Anyone Believe We Are 1-2 Pieces Away?

14 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I was reading a Hail Varsity article where Frost said this, "When you’re as close as we’ve been one or two more pieces will get you over the hump."

That's delusional to me.  

Your input?

Source:  https://hailvarsity.com/football-recruiting/nebraska-recruiting-scott-frost-ready-to-hit-road-recruiting-during-bye-week/

What do you think is delusional about it?

• Plus1 2

It's a very difficult question to answer.  When you play so many really good teams so close, and, in those losses, you can point to one or two plays that would have changed the outcome, it makes me think we are that close. (no, that isn't saying they are moral victories.  We lost and that sucks).

However, it seems like in so many of those games, it's a different player here or there that could have/should have made the play.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a very difficult question to answer.  When you play so many really good teams so close, and, in those losses, you can point to one or two plays that would have changed the outcome, it makes me think we are that close. (no, that isn't saying they are moral victories.  We lost and that sucks).

However, it seems like in so many of those games, it's a different player here or there that could have/should have made the play.

I don't know this for certain but I do think Frost is mostly referring to the OL....and especially the right side.

Two of our worst stats are sacks allowed and red zone efficiency.

We get those stats better and we've won every close game by 10 points.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I don't know this for certain but I do think Frost is mostly referring to the OL....and especially the right side.

Two of our worst stats are sacks allowed and red zone efficiency.

We get those stats better and we've won every close game by 10 points.

I'm sure he would like a different kicker or a back up RB that doesn't trip...etc.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm sure he would like a different kicker or a back up RB that doesn't trip...etc.

No disagreement on the kicker.....and we now have several examples of why Yant wasn't seeing the field as much.

But if Martinez touchdown is given the play before Yant's carry never happens.

I'm simply saying the primary issue is the OL.  A better OL and our offensive stats are waaay better.....including PPG.

25 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Really hoping there are decent OL transfers in the portal. Will be the biggest impact we can make on this team. 

Yes....Frost has been unhappy since Michigan State got 7 sacks against us.

And Frost has said a most troubling stat is we are by far last in the league with sacks allowed.

What I don't like about the comment is that it absolves the coaches.  They whether he's aware of it or not...have also played a role in the current state of Husker football.

Pieces wise yes.  I too have thought we most certainly could use some better offensive lineman and a more reliable quarterback and if so this team could/would be entirely different.  Still not without warts and by warts I mean the coaching staff.

• Plus1 3