The Hypocrisy Of Firing Bo AND Keeping Frost

IUHusker

9 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, Bo didn't read a Jon Gordon book about a bus.  It was all over then with Silent E.

I thought it was because he would go all Saban and Dabo Sweeney on the sidelines over bad calls.. Just with out the Ships.  Could you imagine what Saban would say about 80% of the Husker fan base was he was coaching here and went off on the sideline and the Husker fans didnt like it. LMAO

7 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

I thought it was because he would go all Saban and Dabo Sweeney on the sidelines over bad calls.. Just with out the Ships.  Could you imagine what Saban would say about 80% of the Husker fan base was he was coaching here and went off on the sideline and the Husker fans didnt like it. LMAO

fans dont care if you win games. The real reason people didnt like Bo was because of the blowout losses. Looking back I believe if he were our coach and Trev the AD it would have been easy to support him and help give him the tools to close that gap. Unfortunately we had someone above the AD who was more concerned with sideline antics than anything else. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

fans dont care if you win games. The real reason people didnt like Bo was because of the blowout losses. Looking back I believe if he were our coach and Trev the AD it would have been easy to support him and help give him the tools to close that gap. Unfortunately we had someone above the AD who was more concerned with sideline antics than anything else. 

I mean there was sideline antics, there was hotel basement antics, there were booster daughter antics, there were assaulting a cameraman antics, there was the leaked audio antics... But 9 wins and good grades antics too.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I’m not sure anything would've helped convince Bo that he needed to get over the hump with some games that mattered. He seemed pretty proud and content with his 9 wins and getting blown out in the others. In fact he got downright defensive and belligerent about the fanbase thinking it wasn’t enough.

But you’re right, it was never going to work with him and Eichorst.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I mean there was sideline antics, there was hotel basement antics, there were booster daughter antics, there were assaulting a cameraman antics, there was the leaked audio antics... But 9 wins and good grades antics too.

No s#!t. Bo was a prick, and the tapes of him going off aren't cowardly leaks by disgruntled enemies, they're an insight into what working with him was like every other day of the week. There's no corporation that lets the public face of the company put together this combination of on the field and off the field performance, and the two colleges that took him in after Nebraska showed even less patience with Bo Pelini. Even then, Bo could have  b!^@h slapped Shawn Eichorst and Harvey Perleman by not collapsing in big games -- or just beating Minnesota at home -- but he didn't and he acted incredibly childish and now he's gone and no one is hiring the guy we shouldn't have fired. 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No s#!t. Bo was a prick, and the tapes of him going off aren't cowardly leaks by disgruntled enemies, they're an insight into what working with him was like every other day of the week. There's no corporation that lets the public face of the company put together this combination of on the field and off the field performance, and the two colleges that took him in after Nebraska showed even less patience with Bo Pelini. Even then, Bo could have  b!^@h slapped Shawn Eichorst and Harvey Perleman by not collapsing in big games -- or just beating Minnesota at home -- but he didn't and he acted incredibly childish and now he's gone and no one is hiring the guy we shouldn't have fired. 

Very good take.  Encompasses my thoughts about Bo too

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bo had the misfortune of bringing Nebraska out of the depths, but he was able to with strong talent already on the roster.  Then the program moved conferences and it really threw a wrench in the gears.  But during that Bo refused to adapt what didn't work and wouldn't adjust his staff to get over humps.  Had :01 never happens, maybe Bo and Nebraska are both still in the Big 12.  But Einhorst was an awful AD and Harvey....was Harvey.

But it's not hypocrisy.  Bo got 7 years and he did enough yo keep us in the top 25 or in the conversation.  But we weren't scaring anyone, we weren't upsetting any amazing teams really.  We beat the crap out of the bad teams, beat the average teams, and narrowly lost or got blown out by the teams that we should've been competitive with after 7yrs.  That hasn't changed.  Bo had a bad attitude and wouldn't accept that he was doing anything wrong.  Just look at his YSU tenure, look at his LSU return season.  When he's bad, he's really REALLY bad.

You wanna make comparisons between Frost and Pelini, watch a game from this season VS the stacked deck of ranked teams and see how we fared against the way Bo would get us absolutely shellacked against anyone with media attention.  The blowouts got to be too much and it eventually caught up to Bo.  Frost, the losses are catching up to him.  If he doesn't buck that trend he'll suffer the same fate.  But he's getting a 5th year, almost regardless how this season finishes.

