Sad Times

27 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If Frost goes 0-4 down this stretch, does he resign and negotiate a buyout?  That way he left on his own terms.  

Depends on how the games go, but I doubt it. I don't think Trev pulls the trigger this year, no matter what. Buyout is too big.

2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Whether Coach Frost gets shown the door at the end of this year or next year, I think it is inevitable.  Scott Frost the player was pretty darn good, Scott Frost the coach might be Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, or Ed Orgeron.  I was excited for the hire but some things don't work out.  Keeping him around longer as a coach isn't going to change the trajectory of the program in a positive way.  It's going to be worse than when T.O. and Doc were crying as Sadler was well liked but didn't win enough to keep his job.  It's just a matter of time whether they want to face reality after this year or next.

Those guys all won national titles.  I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying Frost will never and I mean NEVER win a National Championship as a HC.  I think Frost is much more likely to end up like Clay Helton.  Had one good year which hoodwinked everyone into thinking he's a good HC turns out, he's not.

• Plus1 2

I don't enjoy watching the team play anymore. It's stressful, not fun. It's really only a fun feeling at kickoff when we're playing a Fordham or a Buffalo.

When the defense has an awesome game, the offense can't get it going (Michigan State). When the offense gets it going, the defense gives out (Michigan). Then you have those games where we just look like a Sun Belt team (Illinois, Minnesota).

There's nothing fun or exciting about Husker football when the team can't even go .500.

The close wins against good teams meant more for me when the only real blown game we had against mediocre competition was just the Illinois game, but after the Minnesota game those close games don't mean jack. Our team sucks and there's no compelling argument otherwise unless we win 3 out of the next 4.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I don't enjoy watching the team play anymore. It's stressful, not fun. It's really only a fun feeling at kickoff when we're playing a Fordham or a Buffalo.

When the defense has an awesome game, the offense can't get it going (Michigan State). When the offense gets it going, the defense gives out (Michigan). Then you have those games where we just look like a Sun Belt team (Illinois, Minnesota).

There's nothing fun or exciting about Husker football when the team can't even go .500.

The close wins against good teams meant more for me when the only real blown game we had against mediocre competition was just the Illinois game, but after the Minnesota game those close games don't mean jack. Our team sucks and there's no compelling argument otherwise unless we win 3 out of the next 4.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy it anymore.

Can't argue with the OP.  We are starting our tail gates downtown a few hours later than normal.  Our attendance for free booze and food has been lacking (30/40 people vs 70 plus), and I am finding myself doing more on weekends (mowing/golfing- stuff I would do after the game listening to radio about our game) when we are on the road.

Many of my HS/college buddies had long email stream discussing the Huskers (started in 2004)...we started to go dark last season and not a peep this year.  Just like the movie "Yes, Man"  to quote: "and on most nights you're so bored and filled with ennui, you can't even summon the enthusiasm necessary to masturbate."- kind of my feelings now.  Low energy to discuss the team, buy a product, attend the games including the road game to OK.

Now, in full truth- a silly loss still upsets me for a few days.  My wife finds me mumbling to myself about bad plays and close calls until Monday. So all is not lost.  I am excited as hell for basketball (season tickets since 1985).  I am concerned, basketball is a great practice team and that does not always transfer to the court.  I think fan attendance will will us to a couple victories we might not have been favored for.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Those guys all won national titles.  I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying Frost will never and I mean NEVER win a National Championship as a HC.  I think Frost is much more likely to end up like Clay Helton.  Had one good year which hoodwinked everyone into thinking he's a good HC turns out, he's not.

He did go 13-0 and beat Auburn.  I don't care about lame SEC excuses about effort in the bowl game.  From 0-12 two years earlier under O'Leary is still an impressive feat.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

He did go 13-0 and beat Auburn.  I don't care about lame SEC excuses about effort in the bowl game.  From 0-12 two years earlier under O'Leary is still an impressive feat.

I mean...sure I guess?  I think it's more of a case of the players quit on O'Leary versus lack of talent seeing as O'Leary led UCF to a 12-1 finish and a Fiesta Bowl win 2 years prior to the 0-12 and a 9-4 finish the year prior.  It was definitely a perfect storm that Frost walked into and to his credit, he capitalized on it, no doubt about it.

12 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Agreed that it was an impressive feat. Past tense. But it doesn't have much to do with what's going on with our program right now in my opinion.

It shows that Frost is capable of leading a team to a great season. But he's not doing it here. And not only is he not leading us to a "great season," he can't even get a team to go .500.

I think he can go 7-5 next year and start to turn it around. And he sure as hell better because it isn't asking much when you weigh all of the resources we have to get it done.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Agreed that it was an impressive feat. Past tense. But it doesn't have much to do with what's going on with our program right now in my opinion.

It shows that Frost is capable of leading a team to a great season. But he's not doing it here. And not only is he not leading us to a "great season," he can't even get a team to go .500.

I think he can go 7-5 next year and start to turn it around. And he sure as hell better because it isn't asking much when you weigh all of the resources we have to get it done.

One of the reasons for the new facility is because our facilities have been falling behind.

I can't remember what last years revenue sharing was per school, but I believe it was a little above $50 million per.

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

One of the reasons for the new facility is because our facilities have been falling behind.

Which is definitely one of the big reasons for the furthered parity in college football. Look at Northwestern's practice field. Look at Indiana; kids didn't give them a look previously as a football school, but now they do.

They have the money to spend to have an iPad in every locker and a hologram of Ariana Grande cupping your b***s.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Which is definitely one of the big reasons for the furthered parity in college football. Look at Northwestern's practice field. Look at Indiana; kids didn't give them a look previously as a football school, but now they do.

They have the money to spend to have an iPad in every locker and a hologram of Ariana Grande cupping your b***s.

Exactly.

There are still many posters who think Nebraska is miles ahead in resources, facilities etc.

We're not.

It's a main reason conference affiliation is so important right now.  The B1G was tops last year I believe 

So when we make fun of a school like Purdue for example....well, they made major upgrades the past 2-3 years.

Nebraska has the shiny new toy being built now with Greene and Davison spearheading it.