Anyone Believe We Are 1-2 Pieces Away?

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We aren’t just 1-2 players away but we are definitely 2-4 Impact players away (plus an adequate kicker) from being an 8-9 win team.  We have really good stable of complementary players, which was evident in the close losses to the top teams.  

This years team is a stud left tackle, an upper echelon Rush end and a QB who doesn’t piss down his leg with less than 4:00 minutes on the clock from being a Top 15 team (plus an adequate kicker). 

If you have the "stud left tackle." You probably don't have the QB problem.

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We aren’t just 1-2 players away but we are definitely 2-4 Impact players away (plus an adequate kicker) from being an 8-9 win team.  We have really good stable of complementary players, which was evident in the close losses to the top teams.  

This years team is a stud left tackle, an upper echelon Rush end and a QB who doesn’t piss down his leg with less than 4:00 minutes on the clock from being a Top 15 team (plus an adequate kicker). 

We have the stud left tackle.  He's injured.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The left tackle didn’t throw any INT’s, have fumbles, or miss wide open receivers for first downs and TD’s in two and four minute drills that I am aware of. 

Poor left tackle just contributes to those errors. But hey, it's the qb's fault he gets hit a second or two after receiving the snap. We should minimalize every mitigating factor in every play. Receiver turns out when he should have turned in, qb should have read his mind. Receiver pulls up on a deep route, qb should know this and not throw so deep. Rb trips on his own feet, qb should right him and act as his legs until he gets his back.

I know how I am viewing the game this week, only AM wins or loses.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I didn't want to take away or distract any thread ... so I'm putting this thought into this post which I actually started.

As we are in the midst of what it looks like a lot of offensive pieces and specifically WR prospects selecting and perhaps selecting :bigredn:, for me, I've been watching the DL position [which can also be perhaps a few LB types who might grow into DL].  

Anyway, of the list of guys I've been following, which are out best 4* type of guys, it looks like we might get 2 of them.  Here are the guys:  Poppel, Howard, Thompson and Lenhardt, Hill.  

We secured Poppel [LB], who might grow into DE.  Looks like Howard committed to Oregon State.  My guess is we are on the outside for Thompson and Hill [OU lean?].  So, it looks like Lenhardt is our next best hope.

Any other thoughts or insights others have about who we are looking at who might be better than this list?  It seems that this was the best we could hope for and we will only get 1, possible 2 of them.

Thanks.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:20 PM, BigRedN said:

I didn't want to take away or distract any thread ... so I'm putting this thought into this post which I actually started.

As we are in the midst of what it looks like a lot of offensive pieces and specifically WR prospects selecting and perhaps selecting :bigredn:, for me, I've been watching the DL position [which can also be perhaps a few LB types who might grow into DL].  

Anyway, of the list of guys I've been following, which are out best 4* type of guys, it looks like we might get 2 of them.  Here are the guys:  Poppel, Howard, Thompson and Lenhardt, Hill.  

We secured Poppel [LB], who might grow into DE.  Looks like Howard committed to Oregon State.  My guess is we are on the outside for Thompson and Hill [OU lean?].  So, it looks like Lenhardt is our next best hope.

Any other thoughts or insights others have about who we are looking at who might be better than this list?  It seems that this was the best we could hope for and we will only get 1, possible 2 of them.

Thanks.

Only comment may be that they seem determined to fill up this class via high school guys and not so much via transfers - looking at the numbers at this point.  Apparently, they feel better about the 3 star guys they can get vs waiting for potential portal guys later.  Not sure if that means they are confident with the roster as is in the short run and want to develop youth long term. Or it could mean the well for both is drying up?  On paper the portal seemed pretty good for them but maybe not as much as we’d hoped.  

17 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Only comment may be that they seem determined to fill up this class via high school guys and not so much via transfers - looking at the numbers at this point.  Apparently, they feel better about the 3 star guys they can get vs waiting for potential portal guys later.  Not sure if that means they are confident with the roster as is in the short run and want to develop youth long term. Or it could mean the well for both is drying up?  On paper the portal seemed pretty good for them but maybe not as much as we’d hoped.  

@84HuskerLaw, say, thanks for your insight sir.

17 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think they will almost always fill up as much as they can with HS kids. 

We are now in an era of a lot of attrition through the portal. So, hopefully those are mostly at the lower end of the depth chart and can be replaced with other Portal guys. 

So, in the past when we would take 20-25 HS kids and be done, now we will take those 20-25 and add 5-10 portal guys too. 

From now on, there will be much more roster turnover. And, that doesn’t matter how good or bad we are. 

• Plus1 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:14 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I think they will almost always fill up as much as they can with HS kids. 

We are now in an era of a lot of attrition through the portal. So, hopefully those are mostly at the lower end of the depth chart and can be replaced with other Portal guys. 

So, in the past when we would take 20-25 HS kids and be done, now we will take those 20-25 and add 5-10 portal guys too. 

From now on, there will be much more roster turnover. And, that doesn’t matter how good or bad we are. 

So the NIL $ is going to be more like signing bonus than pay for play?   I like shopping the portal more for upper class men if the trend is for more and more guys to move around after a season or two.  I’d rather have a 1-2 year guy that’s a junior vs frosh/soph.  Big ten is tough enough with mature, experienced guys, over 1-2 year frosh.  If we re-roster yearly, it’ll be ugly continually I’m afraid.  Grad rates will plummet if anyone cares anymore!   Lol