• Plus1 1

The 2010 Big 12 title game was worse than 2009 IMO.  21-3 lead against OU at halftime?  That huge opening TD run by Helu, awesome corners in Dennard & Amukamara. Imagine if Martinez didn’t hurt his ankle and the refs in college station don’t completely screw us (roughing the passer at the end of the game, the personal foul on Cotton for kicking while he was being grabbed in the pile that the refs didn’t see)? That was the best Nebraska team since the 2001 team.  Bo was one conference title win from being Dabo at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3

I never wanted Bo fired.  Yes some of his attitude wore tiresome on most, not me though, I want a coach that's going to fight for us and our players.  The players responded to that as well mostly however once Bo truly lost his cool the team seemed to take a nose dive as well.  That can't happen either obviously.  There had to be a fine line of being passionate yet keeping things under control.  I do think he was trying to reign it in a bit, but I never wanted him gone.  As others mentioned, he found some dudes, he developed a lot of guys and found a lot of gems.  It's just a shame we couldn't have one at least one of the three Conference Championship games we played in.  Definitely should've won the 2009 and 2010 Conference Championship Games for sure.

We had an arrogant Administration that forced Osborne out, got an Athletic Director that was not good for us in Eichorst, & the Administration figured we could easily win 9 games without even trying.  They wanted better PR so they hired the nicest guy possible.  It's the only explanation why Mike Riley was hired in the first place.  Nice and win 9 games on a yearly basis they thought.  Nope!  That was such a bad move.  Administration didn't have anyone planned to replace Bo just like Pederson didn't after Solich.  I do think Bo burned some things on his way out didn't help Riley out at all once he took over so that didn't help, but he should never have been fired after 2014.  Just like Solich should have never been fired after 2003.

Now I also believe that 2013 could've been better had Taylor Martinez not gotten injured, and we had still had a lot of good pieces in 2014 after he Graduated but what really baffles me is that Bo seemed to refused to adapt his Defensive scheme to the Big Ten.  Maybe he changed a few things but it's hard to tell without breaking it all down.  He's not without fault but that's the one that really gets me.  He saw we got ran all over at times, he played in the Big Ten, he grew up in Ohio.  What gives?!  He beat Iowa but couldn't stop Wisconsin.  Or we'd have a great game and then lose next week unexpectedly.  Baffling!!  The blowouts on the big stage were hard to swallow too.  At least we don't have that problem anymore.  Bo's teams were just very up and down when we got to the Big Ten.  The Big Ten has gotten immensely better with coaching talent since we joined and top to bottom is just extremely tough week in and week out.  I do think once Bo was let go and the way he went out set Riley up for a tough road ahead.  I don't know if the players really bought into Riley when he arrived, especially the upper-classmen, and that may have hindered Riley a bit from the start.  Just like how bad Riley was at developing, some iffy recruiting and his culture set Frost up for a tough start too.  Frost was not without his faults when he made some bad decisions when arrived though too.

I don't want Frost gone. I want to see him with another year.  I'd like to see what he can do with another Quarterback, & that's not a insult on Adrian, he has kept us in games and put us in positions to win & has been our best Offensive Player since he's been here, but ultimately, we just aren't winning games.  Great stats and where he's at on the All-Time Nebraska charts, but that doesn't always tell the whole story.  Sometimes it's the Defense's fault, sometimes it's no supporting cast and most of the time is timely mistakes, mental errors or special teams that have cost us.  Seems like mostly we just beat ourselves.  I can accept a loss but I hate watching us beat ourselves.

If Frost gets another year, and Martinez comes back, and it's the same old, then he may not get a Sixth year with a different Quarterback.  I do think we are improving, frustratingly slowly though.  My worry is the Defense loses a lot for next year and if we don't fill those gaps in, how bad could things look if we aren't scoring 40 points a game???  Frost is also a bit softer than I was expecting.  I just can't believe our Offensive Line doesn't look any better in Year 4 with his recruits.  The Defense brings the energy & passion but the Offense doesn't seem to bring the pain on their side of the ball, especially up front.  I don't see as much passion out of Frost as I thought we would.  He needs to get a little more excited on the sidelines.  I think players feed off of that, and while that can be good or bad as well [see: Pelini], I figured he would be a bit more emotional.  He seems to just be a bit nonchalant like Riley.  Don't see too many coaching moments.  Maybe that's off camera, maybe he's trying to be more of a CEO, but I figured we wouldn't be a soft team and would always be the most physical team on the field regardless if we won or lost.  Sometimes it's true and other times it's not.

I'd rather watch a Bo Pelini & Scott Frost Nebraska Team play any day over a Mike Riley Nebraska Team though.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, IUHusker said:

https://dennispcrawford.medium.com/this-is-a-piece-i-wrote-after-last-years-purdue-debacle-11cec1d47c2a

It’s been a painful run since Solich was let go.  It’s going to be interesting to see what Trev does.  

Great read thanks for sharing!  I'll take most of that with a grain of salt but some of that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I find it interesting that the article flat out states that Pederson & Eichorst were brought in to fire the current coaches.  Don't know if that was every truly officially confirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.  But you would think if that's the plan they'd have someone lined up right?

....right?  

RIGHT?!?!

What an absolute debacle.   Both times.  We made that mistake once, but to do it again?!  There are no words for doing it twice like we have.  It just makes me more fired up after reading and re-living that again.

