Anyone Believe We Are 1-2 Pieces Away?

25 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

“We’re looking for immediate impact guys” made me laugh. Yeah us and literally every other P5 program. What’s next, we’re trying to recruit the top prospects in the country, we’re trying to get the top players in the state. 

It is kinda funny how quickly our receiving group got better.  With transfers.

A coach really can’t win either way with these comments. Sure, you get the right two pieces (OL please) and things are instantly better. But that doesn’t mean that is the only issue holding us back. A coach has to make the pieces he does have work. It’s year 4 for godsakes. If he’s missing one or two pieces, whose fault is that?

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, TheSker said:

What do you think is delusional about it?

Well, what position on the team is so good that you wouldn't take a replacement or a better backup?  This current team of starters has won three games, two of them are Buffalo and Fordham.  They aren't good enough to beat Illinois or Minnesota ... and that's just this year.  Next year, you lose various "good" players that currently can't get beat out by backups. 

So, just stay within the B1G, don't even go to other conferences ... and tell me who you wouldn't take another player in the conference over your own.  I'm not enamored by any position or player.  If this was Fantasy Football, I'd be entertaining any trade presenting me ... and looking for as many suckers as I could.  Ha ha.  If you take our OL, we are in need of 3-4 guys alone.  It's horrid.  At QB, our best player can't perform in crunch time.  Our #1 at QB would be the backup on a Top 20 team.  Is the 1-2 players away a kicker or punter?  I mean ... please.  

It was sounding like a lot of the board was thinking that Frost is coaching for his job.  I don't share that view.  I think both he and the administration like what they got.  Frost saying that they are just 1-2 players away seems to show that.  I was just curious to hear if the folks who think he is coaching for job think also that he is only 1-2 players away.

For me, this team is 20 players away from being competitive in the 8-4 or 9-3 area  and probably 40 players away from being a Top 10-15 program.  That doesn't mean that we can't win a big game or look good ... but we don't seem to fair well against teams like that are middle to bottom dwellers even in our own conference.  My guess is that we have made strides and show improvement, but we get wore out and then can't beat who we certainly could.  Does 1-2 "pieces" fix that?  Not for me.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Well, what position on the team is so good that you wouldn't take a replacement or a better backup?  This current team of starters has won three games, two of them are Buffalo and Fordham.  They aren't good enough to beat Illinois or Minnesota ... and that's just this year.  Next year, you lose various "good" players that currently can't get beat out by backups. 

So, just stay within the B1G, don't even go to other conferences ... and tell me who you wouldn't take another player in the conference over your own.  I'm not enamored by any position or player.  If this was Fantasy Football, I'd be entertaining any trade presenting me ... and looking for as many suckers as I could.  Ha ha.  If you take our OL, we are in need of 3-4 guys alone.  It's horrid.  At QB, our best player can't perform in crunch time.  Our #1 at QB would be the backup on a Top 20 team.  Is the 1-2 players away a kicker or punter?  I mean ... please.  

It was sounding like a lot of the board was thinking that Frost is coaching for his job.  I don't share that view.  I think both he and the administration like what they got.  Frost saying that they are just 1-2 players away seems to show that.  I was just curious to hear if the folks who think he is coaching for job think also that he is only 1-2 players away.

For me, this team is 20 players away from being competitive in the 8-4 or 9-3 area  and probably 40 players away from being a Top 10-15 program.  That doesn't mean that we can't win a big game or look good ... but we don't seem to fair well against teams like that are middle to bottom dwellers even in our own conference.  My guess is that we have made strides and show improvement, but we get wore out and then can't beat who we certainly could.  Does 1-2 "pieces" fix that?  Not for me.

Ok

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

It is kinda funny how quickly our receiving group got better.  With transfers.

If only we were able to identify receivers out of HS and develop and keep them on campus. I guess their are multiple ways to skin a cat though. Hopefully Lubick can make this a reality if Frost is retained. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If only we were able to identify receivers out of HS and develop and keep them on campus. I guess their are multiple ways to skin a cat though. Hopefully Lubick can make this a reality if Frost is retained. 

Yeah, there are......and I think Frost has done a pretty good job getting transfers.

Building the OL is the toughest unit.  I think two transferred out before this season and two or three more might after this season.....which is perfectly fine 

B1G defensive lines are stout.

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Okay. No problem. People are wrong all the time about lots of different things.

20 to 40 players away.…:lol:

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

No disagreement on the kicker.....and we now have several examples of why Yant wasn't seeing the field as much.

