players....mix and match.  Tight opportunities across the board.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Have you ever looked at the classes between offense and defense? Defense is much older than the offense. But offense I believe has had the higher attrition. Doesn't dismiss the fact that the offense has major issues.

Yes.  D has much more Jr/Sr guys. But even after the 1st year they started to separate themselves.  And as you mentioned, attrition (dismissal/transfer portal/left) has hurt.  But why is that?  Why did the O not want to go bowling?  Culture?  Lack of trust in the staff?  And I wonder if this is some of the issues.  But JD/Wan'Dale/Mo not working out hurt.

Saw a tweet referencing Betts being back in Bellevue and Frost answering questions in a presser about Betts lack of playing time.  Again mentioned, making mistakes in the game.....From the outside looking in, I'd be pi$$ed and questioning the staff when some guys on O ar good for 2 drive killing penalties per game with no issues....Or a 4 year starter QB who leads nation (or close to in fumbles) or a center who previously has snapping issues continue to play.....Yes AM got benched last year.  I'd also question why as a back up QB, I do not even get a sniff against Minnie.  Even as a change of pace or give them something else to think about.....And allow AM to take less of an an a$$ kicking....

• Plus1 1
Just now, admo said:

Continuity.

the unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over a period of time.  They been together a long time, doing the same stuff.

The Def has this.  The QB has this.  The TE's have this.

The Offense - different players on OL, in the backfield, at WR.... redshirt freshmen/sophomores/first chance players....mix and match.  Tight opportunities across the board.

So would this be a further indictment that the O staff, at a minimum, needs to go.  Year 4 and having those issues......

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

So would this be a further indictment that the O staff, at a minimum, needs to go.  Year 4 and having those issues......

Noooo.  Continuity is good, very good.

On offense, you just need to stop running the football up the center's anus.  You can't recruit speed backs and prolific RB's to come to the house, and when they get here, tell them your only job is to run between the guards, gaps, between the tackles ONLY.  Because it benefits the pass game (other positions).

Most backs out of high school run in space, outside etc.  We have done nothing different running with our backs than Riley did (up the middle, 2 yards).

I think the offensive scheme needs to give the backs opportunity to go outside, like we did for ameer, rex, helu.  I think we fail because of our running scheme is awful and trash. 

Why come only the recievers get to run the option?  That's stupid.

Continuity is fine.  The type of plays need to change.  Specifically running plays and less "slow developing pass plays". 

Now that's just day one stuff.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, lo country said:

The O has two really big issues.....sacks allowed and red zone efficiency.

The O is and had been among the leaders in total yards and rushing yards.  Gotta figure out how to protect better and put points on the board 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, admo said:

Noooo.  Continuity is good, very good.

On offense, you just need to stop running the football up the center's anus.  You can't recruit speed backs and prolific RB's to come to the house, and when they get here, tell them your only job is to run between the guards, gaps, between the tackles ONLY.  Because it benefits the pass game (other positions).

Most backs out of high school run in space, outside etc.  We have done nothing different running with our backs than Riley did (up the middle, 2 yards).

I think the offensive scheme needs to give the backs opportunity to go outside, like we did for ameer, rex, helu.  I think we fail because of our running scheme is awful and trash. 

Why come only the recievers get to run the option?  That's stupid.

Continuity is fine.  The type of plays need to change.  Specifically running plays and less "slow developing pass plays". 

Now that's just day one stuff.

That was my point.  The lack of continuity on O is a problem.  The scheme and play calling.  Jekyll and Hyde......I think that we are agreeing.  The D has had it. The O has not.  We recruit guys and have them play "out of position" for lack of  a better word. Wan'dale as RB because we had no one else (I'm looking at you Held).  I agree with  (as an example) Betts running the option......As a WR.....To never be seen again....making AM be a pocket passer.  No misdirection to slow up the D.  Play calling and use of or misuse of personal sucks.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The O has two really big issues.....sacks allowed and red zone efficiency.

