Sad Times

This place is sad to be around anymore, seems like there is no hope for the future.  Used to look forward to the games, week in and week out.  Hearing everyones opinion on whats going on, how recruting was going.  Now its just a sad place to be,  so many of us are just so frustrated and tired of the same old weekend stuff.  I havent put out my flag in 2 years, havent really worn my colors like i normally do also.  Just a dump topic to post i know, but i figured i would try and read the room.  Lots of posts lately are of nothing positive, just all the crap thats going on.  Nothing to really look forward to, if we are lucky and can win 3 more we get invited to a crappy bowl.  I dont know, wish these guys could just figure it out.

• Plus1 7

There are brighter days ahead.  This madness of CFB is so cyclic unless you get the once-in-a-generation Nick Saban hire.  Then you're pretty much good every year.

There are too many important people who care about this program to let it slip much further.  When things do turn for the better, It may seem like a long climb back up, but look at what MSU and Mel Tucker have done.  PJ in Minny.  Purdue may be trending up after a couple "off years".  I used to think Wisky was the team to shoot for, but Jim Leonhard has that D playing so good, he should be in line for a HC gig soon.  This plus without Alvarez around, I think Paul Chryst is just another average league coach.  Ferentz will retire someday, so Iowa could very well take a step back.  The West could be there for the taking in a couple years.  

• Plus1 1

I hate having bye weeks.  Even though the seasons the past 7 years (and TBH even before) were not remotely close to what I wanted to watch, I thoroughly enjoy watching them play. Frustrating, maddening and disappointing as it has become.....They’re are my team.  I’m numb to the losses and the stupid ways we continue to find lose, but I don’t get mad anymore.....

i like posting and reading different views.  Getting different opinions and the banter that goes back and forth.  Even if Frost and the whole staff return, I’ll be right back next year, hoping this will be the year NU finally returns...One day we will. Just gotta keep grinding.

• Plus1 2

I feel the frustration from all around as well. It’s almost impossible to avoid now. After Buffalo, OU, MSU, NW and MU, I felt it turning and was very excited. I sometimes listen to the game on radio archive because Matt says what I feel a lot of the time. After losses and disappointment, that gave me some solace because Matt was right there like a fan in the booth suffering along with me. After NW, he was freaking going crazy and it was so fun to hear his enthusiasm. Then Minny. It all came down. We feel like a 4-8 or even a 3-9 team. Hope is lost. Fire Frost and suffer in another transition. Keep him and a bowl seems unlikely for the sixth straight year. I couldn’t even listen to the game on archive. Pulled from the site. No game coverage. Maybe I should be happy with that since I was miserable enough without the radio version to possibly aggravate my mind. 

Frost was a hero of mine as a kid. As a teen and young adult he remained an icon I loved keeping tabs on, listening to him speak, etc. 

But sadly his era has taken me from 'block out my entire schedule surrounding when the game is' all the way to 'if I'm free I'll watch, if not oh well'. Also took me from, win or lose, rewatching every game, all the way to even if i miss a game entirely, or can only casually watch on my phone while preoccupied with something else, not wanting to ever see it again. 

It's not all his fault. The decline started Riley's last year, he's had the most bizarro-world circumstances ever happen to him, so on and so forth, but yeah, no real optimism to be found anywhere as of right now.

I mean, you can’t really blame people for having a gloomy outlook. Despite all of the supposed progress, there still hasn’t been any change in the win column. For a fan base that was raised on guaranteed 9+ win seasons, it’s depressing. Top it off with our #80ish recruiting class and things aren’t looking too promising. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, admo said:

Come on man, buck up dawg.

2 weeks ago against Michigan, that was one of the best games of the year across the nation.  It was ABC.  It was back and forth.  It was a comeback in the making.  We had them too.  s#!t went bad at the end, but man was it fun.

Against Michigan State, we dominated them.  We was up 7.  There was only 4 minutes in the game.  They had only 11 first downs and 50 yards rushing (roughly from memory).  We had this game won.  It was intense, and a fun night (road game).

Oklahoma.  Damn son, we was suppose to lose 58-14.  This game was physical, and was a good ol' fashion throwback.  It was fairly close all the way, and we had some opportunities for an upset.

All 3 games were against ranked opponents, and that we was underdogs.  Look how much fun it was, because it's only a few weeks back.

