Why Scott Frost Should Stay

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Things were better lined up this season talent wise, but the schedule was a bit of a beast, and it looks like Scott Frost won't be able to capitalize. 

Next season, the schedule eases up a bit, but we (likely?) lose our veteran QB and some defensive stalwarts, without proven backups or an exciting recruiting class to talk about. 

If we're down with Season Five for Scott Frost -- and I'm certainly open to it given the options -- are we again looking at six wins and bowling as the necessary progress to give Frost seasons Six and Seven? 

Sorta feels like this could go on forever, and that's why I don't begrudge doubters for wondering if we should pull off the band-aid now.

Going 2-2 in the last four would be great for making Scott Frost's case.  

Good.  Frosty's downfall in retrospect is going to revolve around 2 main things: Lack of discipline and development on the offensive side of the ball... and 2. Hitching his wagon and success to a QB who defines mediocrity.  The off the field tangibles of 2AM are great and all, and yeah, we're prolly worse off without him- but the kid has continually, for 4 years now, wilted in the big moments and made disastrous mistakes that have literally cost his team points and wins.

Fans want to see this program compete and win the west and thats just simply not going to happen when the most important position on the field and all of sports is manned by a guy who consistently comes out flat and sleep walks through halfs at a time, misses wide open reads, and makes the game incredibly more difficult than it needs to be

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The off the field tangibles of 2AM are great and all, and yeah, we're prolly worse off without him- but the kid has continually, for 4 years now, been expected to compensate for an entire team  that makes mistake after mistake all game long on the reg.

FIFY.  

• Plus1 1

Like, seriously. If we went through and made a list of game changing mistakes over the past 4 years, I wonder what percentage of them are on Adrian?  It doesn't have to be just one per game. Like, the safety at Minnesota.. That is Adrian for sure. But CTB's throw out of the endzone, the muffed punt and the wrong direction punt, etc.. Dropped TD passes, etc. I don't have time right now to go through and look at even the top 4 horrible plays on a per game basis in these losses, but it would be interesting to look at it somewhat objectively. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

FIFY.  

At a certain point accountability has to be brought up.  QB is the most important position in all of sports and this team would be much better off with a player who makes winning plays consistently.

Sure, his supporting case should be a helluva lot better-- but it wasn't the supporting cast that made that JV high school error of fumbling it for 7 the other way against illinois to end the half.  It wasn't the supporting cast that inexcusably fumbled the ball to end it against michigan. It wasnt the supporting cast that missed a wide open TD in overtime against mich st and instead had 3 negative plays in a row.  And it certainly isn't the supporting casts fault that for whatever reason 2AM seems to pick a game every 3 games of his career where he decides hes just going to air mail the simplest of throws and completely stall the offense for half or the majority of the game.

Kid has talent, no doubt, and frosty and staff have done a horrendous job maximizing that talent.  But I am just baffled why this guy literally sleep walks through so many games AND THEN when we're down by 10+ with a quarter and a half to go somehow a switch goes on and our offense looks solid.,

He's inconsistent at best.  He makes this team go and its no surprise the team as a whole is inconsistent at best

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

At a certain point accountability has to be brought up.  QB is the most important position in all of sports and this team would be much better off with a player who makes winning plays consistently.

Sure, his supporting case should be a helluva lot better-- but it wasn't the supporting cast that made that JV high school error of fumbling it for 7 the other way against illinois to end the half.  It wasn't the supporting cast that inexcusably fumbled the ball to end it against michigan. It wasnt the supporting cast that missed a wide open TD in overtime against mich st and instead had 3 negative plays in a row.  And it certainly isn't the supporting casts fault that for whatever reason 2AM seems to pick a game every 3 games of his career where he decides hes just going to air mail the simplest of throws and completely stall the offense for half or the majority of the game.

Kid has talent, no doubt, and frosty and staff have done a horrendous job maximizing that talent.  But I am just baffled why this guy literally sleep walks through so many games AND THEN when we're down by 10+ with a quarter and a half to go somehow a switch goes on and our offense looks solid.,

He's inconsistent at best.  He makes this team go and its no surprise the team as a whole is inconsistent at best

With all the other problems this team has exhibited I think it’s laughable to place the blame on the one player that has kept us even close to being competitive. Sure his ill timed mistakes stick out like a sore thumb but damn, look at the positions he’s been put in by the multitude of other mistakes. IMO he should be entitled to a turnover or a boneheaded mistake per game. Where is the OL, are they doing their job? Where is the defense for spells of games? Where are the RBs and WRs not tripping and falling or getting open regularly. Where are the special teams on basic things such as extra points, chip shot field goals, fielding and *gasp* actually returning punts, kick and punt coverage… Yeah 2AM seems to choke at the most inopportune times but a person should ask themselves what position this team would be in without him. Answer- we aren’t just one choke play short if the rest of the team isn’t stinking it up somewhere the entirety of the game. But sure, blame the QB, the best player on the field, because he touches the ball on every offensive down.

