Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Would still like to know if you all have the chicken and waffle combination up north.  Same concept - fried chicken wt the syrup on the waffle but perhaps not as tangy - unless you get the Nashville style.  

I’ve seen it a few places but it’s not near as common as it is down south. Had it once, it was okay but I’m not a fan of chicken for breakfast or waffles not for breakfast so I wouldn’t say it’s a great combo for me. I did sort of like the syrup on the fried chicken though….

Ok, today for lunch I tried the Chli and Cinnamon roll combo.  I went to a Braum's ice cream/burger store in Tulsa and got the chili and then went to Panera and purchase the cinnamon roll. Braum's is a regional store - they have stores within 250 miles of their 10,000 cattle - milk production facility outside of OKC. (Great place if you see one if you are in the area) 

I tried it several ways.  (1) dunk the roll into the chili - draw back is the chili covers up the roll too much.  (2) eat the chili and then eat the c roll.  I'm a salty tooth person so I immediately had to have more chili to cover up the sweet tooth. (3) Eat the cinnamon roll first than chase it down wt chili - match made in heaven.  If I eat ice cream I always have to have something salty afterwards.  So # 3 was perfect for me.  I liked the combination.  A great 'meal' for a cold Nov day.  

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, today for lunch I tried the Chli and Cinnamon roll combo.  I went to a Braum's ice cream/burger store in Tulsa and got the chili and then went to Panera and purchase the cinnamon roll. Braum's is a regional store - they have stores within 250 miles of their 10,000 cattle - milk production facility outside of OKC. (Great place if you see one if you are in the area) 

I tried it several ways.  (1) dunk the roll into the chili - draw back is the chili covers up the roll too much.  (2) eat the chili and then eat the c roll.  I'm a salty tooth person so I immediately had to have more chili to cover up the sweet tooth. (3) Eat the cinnamon roll first than chase it down wt chili - match made in heaven.  If I eat ice cream I always have to have something salty afterwards.  So # 3 was perfect for me.  I liked the combination.  A great 'meal' for a cold Nov day.  

We have this for dinner probably twice every Fall/Winter season. It's a big hit.

Make sure you get cream cheese frosted cinnamon rolls (or make them). 

8 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

I live in Minnesota so my wife cringed when I walked in with cinnamon rolls to eat with chili last night. She wouldn’t try it but my three boys did. All loved it. Tried different methods and ended up going back and forth between the two. Had leftovers for lunch today :-)

Left overs.  Must have purchased a big batch of each.   

So do your prefer the chili with or without beans?    My take, got to have the beans if eating it straight and without beans if making a coney islander.  

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I just don't understand ruining good chili with a cinnamon roll. Is it a way to make mediocre to bad chili more palatable?

It is kind of like Kettle Chips - a mix of the salty wt the sweet.  Or chicken and waffles. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I just don't understand ruining good chili with a cinnamon roll. Is it a way to make mediocre to bad chili more palatable?

How is the cinnamon roll ruining the chili? You don't have to dunk. Bread+soup is a pretty classic combo. This is just a variation. Never understood why the combo causes so much uproar with those who haven't given it ago. Is it really the most absurd thing?

• Plus1 1

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

How is the cinnamon roll ruining the chili? You don't have to dunk. Bread+soup is a pretty classic combo. This is just a variation. Never understood why the combo causes so much uproar with those who haven't given it ago. Is it really the most absurd thing?

Some of us have never considered or been presented that pairing before.  After my lunch today, count me all in.  

Just now, TGHusker said:

Some of us have never considered or been presented that pairing before.  After my lunch today, count me all in.  

And I can understand that but if you think about it in simplistic terms its bread and soup which is a pairing everyone in the world is familiar with I'm pretty sure. Not saying its not a bit unusual but some people treat it like pure lunacy haha. Glad you're converted

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And I can understand that but if you think about it in simplistic terms its bread and soup which is a pairing everyone in the world is familiar with I'm pretty sure. Not saying its not a bit unusual but some people treat it like pure lunacy haha. Glad you're converted

Hey, I like bread wt peanut butter  & chili or bread and cheese wt chili.   So it isn't strange to me.  

• Plus1 1