Sad Times

4 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

I recently lost my best friend to Covid. The memorial service is this saturday. It has slammed me in the face to reassess life and what is important. Tears have flowed freely as I think about times together. I'll always cheer for Big Red win or lose but they are no longer at the top of the list.

Condolences to you Tony.   A couple of weeks ago I lost my best friend to a long battle against a brain tumor and then spinal meningitis.   Friends, Family are the real priorities.  Football is just a distraction to life for most of us. Grieve well my friend and remember forever.  Memories keep our loved ones alive. 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Honest Question:  Do you in your heart of hearts believe we can win 3 of 4?  

I wouldn't bet on it but I think we absolutely can.  We get 2 very winnable games at home and one winnable game on the road.  However unlikely, it is possible so fits into the "can".  We have shown we are capable of competing with good teams.  I think it is reasonable to think that, with an extra week of prep, we can beat Purdue at home.  It would be a win against a ranked team that could be a spark.  I don't hold out much hope against Ohio State but will watch and hope for the upset.  Who knows, maybe the weather will be absolutely crap and it ends up being a low scoring game where anything can happen?  Then we get another bye week to game plan for Wisconsin.  Win that one and we are 5-6... guessing the boys would be pretty excited and motivated for Iowa.

Tons of ifs, hopes, and assumptions but yes, I believe we can.  It's now or never for this staff imo.       

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I wouldn't bet on it but I think we absolutely can.  We get 2 very winnable games at home and one winnable game on the road.  However unlikely, it is possible so fits into the "can".  We have shown we are capable of competing with good teams.  I think it is reasonable to think that, with an extra week of prep, we can beat Purdue at home.  It would be a win against a ranked team that could be a spark.  I don't hold out much hope against Ohio State but will watch and hope for the upset.  Who knows, maybe the weather will be absolutely crap and it ends up being a low scoring game where anything can happen?  Then we get another bye week to game plan for Wisconsin.  Win that one and we are 5-6... guessing the boys would be pretty excited and motivated for Iowa.

Tons of ifs, hopes, and assumptions but yes, I believe we can.  It's now or never for this staff imo.       

I appreciate the optimism. 

37 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So honest question- If Nebraska wins 3 of their next 4 and makes a bowl game, would you be in favor of making a coaching change?

They’re not going to win 3 of the next 4 games. This team couldn’t beat a bad Illinois team and get up for a bad Minnesota team in a must win game.

• Plus1 5

9 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

This place is sad to be around anymore, seems like there is no hope for the future.  Used to look forward to the games, week in and week out.  Hearing everyones opinion on whats going on, how recruting was going.  Now its just a sad place to be,  so many of us are just so frustrated and tired of the same old weekend stuff.  I havent put out my flag in 2 years, havent really worn my colors like i normally do also.  Just a dump topic to post i know, but i figured i would try and read the room.  Lots of posts lately are of nothing positive, just all the crap thats going on.  Nothing to really look forward to, if we are lucky and can win 3 more we get invited to a crappy bowl.  I dont know, wish these guys could just figure it out.

Part of the reason for the sadness is that reality is starting to set in for many fans that Frost is not the elite coach we thought we were getting in 2018.  I think most fans saw his impressive 2017 season at UCF and assumed that could be replicated at Nebraska.  In reality, that 2017 is the outlier in the career of a head coach that is on track to have only one winning season in 6 years as a head coach.  Nearly all fans wanted their former player to be successful and bring the program back, and some still feel in their hearts that Frost is the answer.  Unfortunately the results and data show otherwise, and we are in this weird position where many are starting to feel it's time to move on but struggle with letting a former player go.  

What keeps me optimistic is that there are still plenty of other great coaches out there, and all we need is the right coach to click to get things rolling again for Husker Nation.  We have seen other programs hire new coaches (that are not the biggest names in the business) that have brought about quick results, and the same can happen for NU.  We have had 2 poor coaches since Pelini left, but surely the 3rd time will be another good coach to get us back to at least 8 or 9 wins a season.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Honest Question:  Do you in your heart of hearts believe we can win 3 of 4?  

