Why Scott Frost Should Stay

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

HuskGuys describe the plan as "brilliant." It's probably more like "pure fantasy."

The idea that Smothers or Haarberg go in and do better than Adrian at closing out a game is probably as much comical as it is a good idea to try. But hey, I will say this: we're absolutely a 5-7 dumpster fire, so maybe it's time to throw everything at em including the kitchen sink?

Have to do something differently than what we're doing now, I totally agree with that.

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

HuskGuys describe the plan as "brilliant." It's probably more like "pure fantasy."

The idea that Smothers or Haarberg go in and do better than Adrian at closing out a game is probably as much comical as it is a good idea to try. But hey, I will say this: we're absolutely a 5-7 dumpster fire, so maybe it's time to throw everything at em including the kitchen sink?

Have to do something differently than what we're doing now, I totally agree with that.

I took it more as tongue in cheek, with the bullpen reference, since it's World Series game 1 day :D

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

What's laughable is your reading comprehension.  Not once did I say this is a 11-1 team if not for our qb.  I was responding to a post that mentioned our veteran qb might be gone- which I think is a good thing because i think this team needs a fresh face at qb.  I even went as far as mentioning a large part of frostys downfall is his lack of development and consistency on the offensive side of the ball (mainly our s#!t o line and whatever you want to call our ever changing offensive philosophy).

Sure, I could rattle off how I think our secondary is vastly overrated, how the OL you detailed has all the talent in the world yet lacks basic fundamentals, how our coaches seem to do absolutely nothing with the talent on hand.  But my response was to a post how giving frost another year isnt a guarantee anything will change.

And I disagree with the bolded.  a 4th year starting QB should not have this mentality or free pass.  Obviously he doesn't go into the game thinking this but isnt it a bit concerning to you for 4 years he still has inexcusable games where he literally just seems passive AF and going through the motions with zero fire until its too late?  Not a leader I'd get behind-- this team comes out flat too often for my liking and thats directly tied back to this staff and leaders on the team.

And for the last bolded- thats the name of the game if you're the QB.  You want all the press, publicity and accolades when the team is doing well?  Well, you better be prepared to catch way more s#!t and flak when its not going well.  While it sucks to type this, I'd say the category of things going well has maybe applied twice during the frosty campaign (when we finished strong in 2018 and almost beat OSU and then this most recent 5 game stretch that came crashing down last game)... the sad part is both of these teams were still sub .500 and there's 2 commonalities- they're led by a coach who has an inept staff and a qb who can rack up stats and make highlight plays yet takes 2 steps back from his rookieesque errors and lack of consistency.  This is fine for a first year starter, but 4th year in the progrum? Enough is enough

Okay. Opinions may differ.

FWIW, I too would like a QB that would bail us out on all the other glaring deficiencies. I just fall on the other side of the fence as to what/who is really to blame at this point. He’s the best QB we currently have and likely would be the best next year if he returns. The phrase throwing the baby out with the bath water seems to apply in this case. IMO Adrian is way down the list of this team’s problems. We may disagree on that.

No need to get testy about reading comprehension. I replied to what you posted. If it was somehow out of context, sorry. But you did say what you said so :P

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay. Opinions may differ.

FWIW, I too would like a QB that would bail us out on all the other glaring deficiencies. I just fall on the other side of the fence as to what/who is really to blame at this point. He’s the best QB we currently have and likely would be the best next year if he returns. The phrase throwing the baby out with the bath water seems to apply in this case. IMO Adrian is way down the list of this team’s problems. We may disagree on that.

No need to get testy about reading comprehension. I replied to what you posted. If it was somehow out of context, sorry. But you did say what you said so :P

I think your throwing your baby out w/ the bathwater is very apt here.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to paint the picture the only broken thing with this team is Adrian.  This team is very broken and some areas way more than what's broken with qb.  

I just long for the days of having a team captain and leader on this team not be the one to make back breaking mistakes and rather often.  I know its cliche to say this, but hot damn they need to lead by example out there on the field and when I think about the leaders on this team who have been here for a while- namely adrian and CTB, I see all the talent in the world yet continual head scratching errors that hurt this team and its so f'n painful.

You're probably right, 2AM prolly our best option for next year too, its just maddening that we would be in year 5 of frosty (next year) and somehow we've only had 1 qb this whole time without much hype/promise for someone else in the depth chart.  Just feels like we've hitched our broken wagon to somone with high upside but even higher risk based off what we've seen

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think your throwing your baby out w/ the bathwater is very apt here.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to paint the picture the only broken thing with this team is Adrian.  This team is very broken and some areas way more than what's broken with qb.  

I just long for the days of having a team captain and leader on this team not be the one to make back breaking mistakes and rather often.  I know its cliche to say this, but hot damn they need to lead by example out there on the field and when I think about the leaders on this team who have been here for a while- namely adrian and CTB, I see all the talent in the world yet continual head scratching errors that hurt this team and its so f'n painful.

You're probably right, 2AM prolly our best option for next year too, its just maddening that we would be in year 5 of frosty (next year) and somehow we've only had 1 qb this whole time without much hype/promise for someone else in the depth chart.  Just feels like we've hitched our broken wagon to somone with high upside but even higher risk based off what we've seen

I can’t disagree with any of that. It is maddening. Even by pure accident we should be getting better results.

I’ve just resigned myself to seeing what transpires in these last 4 games. If they play up to potential and don’t beat themselves (tall order I know), they should win 3 of 4 and possibly all 4 if tOSU is a little off like they were at the beginning of the season. 0 or 1 win and I won’t be sticking up for any of them. 2 wins is the grey area for me. 3 or 4 and I’m probably looking forward to both Frost and Martinez returning.

In defense of AM.....OL play hasn't helped.  Play calling hasn't helped.  2019/2020 WR play didn't help.  2019-2021 RB play hasn't helped.  Verduzco 2018-2021 hasn't helped.  Playing him injured hasn't helped.  He has some issues, fumbles, decision making et al, but he is not the sole reason for his issues.  After 2018 (Frost's "best" team") he was a Hypesman hopeful.....

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I would disagree with that. I think this is his best team. But they still aren’t winning. 

Foster, Farmer, Stan and Oz......Pretty solid cast on the O side is what I was referencing.  

Stan-1st 1000 yrd receiver in NU history

Oz-1st 1000 yard rusher in 3-4 IIRC

AM-freshman AA

Pretty solid offensive production....Defense let us down that year.

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This team beats that team. 

2021 beats 2018?  I wouldn’t be so sure about that..  Defense is better now.  Offense is not....That sad reality is we are discussing which of our losing record teams is the least bad of the 4 we currently have......

I’d still take, Foster, Farmer, Stan and Oz and AM 2018 in a heart beat.....

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

2021 beats 2018?  I wouldn’t be so sure about that..  Defense is better now.  Offense is not....That sad reality is we are discussing which of our losing record teams is the least bad of the 4 we currently have......

I’d still take, Foster, Farmer, Stan and Oz and AM 2018 in a heart beat.....

Defense trumps offense.  

Strength and conditioning is better. 

defense is much better. 

offense is equal or a slight step back.