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

what position this team would be in without him. 

This is a good question, and I'm genuinely interested. What games have we won because of Adrian? Games that we couldn't have won without him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have had one game winning drive at the end of regulation, and it was done by Vedral.

Would we have only won 14 games rather than 16? Would we not have the close losses? I really don't know.

This probably sounds harsher than it is supposed to. This isn't supposed to be an indictment, just an honest question.

43 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

But I am just baffled why this guy literally sleep walks through so many games AND THEN when we're down by 10+ with a quarter and a half to go somehow a switch goes on and our offense looks solid

I'm pretty confident it's looked like how you describe this season because our offensive line hasn't created holes for our running backs in the first half of games. Outside of the Minnesota game, Frost was committed to running vanilla handoff plays quite a bit - and those plays just didn't move the chains (outside of the Northwestern game).

So I don't think that's Martinez "sleep walking through games" and then suddenly waking up towards the end. It's Frost's game plan not working, then being behind, and then having to get crazy with scrambles & extra pass plays in the second half because what we did in the first half just didn't work.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

With all the other problems this team has exhibited I think it’s laughable to place the blame on the one player that has kept us even close to being competitive. Sure his ill timed mistakes stick out like a sore thumb but damn, look at the positions he’s been put in by the multitude of other mistakes. IMO he should be entitled to a turnover or a boneheaded mistake per game. Where is the OL, are they doing their job? Where is the defense for spells of games? Where are the RBs and WRs not tripping and falling or getting open regularly. Where are the special teams on basic things such as extra points, chip shot field goals, fielding and *gasp* actually returning punts, kick and punt coverage… Yeah 2AM seems to choke at the most inopportune times but a person should ask themselves what position this team would be in without him. Answer- we aren’t just one choke play short if the rest of the team isn’t stinking it up somewhere the entirety of the game. But sure, blame the QB, the best player on the field, because he touches the ball on every offensive down.

What's laughable is your reading comprehension.  Not once did I say this is a 11-1 team if not for our qb.  I was responding to a post that mentioned our veteran qb might be gone- which I think is a good thing because i think this team needs a fresh face at qb.  I even went as far as mentioning a large part of frostys downfall is his lack of development and consistency on the offensive side of the ball (mainly our s#!t o line and whatever you want to call our ever changing offensive philosophy).

Sure, I could rattle off how I think our secondary is vastly overrated, how the OL you detailed has all the talent in the world yet lacks basic fundamentals, how our coaches seem to do absolutely nothing with the talent on hand.  But my response was to a post how giving frost another year isnt a guarantee anything will change.

And I disagree with the bolded.  a 4th year starting QB should not have this mentality or free pass.  Obviously he doesn't go into the game thinking this but isnt it a bit concerning to you for 4 years he still has inexcusable games where he literally just seems passive AF and going through the motions with zero fire until its too late?  Not a leader I'd get behind-- this team comes out flat too often for my liking and thats directly tied back to this staff and leaders on the team.

And for the last bolded- thats the name of the game if you're the QB.  You want all the press, publicity and accolades when the team is doing well?  Well, you better be prepared to catch way more s#!t and flak when its not going well.  While it sucks to type this, I'd say the category of things going well has maybe applied twice during the frosty campaign (when we finished strong in 2018 and almost beat OSU and then this most recent 5 game stretch that came crashing down last game)... the sad part is both of these teams were still sub .500 and there's 2 commonalities- they're led by a coach who has an inept staff and a qb who can rack up stats and make highlight plays yet takes 2 steps back from his rookieesque errors and lack of consistency.  This is fine for a first year starter, but 4th year in the progrum? Enough is enough

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm pretty confident it's looked like how you describe this season because our offensive line hasn't created holes for our running backs in the first half of games. Outside of the Minnesota game, Frost was committed to running vanilla handoff plays quite a bit - and those plays just didn't move the chains (outside of the Northwestern game).

So I don't think that's Martinez "sleep walking through games" and then suddenly waking up towards the end. It's Frost's game plan not working, then being behind, and then having to get crazy with scrambles & extra pass plays in the second half because what we did in the first half just didn't work.

Its a combination of many things.  Beyond our inept o line play, there's just too many errant throws and missed reads-- things that are critical in frostys system (really anyone's system), that should not be occurring to the level they are today with a 4th year starter.  I just don't understand why for 4 years now we've consistnetly tuned into games where this kid looks like a fringe P5 starter for half or more of the game, then turns it on and looks unstoppable but its too late.

