How do Frost supporters defend the fact that our recruiting class is currently ranked 83 out of 130?

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so is it poor development? We have appeared to develop depth etc. on the opposite side of the ball. So if recruiting isnt an issue as you are suggesting does it come down to coaching? 

In reference to the past 2 cycles, I think those players on the line simply need time at the college level to produce.  Linemen historically take the longest to develop- even you referenced that in another thread a while back.  Does Teddy get hurt with another year of strength and conditioning?  I think it is a legitimate question and it was obvious the coaches preferred to wait to use him.  

I'll be the first to say I think our O-Line coaching has been suspect- simply from a discipline standpoint it was obvious they needed help.  I put that 100% on coaching.  Overall I have felt like the D Line has played pretty well and showed good development.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I wasn't talking to you.  Tony is a real nice guy and I've had some great conversations with him as a fellow Husker fan.  Thus, I wanted his thoughts as we tend to see the status of Husker football in the same light.

Maybe a DM to Tony?

Just spitballin'.....

3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I wasn't talking to you.  Tony is a real nice guy and I've had some great conversations with him as a fellow Husker fan.  Thus, I wanted his thoughts as we tend to see the status of Husker football in the same light.

my bad. forgot this was a private conversation on a public board. i'll let you be and hope you get justification of your feelings since you didnt like the actual answer.

• Oh Yeah! 2
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

In reference to the past 2 cycles, I think those players on the line simply need time at the college level to produce.  Linemen historically take the longest to develop- even you referenced that in another thread a while back.  Does Teddy get hurt with another year of strength and conditioning?  I think it is a legitimate question and it was obvious the coaches preferred to wait to use him.  

I'll be the first to say I think our O-Line coaching has been suspect- simply from a discipline standpoint it was obvious they needed help.  I put that 100% on coaching.  Overall I have felt like the D Line has played pretty well and showed good development.  

Oh I agree with what you are saying. I am simply saying that is poor roster management on the OL piece. Those 14 probably should have included an infusion of transfers and Juco players to help even it out. Guys with a few more years of experience and physical development. Seems like a very poor idea to just recruit a bunch of high schoolers and expect them to be ready to go in 1 to 2 years right? 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Maybe a DM to Tony?

Just spitballin'.....

1 minute ago, desertshox said:

my bad. forgot this was a private conversation on a public board. i'll let you be and hope you get justification of your feelings since you didnt like the actual answer.

I get where you guys are coming from but I do agree, Tony typically has some pretty good takes so I do like to see the back and forth public.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Oh I agree with what you are saying. I am simply saying that is poor roster management on the OL piece. Those 14 probably should have included an infusion of transfers and Juco players to help even it out. Guys with a few more years of experience and physical development. Seems like a very poor idea to just recruit a bunch of high schoolers and expect them to be ready to go in 1 to 2 years right? 

But we have?  Here are the two O Linemen we picked up.

Nouredin Nouili was a 2020 transfer (3 star from CSU that I believe was underrated and a great find)

Ezra Miller was a 2020 transfer (4 star from Iowa)

We also picked up Darrion Daniels - not a bad grab

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

But we have?  Here are the two O Linemen we picked up.

Nouredin Nouili was a 2020 transfer (3 star from CSU that I believe was underrated and a great find)

Ezra Miller was a 2020 transfer (4 star from Iowa)

We also picked up Darrion Daniels - not a bad grab

They came as Freshmen....that isnt the same as getting a guy with multiple years in college S&C etc. I am not saying anything about DL. They have leveraged JUCO, Grad Transfers etc on the DL. The OL has been a long list of recruiting misses the first few years and then a large influx over the last 2 years as you mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

They came as Freshmen....that isnt the same as getting a guy with multiple years in college S&C etc. I am not saying anything about DL. They have leveraged JUCO, Grad Transfers etc on the DL. The OL has been a long list of recruiting misses the first few years and then a large influx over the last 2 years as you mentioned. 

I follow you and don't disagree completely but neither was a green freshman.  

Ezra enrolled in January of 19 so he had 1.5 years of S&C.

Nouili also enrolled in January of 2019 and played 8 games with CSU.  

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I follow you and don't disagree completely but neither was a green freshman.  

Ezra enrolled in January of 19 so he had 1.5 years of S&C.

Nouili also enrolled in January of 2019 and played 8 games with CSU.  

They arent any older than what we have though. What we have done to beef up OL is so subpar compared to what we did on the DL. It obviously shows on the field as well. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

They arent any older than what we have though. What we have done to beef up OL is so subpar compared to what we did on the DL. It obviously shows on the field as well. 

True... damn looking at 2019, 2020, and 2021 we will have a huge number of sophomore and younger offensive linemen.  Point taken... but the future looks pretty bright at that spot.  

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

True... damn looking at 2019, 2020, and 2021 we will have a huge number of sophomore and younger offensive linemen.  Point taken... but the future looks pretty bright at that spot.  

The question is which ones stay, which ones leave? Which ones are fulltime bench warmers. At times I wish we would process more guys. Not because they arent good teammates etc but simply because they arent going to see the field. Chris Walker, who appears to be a workout warrior in the weight room doesnt even provide depth does he? 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, desertshox said:

Are you butt hurt about something?

I didn't say you couldn't respond, nor did I say or imply that it was a private conversation.  

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Tony, what's your view on COVID affecting folks within our radius like Helms, Riley, Jackson, Woods?  For me, I think we wouldn't be having this kind of conversation if we were securing this talent.

Attracting the interest of Omaha kids has been hit or miss since Callahan. Bo tried to patch up the divide a little while Riley let it slip back. Even Osborne lost good players from Omaha who wanted out of the state.  I'm not sure these kids would have had any more interest in Nebraska if they were allowed an official visit. All four had probably unofficially visited in the past. They are good players who were attractive to schools all over the country and they took advantage of their opportunity. You never know.....one or two might end up transferring back if they find the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

• Plus1 2