I just recommend seeing it for what it is.  That we are real close to turning a corner.  And these games prove that there is no game in front of us that we cannot compete in to the end.  Might even pull off some upsets.  There are a lot of great games ahead of us to get up for, and you don't want to miss it.  So enjoy your bye week like errbody else, and come back ready for purdue.

b!^@h ;)

^^° This....  C'mon @Stone Cold if my 85 year old mom can watch every play or every game dressed from head to toe in red you can hang in there.  Until last week's debacle the games have been great.  Yeah we lost but you jump now you might miss an upset or two.  Besides you want a futile fan existence, try being a Lions fan.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I'm an optimist but also a realist.  I'm sad because it currently looks likely that Frost has a very steep uphill battle to keep his job.  Pretty unlikely that we turn this around this season.  That said, I still enjoy watching the games and still hold out hope that we win 3 of the last 4, make a bowl game, and win to finish 7-5.  If we do that, Illinois and Minnesota will be all but forgotten to the optimistic crowd.  The national narrative would be very positive and we could have an off season debating whether we win 8 or 10 next year.  However unlikely, it is possible so I'll hold out hope.  

If that hope is ruined, I'll do my best to embrace whatever happens next.

• Plus1 2

I was semi optimistic after the Michigan game, still upset with Martinez’s fumble even though I thought his forward progress had stopped. 

But to come out for a must win Minnesota game, a Minnesota team that isn’t very good, to play so poorly because you weren’t  “up” for that game and a lot of the play calling took what little optimistic view I had with the team, shattered it into a million pieces and now I’m in full blown apathy mode. I don’t have enough “juice” to watch another game this year, I just don’t care about this team. 

We’re gonna have another losing season making that now 6 losing seasons in 7 years. The coaches and players just don’t seem smart enough to fix the mistakes they’ve continued to make from their previous games and years prior.

I’ve seen enough from this all talk excuse making coaching and go find someone worth a damn that will coach a discipline and fundamental football team. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Apathy said:

I was semi optimistic after the Michigan game, still upset with Martinez’s fumble even though I thought his forward progress had stopped. 

But to come out for a must win Minnesota game, a Minnesota team that isn’t very good, to play so poorly because you weren’t  “up” for that game and a lot of the play calling took what little optimistic view I had with the team, shattered it into a million pieces and now I’m in full blown apathy mode. I don’t have enough “juice” to watch another game this year, I just don’t care about this team. 

We’re gonna have another losing season making that now 6 losing seasons in 7 years. The coaches and players just don’t seem smart enough to fix the mistakes they’ve continued to make from their previous games and years prior.

I’ve seen enough from this all talk excuse making coaching and go find someone worth a damn that will coach a discipline and fundamental football team. 

So honest question- If Nebraska wins 3 of their next 4 and makes a bowl game, would you be in favor of making a coaching change?

9 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

This place is sad to be around anymore, seems like there is no hope for the future.  Used to look forward to the games, week in and week out.  Hearing everyones opinion on whats going on, how recruting was going.  Now its just a sad place to be,  so many of us are just so frustrated and tired of the same old weekend stuff.  I havent put out my flag in 2 years, havent really worn my colors like i normally do also.  Just a dump topic to post i know, but i figured i would try and read the room.  Lots of posts lately are of nothing positive, just all the crap thats going on.  Nothing to really look forward to, if we are lucky and can win 3 more we get invited to a crappy bowl.  I dont know, wish these guys could just figure it out.

Been ages since feeling real good about the program.  The close losses this year against two good teams helped, but we could not sustain the good play as the season wore on.  So, yeah... not feeling so good about them, although I admit to seeing a bit of hope.. can't put it in the Scott Frost coaching abilities much.. just don't know and that's what's so sad.

I've been a die hard Husker fan since 1970.  I joined the Okla Cornhusker Club in 2000 and this is the 1st year that I have not attended the Club.  I started this year with a wait and see attitude - and then Illinois happened. That was it.  I decided it wasn't worth that much emotional effort/investment until the work on the field started to match the preseason hype from Frost.   I finally got enough courage to drink some kool aid after the Michigan near win.  Then Minne happened.  Reality set in and I realized that Frost has no answers and can only take this team so far. I soooo wanted him to succeed for all of the selfish and unselfish reasons but it is what it is and I think a business, not emotional, decision has to be made by the higher ups starting wt Trev. Apathy is at our doorstep and the "we are 'this close'" statements won't turn back the flood of apathy that is coming if some drastic measures aren't taken.

I do think better days are ahead. There has been too big of an investment into this program for it to slide into a deeper hole.  Some great, EXPERIENCED HEAD COACH will see this as a golden opportunity - where else can you find the emotional buy in of the fan base (especially for a team wt 5 losing seasons in a row), where else can you find the environment & energy of the Michigan game - one would have thought we were playing for the conference championship that night.  where else can you find the commitment of boosters, administration and the whole state like you see at Nebraska.  Some coach will realize that they can make this a very unique place and visualize that their path to the playoffs is easier here than in the SEC or via one of the 2nd rate conferences.   There is no place like Nebraska. So we will get it turned around.  Us fans, we got to let go of the past  - the 1990s are no more.  Perhaps Scott Frost was our last 'life line' to that era.  It is time to cut the cord and let the next great coach come in an Make Nebraska Great Again with a new vision of what we can be.  GBR.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1