What’s your (unpopular) Husker hot take?

I agree with the take about Runza burgers. I've had just about every major chain burger out there and I'd put a Runza burger up there with some of the best.

The "Runza" itself is a$$, though. I hate that our fans market this to visitors as something to try. It's genuinely embarrassing and tastes awful.

For my other Husker hot take (and this might be unpopular, I don't know) - I don't think Nebraska will ever be a serious national title contender again. I think we caught lightning in a bottle with Osborne and optimized our advantages at the time. I think their ceiling would be rare CFP berths (assuming it doesn't expand to like... 16 teams or something).

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Enhance said:

I agree with the take about Runza burgers. I've had just about every major chain burger out there and I'd put a Runza burger up there with some of the best.

The "Runza" itself is a$$, though. I hate that our fans market this to visitors as something to try. It's genuinely embarrassing and tastes awful.

Pretty much this.  I never really ate at Runza growing up but my mom made them from scratch.  Hers were pretty good.  When I got to Lincoln, my (now) wife's family liked to eat at Runza so we'd go there from time to time.  I used to make fun of them for no one getting a Runza at Runza.  Now I never get a Runza there.

Also, I'm kind of an onion ring snob.  I either really like them or they're pretty bad, haven't found many in the middle.  Runza's are definitely on my good list.  Although I usually get FRings.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Mavric said:

Pretty much this.  I never really ate at Runza growing up but my mom made them from scratch.  Hers were pretty good.  When I got to Lincoln, my (now) wife's family liked to eat at Runza so we'd go there from time to time.  I used to make fun of them for no one getting a Runza at Runza.  Now I never get a Runza there.

Also, I'm kind of an onion ring snob.  I either really like them or they're pretty bad, haven't found many in the middle.  Runza's are definitely on my good list.  Although I usually get FRings.

Runzas we make at home are better than the ones from Runza.

FRings are the way to go.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can confirm that homemade Runzas (I think they're originally called pirog's, or something like that?) can be very, very good.

I think the problem with the Runza sandwich itself is just the texture/consistency. If the bread had a nice crunch to it, that would help. Every Runza I've ever had though is mostly soft/soggy.

• TBH 1

16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can confirm that homemade Runzas (I think they're originally called pirog's, or something like that?) can be very, very good.

I think the problem with the Runza sandwich itself is just the texture/consistency. If the bread had a nice crunch to it, that would help. Every Runza I've ever had though is mostly soft/soggy.

So much this.

• TBH 1
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Pierogi's are what I believe you are referring to.  They are polish dumplings and aren't made with bread.