How do Frost supporters defend the fact that our recruiting class is currently ranked 83 out of 130?

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Doesn't help when all the ones down the street don't want to come either 

Omaha recruits have always been a crap shoot- no matter the coach or how we have performed lately.  There is always an % of recruits that can't wait to get out of Nebraska. 

Recruiting is the least of our worries right now - not sure why people are focused on that?

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Omaha recruits have always been a crap shoot- no matter the coach or how we have performed lately.  There is always an % of recruits that can't wait to get out of Nebraska. 

Recruiting is the least of our worries right now - not sure why people are focused on that?

Because we need more talent and being one of only 2 schools in the conference without a 4 star isnt a good thing. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because we need more talent and being one of only 2 schools in the conference without a 4 star isnt a good thing. 

We signed 25 last year.  We have plenty of young talent.  This year we have a handful of young recruits committed but have left a lot of open room to sign transfers and JUCO kids to fill in gaps.  If we finish the season strong, we will sign a few high profile recruits.  If we don't, it may not matter.  

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We signed 25 last year.  We have plenty of young talent.  This year we have a handful of young recruits committed but have left a lot of open room to sign transfers and JUCO kids to fill in gaps.  If we finish the season strong, we will sign a few high profile recruits.  If we don't, it may not matter.  

I understand all of that. It still doesnt discount that our highest rated recruit would have been our 8th best in last years class. 

46 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Recruiting is the foundation of our program - it is fundamental to our success.  Ever try to build a building without a foundation?  Building on sand vs building on rock and yes that is a Biblical reference that is true in all aspects of life and in this case the development of this program.  

One of a coach's top responsibilities is to evaluate talent - does the talent match up with our style of play. Also the coach must evaluate if the style of play will be successful within the conference. 

Years 1 and 2 it seems Frost failed in those 2 important evaluations:  1. He didn't understand the physicality and size needed in the Big 10 and 2. He recruited players that would be successful at UCF but not in the Big 10. 

Frost has lost the 'good will/good name"' of his UCF days.  He only has his Nebraska record to stand on now. None of the current recruits know or care about his UCF days and his one year miracle.  When the program fades into a losing tradition, its destroys its foundation of recruiting and it is hard to get the mojo back.  Thus, now is the time to bring in a highly respected coach who can bring back credibility, respectability and energy to the program.  

Thus we are behind in the next responsibility of the coach - player development.  We don't need all 4 and 5 stars players to be successful, but we do need development.  It is unfathomable that in year 4 we had to rely on an injured AM at QB and not our 2nd string QB.  Nebraska has been beaten by several 2nd and 3rd string QBs during the Frost era.  We stick to AM when he is injured and when he is having an off game.  Why do we have a revolving door at RB and WR in year 4?

The next responsibility is game planning and in game adjustments & motivation of players.  But that is off topic to this discussion. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Recruiting is the foundation of our program - it is fundamental to our success.  Ever try to build a building without a foundation?  Building on sand vs building on rock and yes that is a Biblical reference that is true in all aspects of life and in this case the development of this program.  

One of a coach's top responsibilities is to evaluate talent - does the talent match up with our style of play. Also the coach must evaluate if the style of play will be successful within the conference. 

Years 1 and 2 it seems Frost failed in those 2 important evaluations:  1. He didn't understand the physicality and size needed in the Big 10 and 2. He recruited players that would be successful at UCF but not in the Big 10. 

Frost has lost the 'good will/good name"' of his UCF days.  He only has his Nebraska record to stand on now. None of the current recruits know or care about his UCF days and his one year miracle.  When the program fades into a losing tradition, its destroys its foundation of recruiting and it is hard to get the mojo back.  Thus, now is the time to bring in a highly respected coach who can bring back credibility, respectability and energy to the program.  

Thus we are behind in the next responsibility of the coach - player development.  We don't need all 4 and 5 stars players to be successful, but we do need development.  It is unfathomable that in year 4 we had to rely on an injured AM at QB and not our 2nd string QB.  Nebraska has been beaten by several 2nd and 3rd string QBs during the Frost era.  We stick to AM when he is injured and when he is having an off game.  Why do we have a revolving door at RB and WR in year 4?

The next responsibility is game planning and in game adjustments & motivation of players.  But that is off topic to this discussion. 

Thanks captain obvious.  99% of us understand the impacts of recruiting.  However...

