Why Scott Frost Should Stay

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The thing that seems to get overlooked in these Clash song should he stay or should he go questions is, the people on the go side always assume things will get better with a new guy. Nebraska has proven repeatedly that is not necessarily or even usually the case.

I won’t and can’t argue that Frost’s results thus far don’t lean towards needing to start over. It’s been subpar and less than acceptable. Fact. But we have all seen the flashes of what could be and have all witnessed spells of much better football than we’ve seen the last 20 years in Lincoln. You’re being dishonest if you can’t/won’t acknowledge that much. I won’t claim any moral victories but I have not seen the Huskers competitive the way they were against OU, MSU and Michigan this season in a long long time. The line play has improved by leaps and bounds even if they have a ways to go. Just look at the difference between the last two Michigan games. It’s night and day. But yes, actual victories need to start happening.

I am on the fence on this question but have decided that I will wait and see what happens in these next 4 games. Seems like the logical thing. We all know that Trev will definitely not be making any changes before this season ends. Might be helpful if some armchair know-it-alls took the same approach. The window is closing for HCSF to keep this job but it hasn’t closed yet. Be careful what you advocate for, you might just get it.

I agree with this.  I was watching the Seahawks and Saints game last night and watching the Seahawks was like watching NU.  Horrible oline play, couldn't kick, horrible penalties on third down that gave the Saints a first (4 times) and a qb who wouldn't get rid of the ball fast enough. 

They are extremely average without Wilson to cover some of their flaws.  Look at Clemson, they are struggling awfully hard without Lawrence this season.  Ohio State was struggling at the beginning of the season but now Stroud is playing some great ball and they look much better.  There's plenty of other examples I could find.  WE NEED AN ELITE QB.  Martinez may get there some day but at this point he's not there.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

We need to remember this, we need to remember why he was hired.

Here's the crux of the matter, though. There is a distinct difference between casting a vision and actually tangibly executing a successful plan.

Yes, Frost has played really well from the "bring the emotions to the table" angle and has been really strong at casting a vision about a big turnaround...but has he personally really laid much of a hand on actually fixing things?

He definitely made excellent choices at strength & conditioning with Duvall - so there's a check box in that category. And Chinander has wound up being well above par - also a Frost decision.

But there's a difference between being a visionary and actually executing a plan. Scott has been strong on the former and weak on the latter, in my opinion. That's the problem, and that's why he's a perpetual 5-7 losing coach.

8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree with this.  I was watching the Seahawks and Saints game last night and watching the Seahawks was like watching NU.  Horrible oline play, couldn't kick, horrible penalties on third down that gave the Saints a first (4 times) and a qb who wouldn't get rid of the ball fast enough. 

They are extremely average without Wilson to cover some of their flaws.  Look at Clemson, they are struggling awfully hard without Lawrence this season.  Ohio State was struggling at the beginning of the season but now Stroud is playing some great ball and they look much better.  There's plenty of other examples I could find.  WE NEED AN ELITE QB.  Martinez may get there some day but at this point he's not there.

There's an elite QB who's dad was an All-American at Nebraska, but we have a slim-to-none shot at getting him. 

13 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I was surprised to see Devine Ozigbo playing for the Saints and getting a couple touches -- which is pretty hard playing behind Kamara. 

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The thing that seems to get overlooked in these Clash song should he stay or should he go questions is, the people on the go side always assume things will get better with a new guy. Nebraska has proven repeatedly that is not necessarily or even usually the case.

I won’t and can’t argue that Frost’s results thus far don’t lean towards needing to start over. It’s been subpar and less than acceptable. Fact. But we have all seen the flashes of what could be and have all witnessed spells of much better football than we’ve seen the last 20 years in Lincoln. You’re being dishonest if you can’t/won’t acknowledge that much. I won’t claim any moral victories but I have not seen the Huskers competitive the way they were against OU, MSU and Michigan this season in a long long time. The line play has improved by leaps and bounds even if they have a ways to go. Just look at the difference between the last two Michigan games. It’s night and day. But yes, actual victories need to start happening.

I am on the fence on this question but have decided that I will wait and see what happens in these next 4 games. Seems like the logical thing. We all know that Trev will definitely not be making any changes before this season ends. Might be helpful if some armchair know-it-alls took the same approach. The window is closing for HCSF to keep this job but it hasn’t closed yet. Be careful what you advocate for, you might just get it.

I wonder if Nebraska fans said this while we hired and fired 7 guys before we hit with Devaney. Or if Oklahoma fans felt that way before arriving at Stoops. Or Alabama before they hit with Saban. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was surprised to see Devine Ozigbo playing for the Saints and getting a couple touches -- which is pretty hard playing behind Kamara. 

Yeah...when you're behind Alvin Kamara on the depth chart your main job is probably just getting really good at grabbing him a coffee at the office.   :D

As to the other comment somebody made about Seattle looking like the skers...they're a shell without Wilson. They can't do anything without him. Fairly typical, really.

