What’s your (unpopular) Husker hot take?

I miss the original Big XII. 

Politics aside, I wish that version of the conference still existed just for the opponents alone.  There was more History, more Tradition, it was hard to let that go even when we did make the move.  The move was the correct move overall to the Big Ten though. 

Yeah there's more money in the Big Ten & that will in general help the University as an institution which is great, but from just nostalgia and history alone, I miss the original Big XII.  It's just hard to get excited about Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers [I'm sure some may same of us current day].  We haven't been truly good since Bo was let go.  The "hard to get excited" for some of the games could just be because of the struggles from 2015 onward, but the Big Ten still feels like someone else's home.  Deep down I'd rather us hang 56 on a Big XII team that we have history with.  Maybe it'll be better once we get back to 9 wins & competing for Conference Championships.

I wish there could have been something like the Big XII Network like we have with the Big Ten Network and less politics, less of the the 11-1 votes and things like that.  I'd still prefer that as a Conference even with or without a protected Rivalry Game against Oklahoma.

"Frost just needs more time." 

I think what we're seeing is what we're going to get season in and season out no matter how long he's here:  A few close losses against good teams.. a few wins against good teams.. a few losses against bad teams.. a few wins against bad teams.  Season win average after ten years:  6 or 7. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, hagg said:

"Frost just needs more time." 

I think what we're seeing is what we're going to get season in and season out no matter how long he's here:  A few close losses against good teams.. a few wins against good teams.. a few losses against bad teams.. a few wins against bad teams.  Season win average after ten years:  6 or 7. 

To get to a yearly win average of 7, Nebraska would have to average 9 wins over the next 6 years.   I'm guessing most in the fan base would take that as long as we have a season or two better here and there.  

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

To get to a yearly win average of 7, Nebraska would have to average 9 wins over the next 6 years.   I'm guessing most in the fan base would take that as long as we have a season or two better here and there.  

You did (good) math.. I did none.  I meant that we're going to see 6 or 7 wins per year max from now on with him at the helm.  Poorly worded post. 

On 10/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Nebraska fans overrate the "big running back" and do it now as a replacement in the head for the old fullback position. Many older NU fans liked the fullbacks more than the I-back because the NU fullbacks were many times white, small-town Nebraskans while the I-back were black players from Omaha or other areas of the country. 

What a horrible take.

In '89, when I was introduced to Husker football as a wee lad, the I-back was Ken Clark. To me, he was a quintessential 'big back,' but he had speed and quickness, too. Leodis Flowers was a fairly big guy, too. After that? Derrick Brown. Not the biggest back in the world, but ran hard and could break tackles. Then, Calvin Jones. Definitely a big back, with very good speed. Ran over people ever other play. After Calvin came Lawrence Phillips, who was absolutely the total package. Size, moves, strength, and speed. Not just a big back per se, but pretty good size. Then came Ahman Green, who again was much more than a big back, but had incredible speed and balance. 

After Ahman, you might have a point, as DeAngelo Evans wasn't a big guy, but the next one, Buckhalter was definitely a big back. After that, we have Dan Alexander. BIG BACK. Then Dahrran Diedrich, a pretty big guy in his own right. The Devaney/Osborne/Solich years were literally filled with 'big backs,' because that's the type of player they recruited. 

Further, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. We like fullbacks because they're white? As in, most Nebraska fans prefer white guys to run the ball instead of any other race? Seriously? Willie Miller was a GREAT fullback for Nebraska, and he wasn't the only one that lined up back there that wasn't white. 

You may have a point that we cheer loudly for them because they're from small Nebraska towns, but why wouldn't we? You have guys like the Mackovickas from tiny 8-man schools who end up on national tv with millions of people watching - to me that's a pretty neat deal. We like the position because sometimes, they were kids from the farm, not real fast, but the hardest-working, hard-nosed, toughest kid on the field. A regular guy that worked hard sacrificed his body, and ended up on the field because of his blood, sweat, and tears. It's an example in sports of hard work paying off, and THAT'S what we respect here. Work ethic. We don't care about the color of their skin. That's asinine.

In 1993, I remember going to the Spring Game. It was quite a different deal back then; the stadium probably wasn't even halfway full. The loudest cheers, however, were for an upstart sophomore QB, you've probably heard of him. I was shocked at how loudly people screamed when this kid from Florida did anything with the football. He was an absolute rock star. 

So, you literally couldn't be more wrong.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 10/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, UniversalMartin said:

I like the all-red and all-white unis 

On 10/27/2021 at 9:22 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

The block “N” sucks. 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:49 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Lawrence Phillips was my favorite Husker player of all time. I cannot defend what he did to Kate McEwen, but for sheer player on the field, LP was and always be my favorite player.

Also, other than some great moments against Colorado, Brook Berringer wasn't all that great in 1994. He had a couple good games, but the defense and running game carried the team when he was the QB.

I agree with this 100%. It’s almost like we know each other……

• Haha 1