Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

I was driving through Michigan once and stopped at the "wolverine truck stop".  Ordered a chili burger thinking it would a be a burger with chili on it.  A big bowl of chili came out and I thought maybe they were going to bring my burger next.  Started eating the chili and eventually go a spoon full of bread.  The damn burger was submerged in the chili.  just weird because then I had to eat it with a knife and fork.

14 minutes ago, RavHuskr said:

Went to school in Central Nebraska.  For about two or three years the lady in charge of the kitchen actually made the cinnamon rolls from scratch (she had a catering business on the side).  That was one lunch you never missed was chili and cinnamon roll day.  The wrestlers were always sad because they were cutting weight and couldn't eat it.

Ha. We used to torture the wrestlers on chili & cinnamon roll day. They’d be wearing their plastic sweat suits and spitting in a cup because they didn’t even want to swallow their own spit and we’d be yum yumming the wonderful food. We were dicks :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Ha. We used to torture the wrestlers on chili & cinnamon roll day. They’d be wearing their plastic sweat suits and spitting in a cup because they didn’t even want to swallow their own spit and we’d be yum yumming the wonderful food. We were dicks :lol:

I’d pay for seconds, just to piss the wrestlers off. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

Southern chili spaghetti  with garlic bread is the only way I roll.  Add a few raw jalapeno slices and omit the onions.  Add a dab of sour cream. 

Goes well with a few pieces of fried chicken on the side.

It's delish

Cincinnati-Chili_EXPS_TOHAM20_11740_E11_07_6b.jpg

Places in Tulsa sell that also -  You can go into a Coney Islander and get a hot dog wt chili or a Chili frito pie, or a "3 way" with spaghetti, beans and chili

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Places in Tulsa sell that also -  You can go into a Coney Islander and get a hot dog wt chili or a Chili frito pie, or a "3 way" with spaghetti, beans and chili

Are the beans a different flavor than the chili? Are there beans in the chili and then more on the side? Why distinguish between the beans and chili?

3 minutes ago, default_28 said:

Interesting, is it like chili flavored sloppy Joe consistency? Broader question, what makes a chili, a chili?

Somewhat like that, but a thinner consistency than a sloppy joe.  It's more of a sauce/topping rather than the base of a sandwich.

Chili gets it's name from the use of chili powder as the main seasoning to the dish.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, default_28 said:

Interesting, is it like chili flavored sloppy Joe consistency? Broader question, what makes a chili, a chili?

Lots of chili doesn't have beans, and you're right, it's kind of like sloppy Joe consistency. Beans are a regional style, and not part of "original" chili. 

Chili is basically any meat stew with a red sauce most prominently spiced with chili powder. With or without beans, or any other accoutrements, like crackers, cheese, onions, beans, etc. Tons of variations, too. 

One of my favorites is Texas Red Chili. I use this recipe from the Marlboro Chili Cookbook (yes, the cigarettes):

Texas Red

1/4 pound suet, finely chopped

6 pounds lean beef, coarsely cubed

1 cup chili powder (about 4 1/2 ounces)

2 tablespoons crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground oregano

2 tablespoons salt

1 to 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 quarts beef stock or canned beef broth

1/2 cup masa harina or cornmeal

1/2 cup cold water

Fry suet in Marlboro Chili Kettle until crisp. Then add beef, about 1 pound at a time, and brown, stirring as it cooks. Remove each pound after browning. When all meat is browned, return it to kettle and add seasonings and beef stock or broth. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Skim off fat. Combine masa harina or cornmeal with cold water and stir thoroughly into chili. Simmer 30 minutes. Makes about 3 3/4 quarts.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've always thought it was because of the chili powder as the major seasoning.  

However, then there is white chicken chili.  So..... :dunno

The white chicken chili I've had still uses chili powder as the major seasoning, but the chicken and white beans keep it white, rather than using a tomato based chili which helps with the reddish hue.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The white chicken chili I've had still uses chili powder as the major seasoning, but the chicken and white beans keep it white, rather than using a tomato based chili which helps with the reddish hue.

Interesting.  I don't think my recipe has chili powder.  But, haven't made it since last winter so could be wrong.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, default_28 said:

Are the beans a different flavor than the chili? Are there beans in the chili and then more on the side? Why distinguish between the beans and chili?

You can get chili with beans or chili without beans- thus a 2 way - basically a chili meat sauce

• Plus1 1