Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

Grew up in central Nebraska and have never tried nor had ever heard about it until recently. This thread is maybe one of the more informative on the board, now I know that you don’t smother the cinnamon roll in the chili which is what my brain assumed you must do. Will I try it at some point? I don’t know, I already like chili, but you all seem to really enjoy it that way. It is interesting to me that people that grew up with it think of it as quintessential Nebraska fare when I lived there 18 years without encountering it, must be one of those if you know, you know sort of things.

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, GSG said:

According to this super scientific BuzzFeed article, the weirdest food from Indiana is Roast Beef Manhattan which doesn't seem very weird at all 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/farrahpenn/heres-the-weirdest-food-every-state-is-known-for-according

Yeah that just looks like an open faced hot beef sandwich that you can get at a lot of places here in Omaha.  Just seems like a standard (awesome) diner dish.  The pie is an interesting twist.

I got a chance to get to Buffalo earlier this year and had a Beef on Weck for the first time in a few years.  Man, I'd love for a place here in Nebraska to do something similar.  I've gotten dangerously close to ordering the kit off of Goldbelly a couple times but I can't quite get myself to spend $100 on 4 sandwiches!

5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Yeah that just looks like an open faced hot beef sandwich that you can get at a lot of places here in Omaha.  Just seems like a standard (awesome) diner dish.  The pie is an interesting twist.

I got a chance to get to Buffalo earlier this year and had a Beef on Weck for the first time in a few years.  Man, I'd love for a place here in Nebraska to do something similar.  I've gotten dangerously close to ordering the kit off of Goldbelly a couple times but I can't quite get myself to spend $100 on 4 sandwiches!

after some research it's more available in the more rural parts of IN.  Guess its pretty popular in Shipshewana which is Amish country.  Pierogies are really  popular in Northwest Indiana  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Beef on Weck

Had to look that up - what's for lunch?

A beef on weck is a sandwich found primarily in Western New York State, particularly in the city of Buffalo. It is made with roast beef on a kummelweck roll, a roll that is topped with kosher salt and caraway seeds. The meat on the sandwich is traditionally served rare, thin cut, with the top bun getting a dip in au jus and spread with horseradish.

Wikipedia

See the source image

• Oh Yeah! 1

Yeah ohio, kentucky west virginia..  But my momma & aunties would add jalapenos and fried chicken with it. With a lot less cheese.  Never onions. And you couldn't even see the spaghettie because of so much delicious chili.  They added spaghetti only becos we were dirt poor lol

I've had the cincinnati style and it's ok.

Went to school in Central Nebraska.  For about two or three years the lady in charge of the kitchen actually made the cinnamon rolls from scratch (she had a catering business on the side).  That was one lunch you never missed was chili and cinnamon roll day.  The wrestlers were always sad because they were cutting weight and couldn't eat it.

• Plus1 1