What’s your (unpopular) Husker hot take?

On 3/9/2023 at 4:11 PM, admo said:

Ok you want a hot take, here's the truth.

It has been so long ago since we routinely played the former Big 8 / Big 12 teams that I have no hateful disdain for any of those teams.  

Even if this year we scheduled Oklahoma State, Kansas, Texas Tech as Non-Conf games for one season (insert any former conf team) it means no more to me than if we play anyone else.  

Now, if I was living in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, I may feel different.  As a Texan, I don't have any hate towards UT or A&M or OU at all.  None.  Zero.

I actually watch their games if they are on and enjoy it.  

Yep.

• Oh Yeah! 1

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I don't think it's all that silly.  I don't see why you can't be interested in more than one team.  

I'll root for the Huskers in whatever game they play.  But I have other teams that I also like.  Especially in college basketball because it's fun to actually have someone to cheer for in March.  I don't follow anyone else nearly as closely as the Huskers but I definitely have a couple other teams that I root for, as long as they're not playing Nebraska.

Agreed, and as long as they aren't a direct rival to Nebraska. 

I worked at K-State. I still can't stomach them. Funny story, I was walking into work one day and Coach Snyder & President Wefald were having coffee like they did every day. I had on all my Husker gear and Wefald calls me over to the table. He said " I appreciate your fanhood for Nebraska. but since you work here, maybe you could tone it down a little". I looked at him and said " as far as I know it's still a free country and I'll keep wearing my gear". Snyder laughed and said " Now that's a real fan!". Coach Snyder is a good guy but the fan base leaves alot to be desired.

• Thanks 1
On 3/12/2023 at 6:58 PM, Mavric said:

Eh, I don't think it's all that silly.  I don't see why you can't be interested in more than one team.  

I'll root for the Huskers in whatever game they play.  But I have other teams that I also like.  Especially in college basketball because it's fun to actually have someone to cheer for in March.  I don't follow anyone else nearly as closely as the Huskers but I definitely have a couple other teams that I root for, as long as they're not playing Nebraska.

JAYSKER ALERT JAYSKER ALERT JAYSKER ALERT

• Haha 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, Cornbred said:

I worked at K-State. I still can't stomach them. Funny story, I was walking into work one day and Coach Snyder & President Wefald were having coffee like they did every day. I had on all my Husker gear and Wefald calls me over to the table. He said " I appreciate your fanhood for Nebraska. but since you work here, maybe you could tone it down a little". I looked at him and said " as far as I know it's still a free country and I'll keep wearing my gear". Snyder laughed and said " Now that's a real fan!". Coach Snyder is a good guy but the fan base leaves alot to be desired.

How much Husker stuff did you have on??

Like, Husker pants and Husker shoes?

Funny stuff. 

But, a-HEM.. the Husker Hot Take That Everybody Will Click The Laughy Emoji Thingy And Quote You To Make Fun Of You subject:  This season he'll uncork 7 wins (maybe just 6) and struggle later on with the "Dig Me/Pay Me Because I'm Great Plus Handsome And Stuff" and the transfer drain pipe.  The hope is some sort of Husker Loyalty will at some point overcome that.. that's my hope anyway. 

3 hours ago, Hagg said:

Funny stuff. 

But, a-HEM.. the Husker Hot Take That Everybody Will Click The Laughy Emoji Thingy And Quote You To Make Fun Of You subject:  This season he'll uncork 7 wins (maybe just 6) and struggle later on with the "Dig Me/Pay Me Because I'm Great Plus Handsome And Stuff" and the transfer drain pipe.  The hope is some sort of Husker Loyalty will at some point overcome that.. that's my hope anyway. 

If you really care to know...

I did not "Click The Laughy Emoji Thingy".

I just have no clue what you are talking about.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

If you really care to know...

I did not "Click The Laughy Emoji Thingy".

I just have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm worried about this NIL thing wrecking school loyalty (not much left of that anyway, over time), along with the ease of use of the transfer portal.  Some kids are taking off to other schools because they are 2nd string, etc.  That is making it harder for fans to have confidence in the team. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hagg said:

I'm worried about this NIL thing wrecking school loyalty (not much left of that anyway, over time), along with the ease of use of the transfer portal.  Some kids are taking off to other schools because they are 2nd string, etc.  That is making it harder for fans to have confidence in the team. 

Agreed. Thanks for clarifying.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hagg said:

I agree with this.  When the season ends, fans really don't know who is going to be with the team the next season.  Heck, there are starters that are transferring even.  So, it's difficult to become a fan of a player.

It's even worse in basketball. 

• TBH 2
2 hours ago, Hagg said:

I think what we are really seeing is just how many kids have wanted to transfer for years and years, but basically felt like they couldn't. 

I know we love to romanticize the "Stick with it" and "don't quit on your team" cliches, but you have 4-5 years to play and then it is gone, pretty much forever. 

Imagine you start your career and you are told you only have 5 years to make the best of it and you can't leave and the people that started there before you are "better" than you.  We would freak out.

You don't get that time back, it is gone forever.  Does it mean it will work out better at a new school, maybe/maybe not.  But to not have the option is just not right.

When Joey Student starts at UNL and realizes that he doesn't like it, he can just up and transfer.  I agree with you about the school loyalty, that is changing for sure, big time.  But most of these players are not fans of the school first, they are fans of the opportunity. 

• TBH 2