But if Martinez touchdown is given the play before Yant's carry never happens.

I'm simply saying the primary issue is the OL.  A better OL and our offensive stats are waaay better.....including PPG.

So, is your 1-2 players a kicker and an OL person ... and then we are a 9-3 or 10-2 team?  Is that your view?

Coaching staffs don't do an about face on recruiting strategy mid stream that often.   If we're going heavy on juco and portal guys it tells me that it's win now mode & this staff doesn't have time to wait for development.  

This was the first time I've heard frost say, without saying, he's coaching for his job next year.

• Plus1 1
On 10/22/2021 at 5:22 PM, JJ Husker said:

Okay. No problem. People are wrong all the time about lots of different things.

20 to 40 players away.…:lol:

@JJHusker,

I get laughing at that.  I'm stating that for me, we are more in the range of 20-40 players away before we are 1-2 players away.

There are quite a few years/teams since 1969 [I remember rooting starting at the age of five], where I could point to really good seasons for Nebraska, where one would/could/should say, "Ah man, we were just 1-2 players away".  So, for me, that is the context of great teams who went something like 9-3 or 10-2, 11-1 type of things.  You can point to the 70-90's to see us winning a lot of games and a bad season was being or going 9-3 sort of thing.  There were a lot of great teams in those years and as we all know, there were other Natty's in those years that are not in the cupboards.  

So, when I hear Frost say things like, "Man, we are just 1-2 players away" and "that a really good football player there", Scott also coming from a championship team and knowing what all that takes [better than I], to me it sounds all delusional.  We could all go to past years and see if there is any player from a year that we would take over the current Huskers.  Overall, does the term "Blackshirt" mean anything in this type of year verses back in the years I'm talking about?  I think not?  AM, how does he compare to the QB's of our past ... it's not even close ... and the kid is a Junior and has started 4 years.  In the trenches on both DL and OL, we don't produce any push compared to our glory years ... but we are 1-2 players away on the whole team?  For me, Husker football is producing maybe 1-2 players for the NFL now [that's being very gracious].  I don't think over the next 2-3 years we will see boatloads of NFL talent coming from our roster.  It looks more like 2-3 players.  The good teams that most years are 1-2 players away every year have in their turnover 1-2 OL or DL players turning pro, just in those positions ... and then they repeat it again the next year.  There is always great talent that has developed and then needs to be replace.  Nebraska isn't even close in that endeavor.

I don't recall where the post is ... but if certain folks leave after the season, this current team goes into an easy schedule wondering how it will fair against the likes of Northwestern, North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Illinois, Minni, Purdue and Rutgers next year.  Again, for me, for a team that is just 1-2 players away ... that is an easy 7 wins right there.  Time will tell for sure.

Thanks for laughing and responding.  It's good to feel an opposite view.  So, if we are only 1-2 players away how in the world can you tolerate all this losing?  My record prediction for this year was 5-7.  4-8 was the low and 6-6 was the high.  Yet, it seems I'm more upset about our record this year than you.  We are on pace to hit my prediction.  I'll be curious to watch next year and see your record prediction for a team that should win be in the running for Natty.  I've sorta felt like we are just trying to beat the bottom dwellers of our side of the conference ... but a guy like you thinks we not only win our conference but represents the B1G in the National Championship.  That's amazing!

I think Frost, at best, has to mean that we are 1-2 players from being competitive.  Surely he can't mean he's "got this thing fixed".  If so, okay.  But I will still contend that the program is still more to 20 players away then 1-2.  However, my goal isn't to be competitive against our side of the conference and beat NW 56-7 and have the Illinois and Minni product on the field.  Those types of performances aren't 1-2 players away.  At this point, my fear is a fan like you will want to add a two-year extension onto this coach that is "only 1-2 players" away.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:47 PM, BigRedN said:

Good read.  This is not aimed at you.  1-2 players?  Which positions are those?  We have some good starters, but how many would start on the teams that are beating us? Take away the emotion of them being Huskers and I'd say maybe JoJo, CTB, Luke and Nick?  On offense?  I'm not sure.  I look at Manning, Betts and Toure because of their potential.  But I watch football on Sat like most of y'all and I go back to Corey Raymonds statement after losing to South Carolina. Look at them and look at us.  Year 4 and we trot out an injured AM because our back ups can't get the job done. RB....Name one that be on the 2 deep at any B1G school.......We get the stars here, but IMHO, it is currently a place where good players go to die.....We have shown a complete inability to develop them once on campus and develop the depth to stay fresh, healthy and have little to no drop off......That's coaching. Saying we are 1-2 guys away from winning is complete and utter BS. Who are the players coach?  Why haven't you plugged these in year 2.....Tired of the finger pointing that it's the fault of the kids HE recruited and hasn't developed that is costing us games.....