If I went into a coma and woke up Dec 1st to hear that Neb won 3 out of 4, I wouldn’t be shocked. “Yeah they’ve been close all year and must’ve finally put it together.”

If I woke up to hear that they went 0-4, I also wouldn’t be shocked. “Yeah, they’ve consistently made critical errors at the worst possible moment and are seemingly incapable of ever rising to the occasion.”

That’s what makes this season so maddening. It’s all been within the grasp. With the last years of the Riley or Callahan era both teams were getting consistently outclassed and we all pretty much knew it was over for them. 

This team can absolutely win 3 out of 4. Will they? Almost assuredly not. My gut tells me they go 2-2, with a one score loss and 14+ point loss to OSU. 5-7 again and Trev being in the unenviable position of deciding to blow it up or to give Lucy one more chance to hold the football. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

So honest question- If Nebraska wins 3 of their next 4 and makes a bowl game, would you be in favor of making a coaching change?

No. If Nebraska wins 3 out of their next 4 it means the progress wasn't a mirage and we've logged three memorable football Saturdays in our Husker banks. We would have a bowl team that beat some of the Big 10s upper tier, and came damn close against others. At the moment it would mean we beat one or more ranked opponents, too. We would have momentum going into recruiting season.

If Nebraska wins 2 of their next 4, I would feel better than I do now. 

If Nebraska wins either one or none, does that mean there's no way around a coaching change?  Honest question. 

For the record, I'm still excited when I sit down to watch every Nebraska game. And I watch every single play. 

• Plus1 4
46 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. If Nebraska wins 3 out of their next 4 it means the progress wasn't a mirage and we've logged three memorable football Saturdays in our Husker banks. We would have a bowl team that beat some of the Big 10s upper tier, and came damn close against others. At the moment it would mean we beat one or more ranked opponents, too. We would have momentum going into recruiting season.

If Nebraska wins 2 of their next 4, I would feel better than I do now. 

If Nebraska wins either one or none, does that mean there's no way around a coaching change?  Honest question. 

For the record, I'm still excited when I sit down to watch every Nebraska game. And I watch every single play. 

That's a good question.  I honestly get the feeling Trev is going to give Scott another year regardless but I could be wrong.  If we finish poorly, I'm concerned we lose key people to the portal and struggle to finish out the recruiting cycle.   

I am still excited as well but a repeat of last Saturday would tone it down quite a bit.

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Condolences to you Tony.   A couple of weeks ago I lost my best friend to a long battle against a brain tumor and then spinal meningitis.   Friends, Family are the real priorities.  Football is just a distraction to life for most of us. Grieve well my friend and remember forever.  Memories keep our loved ones alive. 

Condolences to you as well. I can't imagine your struggle as these illnesses probably lingered for quite some time. For my friend it went from perfect health to death in 7 weeks.....5 weeks on a ventilator. 

Yeah, it's sad, but stick with it. I think we need to just accept that Frost isn't going anywhere, and just hope for the best. 

I don't know why, but for some reason, I think better days are ahead. While the current small recruiting class doesn't look great, there are 2 silver linings.

1) Frost has publicly said that he's looking for JUCOs and transfers. This is a good thing, and I'll bet a few good ones will land in Lincoln. It definitely worked wonders for K-State in the past, and Pelini got some dudes as well. Hopefully we get some great offensive or defensive linemen. 

2) We're young in a lot of places, and a lot of talented young guys being developed for future years. Fidone, Hutmacher, Gunnerson, Neville, etc. We also have a bunch of young guys out there making plays already: Yant, Johnson, Prochazka, Nouili, Rogers, Robinson, Reimer, Henrich, etc

3) There are Nebraska kids in that locker room that won't let anyone start throwing in the towel and slacking off. Do I think the fact that they are Nebraska kids means they're harder working or better than anyone else? No. What I do mean is that they've grown up in the CULTURE of Nebraska. Football to us is not just another sport, another thing; it is THE THING. They grew up hearing about Johnny Rodgers, the Triplets, Frazier, Berringer, 90's glory, even Crouch. They've grown up knowing what the standard will ALWAYS be for anyone with a red 'N' on their helmet. 