I never believed in Mike Riley.  Ever.  I knew it was doomed from the start.  Nice guy, bad fit.

I was not truly a Callahan fan, but wished him well & gave him a chance, but saw the writing on the wall in 2007 like everyone else.  Maybe he should have got a few more years but the Defense was so bad, Bo just won a National Title as a Defensive Coordinator, I think you still had to make that move though to go with Bo especially since we all wanted him just a few years before.  I think Callahan could have got a few more years if he replaced Cosgrove but he didn't so that's where we are.  Plus Nebraska was closer to Nebraska back then than we are now.  I think Bill is a good Offensive mind but maybe not a good Head Coach.  He's done pretty well with an Assistant Coach career in the NFL, maybe that's where he should have stayed.  That part about him being cool and aloof after players signed is upsetting to hear.  You can't be a Coach at a place like Nebraska and have that kind of attitude.  And then he was begged to take the job?!  If true, wow.  Just....wow.  I can't believe it was that bad.  We definitely settled in 03 and 2015.

But yes, the common denominator: Perlman.  I think there's a lot of ego there too with him and it shows if all of that is true.

I still remember when he came out and berated Bo after the A&M game.  That's when I knew things were not well with them behind closed doors.  I think a lot of us were just as angry as Bo was that night.  We were trying to win a Conference Championship, erase the bad taste of the Conference Title Game the year before, give the Big XII the wave goodbye out the door with their Football Title and go to a BCS Bowl and he comes out and does that to Bo.  That's not his role.  If anything the Athletic Director [Coach Osborne] and Bo should speak about behind closed doors [I assume they probably did] and not to have the Chancellor of the University make a statement to the media.  What an egomaniac.

That was the end of Bo's attitude though.  Sure he still got passionate and fiery but he was never the same after that public shaming & neither was the team.  Lost the Big XII Title game after being up 17-00 and then being up 20-17 at Halftime against Oklahoma, got put in a terrible re-match vs. Washington that no one wanted to play as we beat the tar out of them earlier that year.  Washington wanted us though, they got their revenge but we didn't want to be there.  We should've been in a much better Bowl Game.

So yes, a lot of that adds up after a while, bad decision after bad decision after bad decision after bad decision and you end up where we are. 

We've had a lot of great players, a lot of great guys off the field who have represented Nebraska well, but the Administration has been an issue for a long, long, long time.  Osborne seemed to calm the waters a bit, but he can't be there forever nor should he be.  Nebraska needs to be able to win without Coach Osborne all over the program, as much as we all love Coach.  And I have to clarify an earlier post, maybe Osborne was not forced out, maybe that was his intent to retire all long then.  However, I remember that he did not have a say in his replacement and neither did Bo.  Perlman acted all alone and we end up with a loser like Eichorst.  I know Alvarez is one of us, but part of me still wonders if that was not a plant job by the Badgers in some way shape or form.  I'd hope Barry wouldn't do that to his Alma Mater, and that is conspiracy thinking, but I always wondered.

We need to make sure we are all on the same page and going in the same direction from the top of the University down to the fans.  From the outside, it looks like that's the way now, I hope it is, but we need to start winning & winning soon. 

It will be interesting to see how Trev reacts.  I think we are in good hands with him though.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Redux said:

Bo had the misfortune of bringing Nebraska out of the depths, but he was able to with strong talent already on the roster.  Then the program moved conferences and it really threw a wrench in the gears.  But during that Bo refused to adapt what didn't work and wouldn't adjust his staff to get over humps.  Had :01 never happens, maybe Bo and Nebraska are both still in the Big 12.  But Einhorst was an awful AD and Harvey....was Harvey.

But it's not hypocrisy.  Bo got 7 years and he did enough yo keep us in the top 25 or in the conversation.  But we weren't scaring anyone, we weren't upsetting any amazing teams really.  We beat the crap out of the bad teams, beat the average teams, and narrowly lost or got blown out by the teams that we should've been competitive with after 7yrs.  That hasn't changed.  Bo had a bad attitude and wouldn't accept that he was doing anything wrong.  Just look at his YSU tenure, look at his LSU return season.  When he's bad, he's really REALLY bad.

You wanna make comparisons between Frost and Pelini, watch a game from this season VS the stacked deck of ranked teams and see how we fared against the way Bo would get us absolutely shellacked against anyone with media attention.  The blowouts got to be too much and it eventually caught up to Bo.  Frost, the losses are catching up to him.  If he doesn't buck that trend he'll suffer the same fate.  But he's getting a 5th year, almost regardless how this season finishes.

in 2011, Pelini beat 2 top 15 B1G teams, 2012 he beat #20 Michigan, beat #23 Georgia in bowl game in 2013, 2014 he didnt beat any ranked teams. I mean yeah we had some historic a$$ kickings but Bo did actually beat teams with a pulse including several teams that Frost can't beat in the B1G West to save his life. 

• Plus1 3