Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Chili powder & cinnamon pair well together. Sweet & spicy pair well. It isn't any more complicated than that.

I get the appeal of that spice combo but not the roll and/or the frosting. Just add cinnamon to the chili. But I think good chili isn't improved by cinnamon and instead detracts from it. If we're talking a can of Hormel chili, then I agree adding almost anything will improve it.

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How is the cinnamon roll ruining the chili? You don't have to dunk. Bread+soup is a pretty classic combo. This is just a variation. Never understood why the combo causes so much uproar with those who haven't given it ago. Is it really the most absurd thing?

I'm not uproaring or calling it the most absurd thing. I simply don't agree as I tend to eat chili I enjoy and adding soggy bread and/or sweet frosting to it is definitely a big down grade IMO. Maybe I haven't tried it in a way that makes it better. Do people dip the roll? (I've only had it with the roll smothered by chili, which is just plain not good IMO.)

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I get the appeal of that spice combo but not the roll and/or the frosting. Just add cinnamon to the chili. But I think good chili isn't improved by cinnamon and instead detracts from it. If we're talking a can of Hormel chili, then I agree adding almost anything will improve it.

I'm not uproaring or calling it the most absurd thing. I simply don't agree as I tend to eat chili I enjoy and adding soggy bread and/or sweet frosting to it is definitely a big down grade IMO. Maybe I haven't tried it in a way that makes it better. Do people dip the roll? (I've only had it with the roll smothered by chili, which is just plain not good IMO.)

In my post above I noted I tried it several ways.  To me, smothering it in chili didn't work.  Got to eat one at a time to get the sweet/spicy(salty) taste thing going. Smothering the roll wt chili over powered the roll IMO.  

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

In my post above I noted I tried it several ways.  To me, smothering it in chili didn't work.  Got to eat one at a time to get the sweet/spicy(salty) taste thing going. Smothering the roll wt chili over powered the roll IMO.  

Thanks. I'll try dipping the cinnamon roll next time, although it means making both chili and cinnamon rolls, so not sure when I'll get around to it. But I do love chili in the winter, and it snowed for the first time today.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

See method is your problem imo. Enjoy seperately for the best experience. Eat the cinnamon roll on the side as a compliment to your delicious chili.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

No no. Maybe some people do those things but it is just a good meal combo to eat together. You don’t put chili on the cinnamon roll or dunk the roll in the chili. You eat some chili then you eat a little cinnamon roll. We’re not barbarians here.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, today for lunch I tried the Chli and Cinnamon roll combo.  I went to a Braum's ice cream/burger store in Tulsa and got the chili and then went to Panera and purchase the cinnamon roll.

Was Braum's out of cinnamon rolls? Because they definitely have them. (Edit: might be breakfast only? Been a long time since I had them.)

And yes, just eat the cinnamon roll as a side, not mixed. A few bites of chili, then a few bites of the cinnamon roll.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Do you dunk your steak in your wine/beer?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, today for lunch I tried the Chli and Cinnamon roll combo.  I went to a Braum's ice cream/burger store in Tulsa and got the chili and then went to Panera and purchase the cinnamon roll. Braum's is a regional store - they have stores within 250 miles of their 10,000 cattle - milk production facility outside of OKC. (Great place if you see one if you are in the area) 

I tried it several ways.  (1) dunk the roll into the chili - draw back is the chili covers up the roll too much.  (2) eat the chili and then eat the c roll.  I'm a salty tooth person so I immediately had to have more chili to cover up the sweet tooth. (3) Eat the cinnamon roll first than chase it down wt chili - match made in heaven.  If I eat ice cream I always have to have something salty afterwards.  So # 3 was perfect for me.  I liked the combination.  A great 'meal' for a cold Nov day.  

A little bit of chili….the a bite of cinnamon roll….then repeat. 

end on what ever bite you want. 

The contrast is what makes it great. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

At thanksgiving, do you mix your turkey, stuffing, gravy, jello, cranberries, pie all into one mess on your plate for one combined bite?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Was Braum's out of cinnamon rolls? Because they definitely have them. (Edit: might be breakfast only? Been a long time since I had them.)

And yes, just eat the cinnamon roll as a side, not mixed. A few bites of chili, then a few bites of the cinnamon roll.

I forgot about the Braum’s c roll.  Nuts. Would have been cheaper and probably as good

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

At thanksgiving, do you mix your turkey, stuffing, gravy, jello, cranberries, pie all into one mess on your plate for one combined bite?

How about putting corn smack dab in the middle of mashed potatoes and the stuffing right next to it. Then slather it all with some really good thick brown gravy. Yum!