No one wants to hear about next year, but I think guys like Reimer, Nelson, Allen, Betts, Henrich kick everyone in the butt and get everyone working their tails off in the weight room this coming off season. I think they're done sitting home at Christmas wondering what could have been. They want to be the guys that lead Nebraska football back AT LEAST to post season play. 

Admit it. You're going to be there, just like me, living and dying on every play come next Saturday. It's okay. It's in our blood, no matter what. Go Big Red.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Yeah, it's sad, but stick with it. I think we need to just accept that Frost isn't going anywhere, and just hope for the best. 

I don't know why, but for some reason, I think better days are ahead. While the current small recruiting class doesn't look great, there are 2 silver linings.

1) Frost has publicly said that he's looking for JUCOs and transfers. This is a good thing, and I'll bet a few good ones will land in Lincoln. It definitely worked wonders for K-State in the past, and Pelini got some dudes as well. Hopefully we get some great offensive or defensive linemen. 

2) We're young in a lot of places, and a lot of talented young guys being developed for future years. Fidone, Hutmacher, Gunnerson, Neville, etc. We also have a bunch of young guys out there making plays already: Yant, Johnson, Prochazka, Nouili, Rogers, Robinson, Reimer, Henrich, etc

3) There are Nebraska kids in that locker room that won't let anyone start throwing in the towel and slacking off. Do I think the fact that they are Nebraska kids means they're harder working or better than anyone else? No. What I do mean is that they've grown up in the CULTURE of Nebraska. Football to us is not just another sport, another thing; it is THE THING. They grew up hearing about Johnny Rodgers, the Triplets, Frazier, Berringer, 90's glory, even Crouch. They've grown up knowing what the standard will ALWAYS be for anyone with a red 'N' on their helmet. 

No one wants to hear about next year, but I think guys like Reimer, Nelson, Allen, Betts, Henrich kick everyone in the butt and get everyone working their tails off in the weight room this coming off season. I think they're done sitting home at Christmas wondering what could have been. They want to be the guys that lead Nebraska football back AT LEAST to post season play. 

Admit it. You're going to be there, just like me, living and dying on every play come next Saturday. It's okay. It's in our blood, no matter what. Go Big Red.

The transfer comment at least means he fully gets the urgency.  Freshman in 2022 won't help a bit if you don't win a bunch of games next year and get canned.  Need difference makers plugged in right away.

11 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Whether Coach Frost gets shown the door at the end of this year or next year, I think it is inevitable.  Scott Frost the player was pretty darn good, Scott Frost the coach might be Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, or Ed Orgeron.  I was excited for the hire but some things don't work out.  Keeping him around longer as a coach isn't going to change the trajectory of the program in a positive way.  It's going to be worse than when T.O. and Doc were crying as Sadler was well liked but didn't win enough to keep his job.  It's just a matter of time whether they want to face reality after this year or next.

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Whether Coach Frost gets shown the door at the end of this year or next year, I think it is inevitable.  Scott Frost the player was pretty darn good, Scott Frost the coach might be Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, or Ed Orgeron.  I was excited for the hire but some things don't work out.  Keeping him around longer as a coach isn't going to change the trajectory of the program in a positive way.  It's going to be worse than when T.O. and Doc were crying as Sadler was well liked but didn't win enough to keep his job.  It's just a matter of time whether they want to face reality after this year or next.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just get the feeling that, last week notwithstanding, Frost has them on the doorstep. Next year could be a real breakout year, 9+ wins, and I think that gives Frost a lot more rope. They just SEEM stronger, faster, better in several different positions. 

I disagree with Frost's offensive philosophy for the most part, but we haven't gotten blown out yet. While it's not much, it is a step in the right direction. I'm the kind of person that would take, if given no other option, losing 23-30 to Minnesota over losing 21-54.  The biggest difference is that we shouldn't have lost last week, where we literally had no chance in 2017 - it was so pathetic.

We're gettin' there.