Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

Many of us native Nebraskans grew up eating chili & cinnamon rolls for school lunch. It was one of the more popular lunches when I was a kid.

We keep eating food that tastes good. Chili powder and cinnamon are a good flavor pairing. The sweetness of the rolls goes well with the spiciness of the chili.

The people who grew up with it are as bemused at the confusion of those who don't get the pairing as they are that we like it. I've seen people ask if you dunk your cinnamon roll in the chili, and while you can, it's not what I do. I pair fish with white wine, but I don't dunk my fish in the wine.

Funny thing is, I just made chili & cinnamon rolls for dinner last week. It's a great Fall dinner.

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

@knapplc I said popularized it, not originated it. :)

It was a staple of school lunch in several states before the 1960s. From your own link:

"The states of Iowa, Colorado, Nebraska, and Washington school systems all want to claim they started serving Chili and Cinnamon rolls in the early 1960’s."

If they were all claiming to have been serving it by the early 60s, it was prevalent quite a bit before that school lunch guidebook.

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

It was a staple of school lunch in several states before the 1960s. From your own link:

"The states of Iowa, Colorado, Nebraska, and Washington school systems all want to claim they started serving Chili and Cinnamon rolls in the early 1960’s."

If they were all claiming to have been serving it by the early 60s, it was prevalent quite a bit before that school lunch guidebook.

Wish my school in SD had it when I was growing up. Sounds great. I love both. I’ll have to try it for lunch this week