Why Scott Frost Should Stay

45 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So he shows support without putting all the eggs in the basket. So more or less what all of us have been saying. Show us something these next 5 weeks Frosty

I don't see it that way at all.  I'm not saying you are wrong ... just how I see it.

He is "proud" of Frost.  Says it twice.  One time he even adds in "extraordinary".  It's a big difference.  He's contrasting a "perspective" that Trev is putting himself on the opposite side of the spectrum.  To Trev, he sees "great things" in what Scott and the staff has done.  This is also why I think Scott thinks he is only 1-2 players away.

The fascinating statement to me is that Trev uses the, "I watch other institutions fire coaches two games in".  Um, who is that?  Tell me how that has happened over and over again.  Scott has had four [4] years with another five [5] to go.  He got an extension to a seven [7] year contract after going 8-14 for an additional two years.  Who does that?  So, when Trev uses his example, he's selling a statement that by no means has Nebraska violated.  We've done the exact opposite.  Yet, he is using it as the basis of why you too should have his perspective that Scott is doing "great things" and you too can be "extraordinarily proud" of.

Thus, Trev is excited about four more opportunities to prove all that Trev believes will show the "great things" and why he is "proud".

For me, Trev is stating that Scott is here to stay ... everyone who disagrees just needs more time to come to the only conclusion that is feasible.  Trev is conclusive and stating that he is committed to Frost and that their will be an evaluation time and it will all gets it's due course and measure.  In the end, he is supporting Frost.  My conclusion is that Scott is safe for this season and next until more than "just a few games" are played.  That is the "sell" that Trev is really making.  To him, Scott has just got started in his first season and their isn't enough to judge, weigh or measure.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I don't see it that way at all.  I'm not saying you are wrong ... just how I see it.

He is "proud" of Frost.  Says it twice.  One time he even adds in "extraordinary".  It's a big difference.  He's contrasting a "perspective" that Trev is putting himself on the opposite side of the spectrum.  To Trev, he sees "great things" in what Scott and the staff has done.  This is also why I think Scott thinks he is only 1-2 players away.

The fascinating statement to me is that Trev uses the, "I watch other institutions fire coaches two games in".  Um, who is that?  Tell me how that has happened over and over again.  Scott has had four [4] years with another five [5] to go.  He got an extension to a seven [7] year contract after going 8-14 for an additional two years.  Who does that?  So, when Trev uses his example, he's selling a statement that by no means has Nebraska violated.  We've done the exact opposite.  Yet, he is using it as the basis of why you too should have his perspective that Scott is doing "great things" and you too can be "extraordinarily proud" of.

Thus, Trev is excited about four more opportunities to prove all that Trev believes will show the "great things" and why he is "proud".

For me, Trev is stating that Scott is here to stay ... everyone who disagrees just needs more time to come to the only conclusion that is feasible.  Trev is conclusive and stating that he is committed to Frost and that their will be an evaluation time and it will all gets it's due course and measure.  In the end, he is supporting Frost.  My conclusion is that Scott is safe for this season and next until more than "just a few games" are played.  That is the "sell" that Trev is really making.  To him, Scott has just got started in his first season and their isn't enough to judge, weigh or measure.

I read the fire 2 games in part of the statement as that he isnt going to make any in-season decisions and waits until seasons conclude to make decisions on coaches. If he were to fire Frost at the end of the year he will say things like he is proud of what Frost tried to do etc. I think his statement is the ultimate show support without committing to anything. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So he shows support without putting all the eggs in the basket. So more or less what all of us have been saying. Show us something these next 5 weeks Frosty

I got the feeling during that little speech, in response to that direct question,  that our Athletic Director was showcasing himself as the kind of athletic director you would want to work for. 

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, hagg said:

I got the feeling during that little speech, in response to that direct question,  that our Athletic Director was showcasing himself as the kind of athletic director you would want to work for. 

exactly what I took from that as well. he positioned himself for whichever way this season ends. 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I read the fire 2 games in part of the statement as that he isnt going to make any in-season decisions and waits until seasons conclude to make decisions on coaches. If he were to fire Frost at the end of the year he will say things like he is proud of what Frost tried to do etc. I think his statement is the ultimate show support without committing to anything. 

Yes, I get that ... but again ... even Frost isn't two games in with Trev there.  He is eight [8] games in ... and 3-5.  To me, I see what he is doing ... because I do this sort of thing at times as well ... and it's really a dishonest thing [I'm working on those underlying things for me now].  

He's stating how "unfair" it is to make a judgment two [2] games into a season.   BUT, he's eight [8] games into the season.  Not only that, even though Trev has not been here ... Scott is four [4] seasons in.  So, in it all, the "logic/reasoning/argument" being used is really disingenuous and unfair.  We all do this.  I far more than others.  What I am pointing to though is that he is stating it that way to sell what he wants your view to be.  It's not a fair statement if one truly wants to live in reality and have relationships built on trust.  It would simply be better to state that, "I've been here for eight [8] games.  Like perhaps other institutions who are eight [8] games in, I think it's best to make evaluations at the end of the season.  There will be time for that after the season is concluded.  I'm really excited to see what we can accomplish with the rest of the season."  I would have loved and appreciate that sort of statement.

