How do Frost supporters defend the fact that our recruiting class is currently ranked 83 out of 130?

57 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Frost needs to win.  We better be top 3 in portal rankings. That’s all I can say about this. If he has his guys then fill in the gaps with the best portal players available. No excuses.

We won’t be. We’ll get a few decent players. A few more like Stepp. 

As in..non-existent.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

My guess is the coaches understand if they don't get some issues fixed next year their time here will come to an end. They are going to focus on recruiting kids from the portal that are more ready to play next year than a high school kid who could take 3 or 4 years to  mature and grow into the system. They are also looking for junior college kids with experience.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

My guess is the coaches understand if they don't get some issues fixed next year their time here will come to an end. They are going to focus on recruiting kids from the portal that are more ready to play next year than a high school kid who could take 3 or 4 years to  mature and grow into the system. They are also looking for junior college kids with experience.

Remember when they said they didn’t want to have to rely on junior college guys but had to because of lack of play ready depth? Year five will be the same story. Speaks to how they feel about the roster. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You want a few more guys who get injured,  after arriving injured, and disappear down the depth chart to never produce?

Sorry that was unclear. I meant we’ll get a few guys that are decent and a few more like Stepp as in non-impact guys. That was poorly worded on my part. 

• Thanks 2
On 10/16/2021 at 2:45 PM, BoSolich said:

recruiting looks terrible. boosters are buying up tickets to keep sellout alive. 

it's time to move on.

2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

that is truly unacceptable with the amount of money that is put into this program and the salary frost is making... regardless what our win/loss record is...

and yea... i'm sure we'll get a bunch of 3 stars to sign before signing day and huskeronline will bump up our class ranking as much as they can....

but clearly no top talent is interested in coming here and frost is no longer a name recruits are interested in playing for...

Bro you panicked and jumped out of the foxhole a week ago.  It was just getting roomy in here and you want back in???  f#&% that.  We'll handle it.

• Plus1 1

Some coaches can maximize results with the talent they have while others do not. Given poor coaching acumen, Frost really needs to knock it out of the park with recruiting. His first few classes were strong, but I agree being ranked dead last in the BIG is concerning.  I would not put all our stock in the transfer portal as that seems a bit risky.

• Plus1 2

"How do people who follow recruiting closely and have for a while defend the fact that our recruiting class is currently ranked 83 out of 130?"

Roster management due to the COVID year can't be blamed on the coaches - we're looking at 13 available scholarships this year, meaning we can't sign 20 like some schools plan to. 

The recruiting services have admitted they're not able to watch all the film this year due to the "COVID backlog", if you will. Expect ratings to change pretty drastically after HS FB season ends in December this year. 

Do I wish we were higher? Yes. Do I wish we were in on higher rated players? Yes. Am I hitting the panic button and saying Frost and his staff can't recruit? No, they've proven that isn't the case. 

Check back in January. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I can't add a single thing.  Good info.  If we continue to lose our own kids, that's no bueno.  Small class or not, it's shaping up to be a real dud.  End of the day, winning cures all.  And we haven't been winning.  The previous classes, I always said that the kids must like the vision that Frost is selling.  Moving forward, it appears that a lot of kids are no longer buying.  And we have not won with our "higher ranked" classes.  How will it look when we start pulling in the last class in the B1G. I think it's a valid concern and observation.

I'm certainly no expert as I don't pay much attention to recruiting these days, but IIRC this class is a bit of an exception because several of the top in-state kids are relatively recent transplants that never had any intention of putting on the scarlet and cream. They're not from here and never wanted to be Huskers. It's not like we just peed them down our leg like another Burrow situation.

I don't feel panicked looking forward. We've already got commits from two of the top 4 in-state guys I can find next year in Gottula and Brahmer. We were the first to offer Noonan. We just recently offered Malachi Coleman who is raw but looks to have some crazy physical gifts. Tuioti's kid is also in this class and offered.

Beyond that? Idk. In 2024 we've got an offer out to the BelEast QB and his teammate WR Dae'vonn Hall who seems like the other big recruit in that class. 

So it's not like they're just neglecting in-state kids. This year might just be a blip due to the specific crop of recruits having other interests.

But most of this discussing is moot because the single biggest drive of crootin is winning on Saturdays. They gotta do that or this problem never goes away. 

• Plus1 2

Also I'd argue flipping Stenger was a good move and the correct thing to do. He's an underrated baller. You want more Garrett Nelsons out there playing their hearts out? Because he'll be one of those guys. Stars be damned. 

At this juncture this staff needs more lower rated guys who outplay their measurables and are easy to coach because they just ball out on Saturdays because they've proven their incompetence coaching up the opposite type of recruit.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Also I'd argue flipping Stenger was a good move and the correct thing to do. He's an underrated baller. You want more Garrett Nelsons out there playing their hearts out? Because he'll be one of those guys. Stars be damned. 

At this juncture this staff needs more lower rated guys who outplay their measurables and are easy to coach because they just ball out on Saturdays because they've proven their incompetence coaching up the opposite type of recruit.

I just don't know if I can really point to an offensive player that has gotten "better: since being here. Guys on the D?  Quite a few for sure.  I just think the anchor around Frosts neck is the offensive staff.  We could go after "lower" rated guys of he showed the ability to develop them, but I am unsure we can.  Attrition/transfers/guys just leaving really seem to have hurt the offensive side much more than the defense