How will recruiting win 3 of the next 4 to save this staffs jobs?

Recruiting should not be a priority on our staffs to do list this week.  Beating Purdue should be.

The ONLY people who give a rat about our 2022 class right now are those looking for ways to cast Frost in a bad light.  You guys want a change.  Don't blame you but the reality is you don't need any more ammo.  The on field results are what they are.  Even if we sign three 4 stars today, it doesn't change that they need to win some games to save their job.  

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Thanks captain obvious.  99% of us understand the impacts of recruiting.  However...

How will recruiting win 3 of the next 4 to save this staffs jobs?

Recruiting should not be a priority on our staffs to do list this week.  Beating Purdue should be.

The ONLY people who give a rat about our 2022 class right now are those looking for ways to cast Frost in a bad light.  You guys want a change.  Don't blame you but the reality is you don't need any more ammo.  The on field results are what they are.  Even if we sign three 4 stars today, it doesn't change that they need to win some games to save their job.  

Ok I now understand you were talking about the  immediate and not recruiting in general.  I didn't mean to be 

i'm out well done GIF by Captain Obvious

I'm in agreement your thoughts about the Purdue game.  The 2022 recruits won't affect the Purdue game.  This past week the coaches did do recruiting since it was a bye week.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

No school has signed a single recruit yet.

Really???? Oh goodness thank you for pointing this out I had no idea. lol It still doesnt change the fact that currently Nebraska and Illinois are the only 2 schools without a 4 star commit in their class. I would also add if you look at who we have left on the board that you will not see many with Nebraska high on their list in this class. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I agree completely. Outside of Indiana perhaps which is recruited by 3 major universities, Nebraska has the lowest population density of any state represented by the Big Ten. We are reaping what a years worth of Covid restrictions have given us. We are severely limited unless we can get far away recruits to Lincoln to see for themselves what there is to offer.

Tony, what's your view on COVID affecting folks within our radius like Helms, Riley, Jackson, Woods?  For me, I think we wouldn't be having this kind of conversation if we were securing this talent.

27 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I understand all of that. It still doesnt discount that our highest rated recruit would have been our 8th best in last years class. 

While I am not one to place high emphasis on recruiting rankings, I do think it is supporting evidence that this staff's most impactful days are in the past.  The ability of this staff to sell a recruit on the Central Florida paradigm has long since expired.  The reality of 4 losing seasons has now completely eroded that narrative in the minds of potential recruits.

Simply marketing a season or two as "rebuilding" or an "aberration" for a potential recruit has come to an end.  The results are clear; the program is without clear direction and struggling to find an identity.  Top recruits want playing time, but more importantly, they want to associate themselves with success (earned or unearned).  The latter will prevent us from making any consistent inroads with top talent going forward.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

While I am not one to place high emphasis on recruiting rankings, I do think it is supporting evidence that this staff's most impactful days are in the past.  The ability of this staff to sell a recruit on the Central Florida paradigm has long since expired.  The reality of 4 losing seasons has now completely eroded that narrative in the minds of potential recruits.

Simply marketing a season or two as "rebuilding" or an "aberration" for a potential recruit has come to an end.  The results are clear; the program is without clear direction and struggling to find an identity.  Top recruits want playing time, but more importantly, they want to associate themselves with success (earned or unearned).  The latter will prevent us from making any consistent inroads with top talent going forward.

And do we believe that a drop in star power is going to result in more W's for Frost? Do we think he can outcoach with similar level talent to the opposition? NU has had a distinct advantage against the rest of the B1G West. This year that seems to have changed. 

13 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Really???? Oh goodness thank you for pointing this out I had no idea. lol It still doesnt change the fact that currently Nebraska and Illinois are the only 2 schools without a 4 star commit in their class. I would also add if you look at who we have left on the board that you will not see many with Nebraska high on their list in this class. 

You are always welcome Hedley.

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

And do we believe that a drop in star power is going to result in more W's for Frost? Do we think he can outcoach with similar level talent to the opposition? NU has had a distinct advantage against the rest of the B1G West. This year that seems to have changed. 

Since we are already grossly underachieving, I am not certain you will see much difference in terms of tangible results.  The better question would be, do we believe that a reduction in talent will jeopardize potential future wins over the Fordhams and Buffalos of the world?  Unlikely.