Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I had never seriously entertained the thought that there could be people who had not had chili and cinnamon rolls together. Even less likely is that somebody would not like it.

I grew up in Omaha as did my parents.  I never even heard of cinnamon rolls with Chili until I got married.  It’s been 20 years and I still don’t get it.

House divided.  I have to make cinnamon rolls for the wife and cornbread for me.

• Plus1 1

I grew up in Omaha, and we never had Chili and Cinnamon rolls.  My wife is from Hastings, and she said it was something they always had for school lunches.  So, when she makes chili, we have cinnamon rolls.  It's usually something from out of a can, but every now and then she will make homemade cinnamon rolls, which are amazing.  It's a unique combo, but I've grown to like it.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I grew up in Omaha, and we never had Chili and Cinnamon rolls.  My wife is from Hastings, and she said it was something they always had for school lunches.  So, when she makes chili, we have cinnamon rolls.  It's usually something from out of a can, but every now and then she will make homemade cinnamon rolls, which are amazing.  It's a unique combo, but I've grown to like it.

I guess it is kind of like Chicken and Waffles - is that a southern thing or do you see it much in the upper midwest? 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think OPS had gotten on board that particular lunch combo like the rest of the state. Maybe they still don't? Any kids at an OPS school want to chime in? Any parents with kids at OPS?

Chili and Cinnamon Rolls is not “a” lunch combo, it is THE lunch combo. What are those poor deprived Omaha kids eating? :ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Let's talk technique: do you guys dip the cinnamon roll? Get a spoonful of Chili and put it on top? 

I like to eat a spoonful of chili and while the taste is still there, get a bite of roll and let the tastes co-mingle in my mouth. 

The latter. I don't know of anyone who dunks their cinnamon roll in their chili.

If you're doing that, it means your chili isn't thick enough. It should be inconvenient to dunk. Chili should not be runny.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Man you guys are making me hungry   - I'll need to go to my local Coney Island place - the the Chili Frito Pie and get a Cinnamon roll from Merritt's Bakery - all within a few short miles of my work. 

By the way - does the fritos and cheese take away from the pure chili/cinnamon roll combination or enhances it?

Would still like to know if you all have the chicken and waffle combination up north.  Same concept - fried chicken wt the syrup on the waffle but perhaps not as tangy - unless you get the Nashville style.  

1 hour ago, Apathy said:

Chili loaded with a lot of chili cheese flavored Fritos chips and shredded cheese. 

Hy-Vee cinnamon rolls FTW