Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

7-6, going into next season with some momentum would be intriguing.   5-7, missing out on those bowl practices again while recruiting is nose diving would be alarming.

I still don't understand why the team opted out of a bowl game last year?  

Is there any positive way to view it?  Might have made a real difference getting more ready to play this year. 

Just imagine if the team had won at Illinois to get some momentum.  /broken record

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

More than that Hedley, I wish the solution was that simple.  Keep in mind that the situation is not static entering 2022, but rather a dynamic one.

The problems we are seeking to fix today may pale in comparison to the ones we are soon to face in 2022.  Namely attrition through graduation of "Super Seniors" on the defensive side of the ball.  Chins is a hero to the optimists today, and rightfully so, but will soon be a villain in 2022 as he will be the scapegoat when the team wins 4 or 5 games against a lesser schedule.  

Let's also save the discussion of 2021 termination until November, 2022.  

Honestly, the only one im going to truly miss is domann, guys a gamer and will sorely be missed.  Stille has been sound but replaceable and maybe i'm in the minority on this, but I think our secondary is beyond overrated.  too soft of coverage for my liking and sure they lay the lumber every now and then but we too often we make 2nd and 3rd string QBs look like starters with career days against our defense

6 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Is there any positive way to view it?  Might have made a real difference getting more ready to play this year. 

Just imagine if the team had won at Illinois to get some momentum.  /broken record

I don’t understand why they opted out either, but at the time I was glad they did. The way they looked towards the end of the season, I really believe doing more of whatever it is they had been doing would’ve caused more harm than good. Really. Probably best for all of them (players and coaches) to step away.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, observer3 said:

I never heard what the logic behind the decision was.  It's what made me question if the team had any desire to make a bowl game coming into this season.  And it seems a sizable portion of the fanbase doesn't care about making a bowl game anymore either.

Strange time to be a Husker fan.

Whoever the next coach is needs to understand the importance of division games in the era of super conferences.  It's bewildering the team can't get up for Illinois or Minnesota knowing division wins are effectively worth 2 wins.   We should care way more about beating Illinois and Minnesota than we care about beating Oklahoma or the Michigans.  It seems we sold out to compete in games of lesser importance in terms of the divisional race.

We'd be in a vastly different position this year if we were undefeated in the division.   We'd control our own destiny in the divisional race and we'd be one dub away from making a bowl appearance. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Honestly, the only one im going to truly miss is domann, guys a gamer and will sorely be missed.  Stille has been sound but replaceable and maybe i'm in the minority on this, but I think our secondary is beyond overrated.  too soft of coverage for my liking and sure they lay the lumber every now and then but we too often we make 2nd and 3rd string QBs look like starters with career days against our defense

I agree on the secondary but I would blame the scheme more than the players maybe. If Chins wants them pressing more, he needs to make sure they play tighter. I’m no expert but it looks like designed 2 ply soft coverage to me. Of course that is ignoring the times they've just flat out got beat.

12 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

do we expect the guys who havent been able to start over these guys to be an improvement? 

17 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Generally known that the defense wanted to play in a bowl and the offense didn't.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

do we expect the guys who havent been able to start over these guys to be an improvement? 

C’mon Hedley. You know that’s how it works. Every year we lose seniors, the older, more experienced, better players. There’s plenty of s#!t to complain about but we don’t need to be complaining about inevitable turnover. It should be assumed that the replacements will improve with time and experience. Not really fair to complain that they’re not good enough to start now.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree on the secondary but I would blame the scheme more than the players maybe. If Chins wants them pressing more, he needs to make sure they play tighter. I’m no expert but it looks like designed 2 ply soft coverage to me. Of course that is ignoring the times they've just flat out got beat.

Yep, def scheme and prolly equally due to not having a legit pass rusher since Randy?  Pressuring the QB with only 4 consistently is such a luxury that i miss in this game

13 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Fair point.  Honestly tho, i have no f'n clue what criteria this staff uses to put the best talent on the field.  Put up with enough dropped balls by our "captain" kade warner starting over clearly more talented options that eliminated my trust in this staff putting the best possible team out there.  

Sounds dumb and basic but I could very easily see a situation where frosty and chins essentially guarantee starting points for some of these seniors that returned.  

Just now, gossamorharpy said:

Yep, def scheme and prolly equally due to not having a legit pass rusher since Randy?  Pressuring the QB with only 4 consistently is such a luxury that i miss in this game

Yessir. The lack of any effective pass rush is a huge issue directly translating to secondary performance.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

C’mon Hedley. You know that’s how it works. Every year we lose seniors, the older, more experienced, better players. There’s plenty of s#!t to complain about but we don’t need to be complaining about inevitable turnover. It should be assumed that the replacements will improve with time and experience. Not really fair to complain that they’re not good enough to start now.

Correct but in year 4 with all of our returning experience we are looking at another losing season. What's going to happen when we have to rebuild? 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Fair point.  Honestly tho, i have no f'n clue what criteria this staff uses to put the best talent on the field.  Put up with enough dropped balls by our "captain" kade warner starting over clearly more talented options that eliminated my trust in this staff putting the best possible team out there.  

Sounds dumb and basic but I could very easily see a situation where frosty and chins essentially guarantee starting points for some of these seniors that returned.  

I dont disagree with you. I simply have no belief left in this staff as a whole. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1