What’s your (unpopular) Husker hot take?

8 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Tom should have gone for 1

There are times in retrospect I wish they did, especially when I see Miami listed as the 1983 National Champion. I still resent the hell out of the fact that we had to play a road game. But I'm glad they did go for 2; in that era without overtime it made more sense, and the decision is what most people remember about the game.

I think my bigger issue is with the play call rather than the decision. When you rush for 500 yards a game, don't put your whole season on a pass play. For one, Miami said later that they scouted it. I watched one of the other games from that year on Youtube recently (Kansas maybe?) and Nebraska went for a 2 point PAT at one point and ran the exact same play as the failed 2 pointer in the Orange Bowl - successful in this case, but from that point on, it was on film.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Tom should have gone for 1

If Tom knew he was gonna go for 2 at 31-30, he should have gone for 2 at 31-23.  Cuz if he fails at 31-23, he could have tied it was 31-31 with another TD and 2-point conversion. Mathematically, that puts the percentages at 50% winning the game, 25% tie game, and 25% losing the game. Instead, Tom’s percentages were 50-50 win-loss. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

There are times in retrospect I wish they did, especially when I see Miami listed as the 1983 National Champion. I still resent the hell out of the fact that we had to play a road game. But I'm glad they did go for 2; in that era without overtime it made more sense, and the decision is what most people remember about the game.

I think my bigger issue is with the play call rather than the decision. When you rush for 500 yards a game, don't put your whole season on a pass play. For one, Miami said later that they scouted it. I watched one of the other games from that year on Youtube recently (Kansas maybe?) and Nebraska went for a 2 point PAT at one point and ran the exact same play as the failed 2 pointer in the Orange Bowl - successful in this case, but from that point on, it was on film.

Yes, I and pretty much everyone else values / admires the courage /character it took to go for 2 and that Tom is remembered well for going for 2.  Butttttt in the back of my   mind, I think that team deserved the NC - perhaps the best team to never have one it.  This after the 82 team got a NC stolen from them at PSU.   I agree, the play was suspect - yes Miami could have loaded the box to stop an option play, but a pass play doesn't spread out the defenders that much when everyone is crunched in the end zone.  Rosier was out of the game and maybe that had some consideration also.  "Ifs and Buts"

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Tom knew he was gonna go for 2 at 31-30, he should have gone for 2 at 31-23.  Cuz if he fails at 31-23, he could have tied it was 31-31 with another TD and 2-point conversion. Mathematically, that puts the percentages at 50% winning the game, 25% tie game, and 25% losing the game. Instead, Tom’s percentages were 50-50 win-loss. 

good point

• Oh Yeah! 1

The stadium atmosphere is BAD. 

I've been to about 8 P5 stadiums in the last two years in addition to ours and I could barely believe how bad the stadium experience is.

It's one of the quietest I've been to recently. Results matter, but there's no reason for it with 86k.

The music is also ridiculous. They'll play 8 seconds of three different songs back-to-back. It's totally discombobulating

42 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

The stadium atmosphere is BAD. 

I've been to about 8 P5 stadiums in the last two years in addition to ours and I could barely believe how bad the stadium experience is.

It's one of the quietest I've been to recently. Results matter, but there's no reason for it with 86k.

The music is also ridiculous. They'll play 8 seconds of three different songs back-to-back. It's totally discombobulating

Reason #1 - we aren't good at football

Reason #2 - 11 AM kickoffs (because we aren't good at football) which is a crime against college football in my opinion

Reason #3 - we aren't good at football

• Plus1 5