Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

More than that Hedley, I wish the solution was that simple.  Keep in mind that the situation is not static entering 2022, but rather a dynamic one.

The problems we are seeking to fix today may pale in comparison to the ones we are soon to face in 2022.  Namely attrition through graduation of "Super Seniors" on the defensive side of the ball.  Chins is a hero to the optimists today, and rightfully so, but will soon be a villain in 2022 as he will be the scapegoat when the team wins 4 or 5 games against a lesser schedule.  

Let's also save the discussion of 2021 termination until November, 2022.  

There is good depth and talent in the waiting.  One of the reasons we can be thankful for the super seniors is it gives the next guys up more time to develop.

With Williams being out, we'll get to see a couple of them get some important game time now.

Remember, Farmer had picks in one game last season.

The cupboard is no longer bare 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, admo said:

I don't think we understand each other.  Season ends, HCSF terminates a few coaches.  Great.  Let's find someone better, with more experience.  The heat is on frost to win next year or it's over.

I would imagine P5 coaching prospects would say his offer -  "no thanks, I'm not leaving my job for the risk of one and done season, because it's possible"

No, I get what you’re saying.   I just don’t think this candidate knows the heat is on.  Or if you’re a P5 coach, the heat is always on, isn’t it?  

Anyway, Frost and Trev would approach their top pick something like “ we are finally turning this thing around, but just need a better (insert room) to get us where we want to be and we think you’re the right guy.  Oh and we’ll pay you $200K more than you currently make.”   Nebraska still looks good on resumes.   

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, admo said:

In the minority here, but I don't want another coaching change.  Frost should stick around for several more years.  Keep working, make some adjustments if need be, and learn from mistakes.  Team will look different in the next few years (different players).  A lot of the hard working players have been major contributors for 3 to 4 years.  I still think we can win here with Frost.  And when we do, it's going to feel great.  More patience. More continuity.  Get the lines bigger and stronger and build something great.

I am really sick of coaching changes and the 1--3 year waiting period with hot seat talk.

This probably best describes my feeling right now. I kinda almost don't care if Frost & Co are the wrong coaches and they have another few years of failure. I'm sick of the carousel. Let's just have some stability for a while.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There is good depth and talent in the waiting.  One of the reasons we can be thankful for the super seniors is it gives the next guys up more time to develop.

With Williams being out, we'll get to see a couple of them get some important game time now.

Remember, Farmer had picks in one game last season.

The cupboard is no longer bare 

I was not calling into question the personnel or our depth of talent, but rather our capacity to coach that talent.

6th Year Seniors have a weight of game experience that they can rely on to guide instincts.  This is a huge advantage that can far outweigh a coaches scheme.

That game experience will certainly be missed and not easily replaced...

18 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yes I think he should be retained.

Get the right side of that line fixed.  Improve red zone efficiency alone and one score losses are wins.

Yea I agree.  To me the the reality is that HCSF was not ready for a major conference job when he took the job, he just didn't have enough experience and skills yet.   That is now evident in hindsight.

In a somewhat raw deal for Nebraska so far, Frost has been conducting on the job training over the last few years.

So now, Nebraska has already put in an investment to train HCSF.  I don't think firing HCSF at this point would lead to a better situation than keeping him for the next couple years.  I lean to keeping him to go for the high ceiling I still think Scott Frost has as a coach.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

No, I get what you’re saying.   I just don’t think this candidate knows the heat is on.  Or if you’re a P5 coach, the heat is always on, isn’t it?  

Anyway, Frost and Trev would approach their top pick something like “ we are finally turning this thing around, but just need a better (insert room) to get us where we want to be and we think you’re the right guy.  Oh and we’ll pay you $200K more than you currently make.”   Nebraska still looks good on resumes.   

I think everybody across college football knows the heat is pretty high.  But, ok if your scenario could happen, that would be great.  Because I've never been on board with the OL & RB guys.  Even though they are nice and likeable coaches, they haven't produced good results at all. 

4 minutes ago, observer3 said:

So now, Nebraska has already put in an investment to train HCSF.  I don't think firing HCSF at this point would lead to a better situation than keeping him for the next couple years.  I lean to keeping him to go for the high ceiling I still think Scott Frost has as a coach.

On the flip side, if we land a proven P5 guy who has already conquered the learning curve and can generate some excitement for the current payers and recruits, then we'd be ahead.  Based on this year, Scott still has some learning to do. 

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

On the flip side, if we land a proven P5 guy who has already conquered the learning curve and can generate some excitement for the current payers and recruits, then we'd be ahead.  Based on this year, Scott still has some learning to do. 

Who would hire Frost if he was let go? Do we think a "lesser" P5 school gives him the keys to their football program? Nope. He may go into a rehabilitation program with a Saban etc or get a lower tier FBS gig in CUSA, MWC, AAC, SBC. 

• Plus1 1

I'm see it the same as I did before the first game. You evaluate at the end of the season. I'm not a fan of firings during the season unless there are extenuating circumstances. That being said, with the way things have gone to this point I would hope some ground work is being done behind the scenes if the season continues to play out the way it has begun.

I would have thought that if Trev was 100% in on Frost regardless of what happens the last 4 games he would have voiced his continuing support regardless of the outcome. But we haven't heard anything since the season started.

On the fire Frost side of the fence the last couple weeks.  Wouldn't say my mind's made up though.   3 wins and a bowl game would change it, I'm sure.  

7-6, going into next season with some momentum would be intriguing.   5-7, missing out on those bowl practices again while recruiting is nose diving would be alarming.

2 hours ago, admo said:

I don't think we understand each other.  Season ends, HCSF terminates a few coaches.  Great.  Let's find someone better, with more experience.  The heat is on frost to win next year or it's over.

I would imagine P5 coaching prospects would say his offer -  "no thanks, I'm not leaving my job for the risk of one and done season, because it's possible"

I am at bowl or bust.  I'm sadly betting bust.  No reason in year 4, we shouldn't be at .500.  None.....Regardless of players miscues, assignments, whatever, this IS Frost's team. His guys, scheme and culture.  And in year 4, it is still losing.....

Part of my reason is based on what @admoand others have said.  Who would come here knowing another sub .500 season and Frost AND new staff are gone. No thanks.  And in the thread concerning guys who got above .500 after 4 years were Cutcliff and Schiano.  Like a a whopping .504....So the chance of Frost turning things around in year 5 is basically 0......So I do not think we get anyone who could move the recruit meter or the W meter.  

I want Frost to win.  I do not think he can.  Time to move on.  Start the search again.  No other P5 team would even be having this conversation....If we go bowling, I will admit I was wrong and Frost and Co get all the credit.  They were able to quiet the noise and ball out when it mattered the most.

I will also say that in 2019, I was confident we wouldn't know what we really had with Frost until 2022.  I truly did not think we would still be losing in year 4 though.  Part of my outlook is pure frustration.

• Plus1 1