Why Scott Frost Should Stay

Trev could have said "Frost will be back in 2022"

It would have been easy. Just one single sentence. He did not.

Frost needs to win.

The things Trev said, he would also say if Frost got fired, that he was proud of him and enjoyed working alongside him. 

He is protecting the program. No coach would ever come here if the AD wasn't supportive and that is what Trev is doing. He is supporting Scott. This is appealing to coaches. 

If Scott rattles off some wins, then Trev can announce the day after a win that Scott is staying. If Scott doesn't win? Expect more supportive messaging like this.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kentmick said:

Frost needs to win.

The things Trev said he would say if Frost got fired, that he was proud of him and enjoyed working alongside him. 

He is protecting the program. No coach would ever come here if the AD wasn't supportive and that is what Trev is doing. He is supporting Scott. This is appealing to coaches. 

If Scott rattles off some wins, then Trev can announce the day after a win that Scott is staying. If Scott doesn't win? Expect more supportive messaging like this.

No AD in their right mind is going to make comments like that regardless of SF's fate.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
16 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

No...Duval is not a good S&C coach.  

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?

Duval as a head S&C coach

<pre Duval 2009 Buffalo 5-7>

2010 Buffalo 2-10

2011 Buffalo 3-9

2012 Buffalo 4-8

2013 Buffalo 8-5

<pre Duval 2013 Wyoming 5-7>

2014 Wyoming 4-8

2015 Wyoming 2-10

<pre Duval 2015 UCF 0-12>

2016 UCF 6-7

2017 UCF 13-0

<pre Duval 2017 Nebraska 4-8>

2018 Nebraska 4-8

2019 Nebraska 5-7

2020 Nebraska 3-5

2021 Nebraska 3-5

Buffalo 17-32 .357

Wyoming 6-18 .250

UCF 19-7 .731

Nebraska 15-25 .375

Overall 57-82 .410

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

No AD in their right mind is going to make comments like that regardless of SF's fate.

Thats true. But anyone thinking it means Frost is staying is delusional. We are at a point where each side is only seeing/hearing what they want. What Trev said also doesn't mean that Frost is gone either. He simply punted the decision. It was a smart NON COMMITTAL move.

If I had to venture a guess...Trev is hoping one of 2 things happen, the feelers he has orchestrated to potential replacements get a bite and talks heat up.

OR

Frost gets to 6 wins.

Either of these would make Trev's job very very easy.

Until then? Punt to the end of the season, which any AD should, and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

Since before he even got hired I wondered if Frost really wanted to be at Nebraska, or if he felt it was more of an obligation than anything to take the job. You could see how torn he was in the interview after UCF beat USF to complete their undefeated season. He probably felt the pressure of how much he was needed at home and felt he needed to take the job. From the moment he took the job I wondered if he really wanted it. He never seemed overly excited and energetic about the job, and I do get some of that persona may just be what he wanted to express as a head coach, but still, I didn't sense that true excitement like he actually just got his dream job.

Now take that body language and see all the events that have happened to him on the field and off the field and these past 4 years seem like Hell for Frost. I mean didn't his house get burglarized in his first season? His very first game is cancelled due to weather, mass transfers, no success on the field, his Father passes away, intense microscope from the fan base, I mean since his return home I don't think he has had much fun in Nebraska, and who would given all that he has been dealt?

Look you can give me a free all inclusive trip to the Bahamas,  but if I get the stomach flu day one and am sick my entire time there, for one I want to get the hell out of there and back home to rest and I will forever look back at that trip and time as a bad time. Even though it's the Bahamas and others may view it as paradise, I would have my own personal experience there and it wouldn't be good.

I've long worried and wondered if Frost himself would leave just because this wasn't what he thought it would be and he hasn't had fun. I could see Frost and Nebraska ultimately just parting ways and no one gets fired.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

And you certainly can’t take a simple short canned statement like that and proceed to explain what it really must mean with 8+ long paragraphs. 

I think you just proved my point.  My response to Hedley was five [5] paragraphs, two of those paragraphs are a sentence each.  To bloviate your point, [where you are trying to insult and make me look like an idiot], you are making out my three [3] paragraphs and two sentences into eight [8] paragraphs and each of those are stated as "long".  

It's the same thing that Trevor was doing.  Frost is not just "1-2 games in".  At a minimum, he is 8 games in and 3-5.  

I get it.  I see what you are doing.  It's more than obvious of your issues with me.  You and I both know what that deeper issue is ... but rather than truly converse and agree or disagree, you continue to use the forum to mock and insult. 

You are an interesting human for sure.  I can't throw stones at you as I get it.  But you win again JJ ... applause for you.

You are correct, I didn't need to use three long paragraphs.  I just found it interesting to have the opposite feeling as Hedley ... and thought I'd take the time to share with him how my mind was seeing it.  FYI, I did purpose to construct this as five [5] paragraphs so it could get ridiculed as well [trust me, I'm not a bad guy.  I wouldn't ruffle your feathers in person].

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Kentmick said:

Frost needs to win.

The things Trev said, he would also say if Frost got fired, that he was proud of him and enjoyed working alongside him. 

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he say a while back that Frost wasn't playing for his job this season?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I just don't know what type of coordinators are going to want to come to a school where the HC's seat is white-hot

That is a pretty good point.  Many people call for coordinator/position coach changes but in reality we would likely be getting unproven guys who are just looking for their big opportunity.  

I actually think the O Line will be pretty good next year IF we don't lose key guys to the portal.  Most people only looking surface deep will say Austin really did a good job.  Would it be deserving??  Idk 

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

I think you just proved my point.  My response to Hedley was five [5] paragraphs, two of those paragraphs are a sentence each.  To bloviate your point, [where you are trying to insult and make me look like an idiot], you are making out my three [3] paragraphs and two sentences into eight [8] paragraphs and each of those are stated as "long".  

It's the same thing that Trevor was doing.  Frost is not just "1-2 games in".  At a minimum, he is 8 games in and 3-5.  

I get it.  I see what you are doing.  It's more than obvious of your issues with me.  You and I both know what that deeper issue is ... but rather than truly converse and agree or disagree, you continue to use the forum to mock and insult. 

You are an interesting human for sure.  I can't throw stones at you as I get it.  But you win again JJ ... applause for you.

You are correct, I didn't need to use three long paragraphs.  I just found it interesting to have the opposite feeling as Hedley ... and thought I'd take the time to share with him how my mind was seeing it.  FYI, I did purpose to construct this as five [5] paragraphs so it could get ridiculed as well [trust me, I'm not a bad guy.  I wouldn't ruffle your feathers in person].

It’s not always all about you. Yes you had plenty to say about what Trev really meant, but you weren’t the only one blowing a few sentences into multiple paragraphs of explaining exactly what it all must mean. Sorry if you felt that was aimed directly at you but it wasn’t (not all of it anyway).

BTW, I went back and counted your contribution. Ironically it was exactly 8 paragraphs (even if I did pull the 8 number right out of my a$$). And then 5 more complaining directly to my off the cuff one sentence post. Maybe I should’ve claimed 20 paragraphs, to help you avoid confusion, because that’s the minimum that’s been wasted on what Trev really must’ve meant.