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

not working, then being behind, and then having to get crazy with scrambles & extra pass plays in the second half because what we did in the first half just didn't work.

Like the Michigan game.  If we could play consistently like we did in the 3rd quarter, Frost would have his signature win and we'd have a few less one score losses - which will have become wins.  But we cannot play consistent, disciplined football for some reason.  I think everyone acknowledges the improvement of the D and of the overall talent level from 4 years ago, but Frost's bread and butter (the offense) has never gelled into a fine tuned machine.  I have to pin it on coaching.  One could pin it on AM but really that is a coaching issue as well - where is our quality backup or QB who can actually out play and win the starting roll.  Okla Coach had the courage to sit a potential Heisman candidate for a true freshman. Not saying we would have had that quality of a 2nd string QB but we have been beaten by several 2nd and 3rd string QBs during the Frost era. 

It’s simple. Another losing season, he is canned. No ifs ands or buts. We can deal with a losing season once in a blue moon but not 4 consecutive. That destroys recruiting. Our 2022 class is already feeling the affect of what losing does. Trev will save everyone from wasting their time and energy on another year for Frost. The only way he saves face is by going 3-1 or win out which is easier said than done. A losing season is a losing season, period.

He’s proven to be an awful coach and his record speaks for itself. We cannot continue on like this. Everyone has to be aware of that by now.

58 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

...that should not be occurring to the level they are today with a 4th year starter.  I just don't understand why for 4 years now we've consistnetly tuned into games where this kid looks like a fringe P5 starter for half or more of the game, then turns it on and looks unstoppable but its too late.

If I'm putting words in your mouth, I apologize. I'm being cognizant of that.

I think your narrative represents the majority of Husker fans' sentiment - basically to make Adrian the scapegoat. And I think it's the wrong sentiment.

If you look at where he lands nationally in:

-Completion percentage

-Total rush yards

-Total pass yards

-Per play efficiency

and then you net out the untimely mistakes he sometimes makes, I think what you have is a QB that is really right on par with any of the other QBs in the B1G West that play for teams with winning seasons.

So...why don't we have winning seasons then if our starting QB is roughly on par with some of those teams'? Because we're dumpster fire with:

1. Special teams (which has been better over the last three games specifically but weren't early on in the season at all).

2. Poor coaching decisions.

3. Offensively we just don't get the run game going early on in games to put enough points on the board in the first half (this season anyway).

4. Again referring to this season, missed field goals have also been pretty huge.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think your narrative represents the majority of Husker fans' sentiment - basically to make Adrian the scapegoat. And I think it's the wrong sentiment.

-Completion percentage

-Total rush yards

-Total pass yards

-Per play efficiency

and then you net out the untimely mistakes he sometimes makes, I think what you have is a QB that is really right on par with any of the other QBs in the B1G West that play for teams with winning seasons.

So...why don't we have winning seasons? Because we're a perennial dumpster fire now with:

1. Special teams

2. Poor coaching decisions

3. Offensively we just don't get the run game going early on in games to put enough points on the board in the first half (this season anyway).

4. Again referring to this season, missed field goals have also been pretty huge.

Not putting words in my mouth at all and prolly coulda been more clear in my original post.  By no means am I trying to pile on 2AM or making him out to be a scapegoat.  We definitely dont win some games with out him but this is impossible to gauge as is the argument i made that he's cost us some games.

I think as a fan I'm just checked out on the 2AM experience and would like to see a new QB, given the magnitude of impact QB play has on football these days.  I just want more consistency out of the guy.  We have a massive room of improvement in so many areas-- and its equally baffling and frustrating to see this guy with all the talent in the world really not improve much since he came on campus.  

The same statement can be made for probably every single position group on this team except for linebacker, in my opinion, and even that group has massive room for improvement depending on how you define the OLB position in today's game and our system.

Football is the ultimate team sport and it be foolish to make the claim 2AM is what's holding us back.  I just want to see the guy succeed yet its so hard to continue to support him as the face of this program given the crushing way we've lost some of these winnable games

25 minutes ago, Undone said:

-Completion percentage

-Total rush yards

-Total pass yards

-Per play efficiency

So...why don't we have winning seasons? Because we're dumpster fire with:

1. Special teams (which has been better over the last three games specifically but weren't early on in the season at all).

2. Poor coaching decisions.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Honestly, the #1 reason Frost gets another year is that firing him next year is going to cost us $5 million less. 

Somehow Alberts will find a way to sign Frost to a 3-year extension before the end of this year, so it will actually cost us more to fire him next year. That's the Nebraska way.

• Plus1 2