The O is and had been among the leaders in total yards and rushing yards.  Gotta figure out how to protect better and put points on the board 

The O is horrific at best.  Red zone O is basically non-existent. IIRC, 3 trips at Minnie resulted in zero points.  The OL sucks at pass pro, but why do we have slow developing routes, not use a 2 back set to help block, run 12/13 personnel more....Roll AM out.  Do some counters or traps...Shuttle pass etc...Anything to buy him time.  And knowing he is hurt and can't run, we have him throw 31 times.  Because we know he can't use the one thing that makes him so deadly.  His legs. So we can't roll him out....Can't run part of the O because he can't run and really do not call plays to help or try another QB to get a spark, confuse Minnie, help AM....That's the craptastic coaching and scheme that sadly has, IMHO, becmome a hallmark of the Scott Frost error.....

This article is brutal.....And pretty accurate..5-17 in 1 score games...0-5 this year.  Yes, red zone, scheme, play calling and OL....And not much from the staff to attempt to scheme around our deficiencies.  

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/chatelain-the-lost-opportunities-and-unbelievability-of-scott-frosts-one-score-losses/article_4f1d757c-3295-11ec-b257-173c086cba33.html

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

The O is horrific at best.  Red zone O is basically non-existent. IIRC, 3 trips at Minnie resulted in zero points.  The OL sucks at pass pro, but why do we have slow developing routes, not use a 2 back set to help block, run 12/13 personnel more....Roll AM out.  Do some counters or traps...Shuttle pass etc...Anything to buy him time.  And knowing he is hurt and can't run, we have him throw 31 times.  Because we know he can't use the one thing that makes him so deadly.  His legs. So we can't roll him out....Can't run part of the O because he can't run and really do not call plays to help or try another QB to get a spark, confuse Minnie, help AM....That's the craptastic coaching and scheme that sadly has, IMHO, becmome a hallmark of the Scott Frost error.....

This article is brutal.....And pretty accurate..5-17 in 1 score games...0-5 this year.  Yes, red zone, scheme, play calling and OL....And not much from the staff to attempt to scheme around our deficiencies.  

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/chatelain-the-lost-opportunities-and-unbelievability-of-scott-frosts-one-score-losses/article_4f1d757c-3295-11ec-b257-173c086cba33.html

they probably dont roll him out because he'd just run into the defenders that are constantly beating the OT sooner. clock management gotta have that extra second.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Understood.

I don't agree that the offense is horrific and I think the scheme is pretty good.

I think everyone is aware of the one score losses under Frost.....iand ronically......I'm old enough to remember when our biggest complaint was blowouts.

......but many won't acknowledge progress 

Fortunately......at least from my perspective.....we have leaders and decision makers who do see it 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Understood.

I don't agree that the offense is horrific and I think the scheme is pretty good.

I think everyone is aware of the one score losses under Frost.....iand ronically......I'm old enough to remember when our biggest complaint was blowouts.

......but many won't acknowledge progress 

Fortunately......at least from my perspective.....we have leaders and decision makers who do see it 

Same.  And when we only lost to OU or a bowl game.....LOL

I don’t disagree with progress as we have played MUCH closer this year against top teams.  But it’s still failing to move the needle into the win column.  Nor have we found a way to win the close games.  

I feel we we have a leader in Trev.  If we stumble further in these last 4 AND Trev can get his pick of HC, Frost is gone IMO.  There is too much articulable bad and really (IMO) just hope that we will do better.  This isn’t year 2.  It’s year 4.  I loved the hire.  I still love the Huskers.  I have respect for Frost as a player and what he’s tried to accomplish as a coach.  I just feel that as it stands now (3-5) he is not the coach for us moving forward.  Maybe staff changes gets more time (Solich should have gotten more), but staff changes are a whole other issue.  

I hate that that we have played so well against top tier teams and came up short this year.  Even getting one of those could have changed trajectory of this season.  At least if we beat Purdue, we finally will beat a ranked team..   

• Plus1 1