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

@JJHusker,

I get laughing at that.  I'm stating that for me, we are more in the range of 20-40 players away before we are 1-2 players away.

I've sorta felt like we are just trying to beat the bottom dwellers of our side of the conference ... but a guy like you thinks we not only win our conference but represents the B1G in the National Championship.  That's amazing!

At this point, my fear is a fan like you will want to add a two-year extension onto this coach that is "only 1-2 players" away.

Let me make this easier for you. You really have no idea what I think, feel or want to happen. I was laughing at your 20-40 players are statement because that is just ridiculous. That doesn’t mean I agree with being only 1 or 2 players to be in contention for nattys. But I also don’t think that is at all what Frost meant when he said it. You give me a couple more decent OL, this year, and we very well could be undefeated at this point in time. In that context, the proper context, he is not wrong about what he said. Whereas saying we are 20-40 players shows absolutely no respect or understanding of what it takes to win games. There is a lot more to it than having 4 and 5 star players all over the field. Sure the Joes help but it all has to be orchestrated into an operating machine and that machine has to be made to function regardless of who the Joes are.

So, I don’t agree with you AND I’m getting tired of Frost’s excuses. You don’t need to worry about what guys like me would or wouldn’t be in favor of and, please understand, you have no idea what that would be anyway.

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Let me make this easier for you. You really have no idea what I think, feel or want to happen. I was laughing at your 20-40 players are statement because that is just ridiculous. That doesn’t mean I agree with being only 1 or 2 players to be in contention for nattys. But I also don’t think that is at all what Frost meant when he said it. You give me a couple more decent OL, this year, and we very well could be undefeated at this point in time. In that context, the proper context, he is not wrong about what he said. Whereas saying we are 20-40 players shows absolutely no respect or understanding of what it takes to win games. There is a lot more to it than having 4 and 5 star players all over the field. Sure the Joes help but it all has to be orchestrated into an operating machine and that machine has to be made to function regardless of who the Joes are.

So, I don’t agree with you AND I’m getting tired of Frost’s excuses. You don’t need to worry about what guys like me would or wouldn’t be in favor of and, please understand, you have no idea what that would be anyway.

Glad to read your thoughts.  Thanks.  Well, at least you have a view of 3-4 players away.  I like that.

I was taking a beating before the season about stating that we need 2-3 stud OL every year.  The board's view was that we were set and could pass on OL this year. 

I'm probably looking at all this more like lo country.  Additionally, I don't think we have a stud at any position nor a replacement that would step up with a comparable skill set.  This was suppose to improve as Frost got established.  Thankfully, he's got 5 more years to "get this fixed".

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Glad to read your thoughts.  Thanks.  Well, at least you have a view of 3-4 players away.  I like that.

I was taking a beating before the season about stating that we need 2-3 stud OL every year.  The board's view was that we were set and could pass on OL this year. 

I'm probably looking at all this more like lo country.  Additionally, I don't think we have a stud at any position nor a replacement that would step up with a comparable skill set.  This was suppose to improve as Frost got established.  Thankfully, he's got 5 more years to "get this fixed".

I don’t think we’re any number of players away from winning many more games than we have been. We are a better OL away from being undefeated so far this season. That could be attributed to a lot of things other than specific players, and I think it is. Age/Experience, position coaching, play calling…..head coaching. We have the players we need right now today to have a lot more Ws and to be contending for the West. Might need a couple more to be getting past tOSU for the conference and beyond. The bigger issue is how they are being developed and utilized. More better Joes always helps but that really hasn’t been the issue this year imo. 

If the staff keeps learning and adapting to life in the B1G, I think we may get there soon. But that is the $64,000 if.

• Plus1 2

We aren’t just 1-2 players away but we are definitely 2-4 Impact players away (plus an adequate kicker) from being an 8-9 win team.  We have really good stable of complementary players, which was evident in the close losses to the top teams.  

This years team is a stud left tackle, an upper echelon Rush end and a QB who doesn’t piss down his leg with less than 4:00 minutes on the clock from being a Top 15 team (plus an adequate kicker). 

• Plus1 1