I think we are all mystified how the same coaching staff that orchestrated the UCF turnaround AND beat Auburn in a big bowl game could come to Nebraska and perform as poorly as they have (particularly when compared with all other coaches for the same span). Yes, the games are competitive & I don't see players quitting on Frost (and team) which is ONE thing in their favor. However, we all know that being a successful coach means being successful at (or correctly delegating) multiple things:

Recruiting players (garbage in/garbage out)
Developing players (S&C plus practices and coaching players up)

Retaining players (with the new Transfer Portal rules)

Then there is the proper assessment of players:

• Giving scholarships to walk-ons that help the program
• Recognizing where we need a Plan B (or a Plan A in the case of kickers and TRUE Special Teams coach)

• Knowing that your best GAME player at every position is your starter

• Managing your travel roster correctly

Then there is game planning (or even Conference Level Planning)

• Playcalling 

• Correct player rotation & substitution (Rotations on the lines and sustaining a drive to rest your defense, for example)

• Ability to make adjustments during a game (The Illinois excuse is the worst excuse I have ever heard and I can't believe he uttered it.)
• Clock management

Frost can point to the fact that we are losing games by only one or two plays, but any one of the above (on the coaches, not the players) is what makes that one or two plays difference in the game.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, cheekygeek said:

I think we are all mystified how the same coaching staff that orchestrated the UCF turnaround AND beat Auburn in a big bowl game could come to Nebraska and perform as poorly as they have (particularly when compared with all other coaches for the same span).

Actually, I think our fans were mystified about this as late as the end of the 2019 season. But now it's clear (IMO) that McKenzie Milton was lightning in a bottle and that team wound up having like 3-4 players get drafted. Then also, they had two juniors and two seniors on the offensive line in 2017.

When you add those three variables up and combine them with the kind of competition in the AAC it's pretty evident that things basically just all landed right-side up that year for them.

There's practically zero correlation to our situation there, and I don't think the staff really played that big of a role in that 2017 UCF season outside of just being really good motivators.

Things were better lined up this season talent wise, but the schedule was a bit of a beast, and it looks like Scott Frost won't be able to capitalize. 

Next season, the schedule eases up a bit, but we (likely?) lose our veteran QB and some defensive stalwarts, without proven backups or an exciting recruiting class to talk about. 

If we're down with Season Five for Scott Frost -- and I'm certainly open to it given the options -- are we again looking at six wins and bowling as the necessary progress to give Frost seasons Six and Seven? 

Sorta feels like this could go on forever, and that's why I don't begrudge doubters for wondering if we should pull off the band-aid now.

Going 2-2 in the last four would be great for making Scott Frost's case.  

• Plus1 1

First off I'll say I think Frost should stay for next year.

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Going 2-2 in the last four would be great for making Scott Frost's case.  

I think he stays either way, but I don't think going 2/2 in the last four is even meaningful. 3/4 is the threshold where he shows that he personally helped turn things around and got us bowl eligible. Going 2-2 makes us 5-7, which given this is the best he's personally done and also makes it a full five losing seasons in a row makes it no kind of accomplishment at all.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If we're down with Season Five for Scott Frost -- and I'm certainly open to it given the options -- are we again looking at six wins and bowling as the necessary progress to give Frost seasons Six and Seven? 

For me it's 7-5. If he goes 6-6 next year I think he just flat out deserves to be fired. 5 tries with no winning regular season? That would be truly pathetic.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I wonder if Nebraska fans said this while we hired and fired 7 guys before we hit with Devaney. Or if Oklahoma fans felt that way before arriving at Stoops. Or Alabama before they hit with Saban. 

I don’t know. Check into that and let me know. I’d bet at least one person said it?

So through deductive reasoning are we to think that nobody has screwed the pooch harder than MSU when they got rid of Saban?

One thing we do know is that many Nebraska fans were ready to cut TO loose before he took the program to the promised land. And he had much better records… So I’m not real sure what the value of what fans had to say is.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

A few questions and answers...

Can Frost still succeed at Nebraska?

Still unknown.

If so, how long will it take?

Still unknown.

How much longer will Husker Nation have patience with Frost?

The scales are tipping against him with every poor performance.

Can the Huskers get a coach who would be more successful than Frost?

Probably. It would be hard for someone to have a worse record than that of the last few years.

Is the Husker job still an attractive one?

Yes and no. Yes, for the strong loyal fan base and the program-centered uniqueness of the State of Nebraska. No, because recruiting has been a problem against the Southeastern Powers and the legacy programs in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. And now, the idea that Nebraska is no longer a National powerhouse.

Does Frost want a fresh start somewhere else away from the home State pressure?

Part of him says no (probably). Part of him says yes (probably).

What type of coach should follow Frost when the time comes?

Somehow who understands the Rust Belt mentality of Big 10 football and get some top Rust Belt talent and with the knowledge to begin to really compete with the legacy Big 10 blue bloods which The Red have yet to do.

How will history mark the Frost era?

It was a hire that made sense at the time. He was a hot commodity and seemed the perfect fit for the Huskers. But everyone is disappointed at how things have turned out... and most of all, him. No one wants to fail at their profession. No one wants to look bad in his home State. There is no higher victory for the State of Nebraska than to be the one to return the program to its former glory.

Whatever happens, everyone will carry on one way or another. But if the Huskers are to stay in the Big 10 long-term, they are going to have to learn how to win the Big 10 way. What’s that? Look at Columbus because that’s what you’re competing against. And have to beat.

If you can’t compete with Ohio State and Michigan and Pennsylvania State, it’s time to look at being in some other conference and getting to the playoffs that way. Once there, take your chances. Because Nebraska (the fans and the suits) won't accept the status quo much longer. Nor should they.

• Thanks 1