Anyway, I'm just chewing on your thoughts, my thoughts and discussing what's in my head.  Ha ha.

Enjoy your day. 

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Undone said:

You can't read too much into what an AD says publicly in time like these. You can't go "Oh, he said 'this' so that means he's not going to fire anyone."

I don't think it works like that.

And you certainly can’t take a simple short canned statement like that and proceed to explain what it really must mean with 8+ long paragraphs. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I honestly think Trev is waiting to see what the next 4 games look like.  I think he has a bunch of scenarios in his head, but doesn't know yet.  

I am sure the only thing he knows for sure, is if he can afford a buyout or not.

I’m pretty sure if it comes to the buyout scenario he will have all the booster support he needs. The money is only a hurdle until it isn’t.

Meaning- he won’t get rid of him unless enough of the right boosters want him to.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And you certainly can’t take a simple short canned statement like that and proceed to explain what it really must mean with 8+ long paragraphs. 

Yeah...

Obviously we've had a bye week so there's not as much to talk about. Not sure which is worse though: Talking about this stuff or dissecting our terrible football team LOL.

If any of you ultimately think this is Trev's decision, you are incorrect.  Trev's job is to remain positive and supportive up until the time his bosses tell him to cut the cord.  Based on his comments, I believe there is enough support to retain Frost IF the Huskers don't completely flop in our last 4 games.  I think that is pretty obvious- everyone wants this to work.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

He's just made so many bad decisions. 

I see and hear a lot of bagging on Martinez. It's not warranted. He's a great kid, and plays his guts out - even hurt. The problem is that Frost is putting him in a position where he can't succeed. Why on God's green earth would you expect him to be a drop-back passer with a young, porous offensive line? Even then, on the rare occasion that he does have time to throw, how often does he make a good read, and deliver a solid pass on target? Sometimes, sure, but obviously not often enough. This should have been obvious in year 1, and it was. He just can't do it. So WHY continue to put him in that position? 

One would think that, of all people, a guy like Scott Frost would understand the importance of the running game in a place like Lincoln. It's pretty simple. If we can't move the ball on the ground, and have a top-5 running game, we will NEVER be a relevant program again. I know, I know, EVERY coach wants a top-5 running game (except Mike Riley, apparently), but if Frost and Co. FOCUSED on that, it could absolutely happen here again. But it will NEVER happen with this dink and dunk, whatever-the-heck zone scheme offense he's trying to run. What's wrong with hat-for-hat, downhill, dominate-the-guy-across-from-you blocking?

Lastly, I also see a lot of people here saying we need an elite QB to be successful. Newsflash: they ain't going to pick the Big Red. Ever. Arch Manning would bust a gut laughing if someone brought up Lincoln as his choice. So why try to run an offense that requires a Mariota/Milton/Mahomes when we aren't getting that kid? 

If Frost doesn't get this stuff now, I don't see that he ever will. We will not be relevant until we get a guy in Lincoln that understands these things.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

He's just made so many bad decisions. 

I see and hear a lot of bagging on Martinez. It's not warranted. He's a great kid, and plays his guts out - even hurt. The problem is that Frost is putting him in a position where he can't succeed. Why on God's green earth would you expect him to be a drop-back passer with a young, porous offensive line? Even then, on the rare occasion that he does have time to throw, how often does he make a good read, and deliver a solid pass on target? Sometimes, sure, but obviously not often enough. This should have been obvious in year 1, and it was. He just can't do it. So WHY continue to put him in that position? 

One would think that, of all people, a guy like Scott Frost would understand the importance of the running game in a place like Lincoln. It's pretty simple. If we can't move the ball on the ground, and have a top-5 running game, we will NEVER be a relevant program again. I know, I know, EVERY coach wants a top-5 running game (except Mike Riley, apparently), but if Frost and Co. FOCUSED on that, it could absolutely happen here again. But it will NEVER happen with this dink and dunk, whatever-the-heck zone scheme offense he's trying to run. What's wrong with hat-for-hat, downhill, dominate-the-guy-across-from-you blocking?

Lastly, I also see a lot of people here saying we need an elite QB to be successful. Newsflash: they ain't going to pick the Big Red. Ever. Arch Manning would bust a gut laughing if someone brought up Lincoln as his choice. So why try to run an offense that requires a Mariota/Milton/Mahomes when we aren't getting that kid? 

If Frost doesn't get this stuff now, I don't see that he ever will. We will not be relevant until we get a guy in Lincoln that understands these things.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

There is just too much there...smh