Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Went with 1 more year. I think that idea provides the opportunity for extremely clear communication to Frost on "this is what needs to happen to keep your job." Frost either makes the necessary changes and it occurs or he does not and he is gone. This scenario buys the University good will in the court of public opinion, in that you would be hard pressed to find pundits that would claim Nebraska is not patient, potential coaches would see the job through a more positive optic lense...worse case for fans is we have one more year of this, which at the end of the day, we have grown use to.

• Plus1 2

Evaluations likely have been going on, but definitely want to let the season play out.  

Could also see the scenario play out where there is a resignation instead of a firing.  If this happens, then terms have likely already been agreed upon.  The next one up may already have been determined.

Mostly, other than knowing what’s being done isn’t working, I really don’t know what to think anymore.  

• Plus1 1

I'd definitely love for Frost to be the guy, but I don't know if he is (or if his staff is). One thing that sticks with me about the team is development of players and I don't feel like we've seen a lot of progress overall since he's been the HC. For example, I don't feel like Adrian Martinez has gotten better with his experience and coaching so is that on the QB coach or is he simply at his ceiling? I tend to equate Frost to Gus Malzahn in that he doesn't seem to develop the players we have over their time in the program. If you watch Auburn at all, for example, you'll probably notice that Bo Nix doesn't look any better than he did his first year at Auburn and I think that is a huge key to winning that we don't seem to have in the last few years. 

All of that said, if we were to go 6-6 this season and finish strong with a bowl game, I'd like to see Frost get his 5th year but maybe shake up the staff where it's needed. 

• Plus1 1

I am in the Option 4 camp.  I have reached my conclusions on this staff following nearly 4 years of results.  However, I think for reasons completely unrelated to job performance that this staff will indeed receive a 5th Year.  

I will also reaffirm my position that it is too late for the Head Coach to make any staff changes.  Exercising that option at this stage is merely an effort to rationalize poor results in Year 5 (as the result of "transition").

For those that are fiercely loyal and sentimental towards this Head Coach, I completely understand why you are reluctant to let go.  Just understand that his departure will likely happen at the end of 2022 and it is time to prepare for that.  This is simply a 1 year reprieve from the coaching carousel.  

• Plus1 1

Mr. Pernell's article ended with "You can't spin 3-9 or 4-8 as progress in Year 4 of a coaching regime.." 

So, in agreement, I'd say if Frost can't eek out two wins in the next four games he's at least "evaluated" and likely toast.  If he wins out or gets three?  'Evaluation" time with an eye toward his first 4 games next season.

Just going to point this out.

Huskers have 4 losses to teams with win % of (.931) - 27-2 combined record.
Huskers average margin of defeat to those teams is 5 points.

Illinois is a head scratcher.

In the next 4 games you expect the Huskers to grab 2-3 wins, for HCSF to keep his job?

The winning % of those opponents is (.714%) - 20-8 combined record. 

Two of those teams are ranked in the top 15.  One team just dropped out of top 25.  And one game is on the road at Wisconsin.

I know we want more wins and bowl games.  But this talk of firing HCSF?  Dang, some of yall are savages

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I would agree.  There really have been 2-3 people pushing the majority of the negative stuff over the past 10 days.  This poll shows what I thought was the case- most still want to see Frost succeed here.  

It's a pretty big spectrum. Everyone wants - or wanted - Frost to succeed. But the negative stuff isn't exactly trolling, either. Frost's comparison to his coaching peers is sobering, and the Hot Seat speculation comes with every HC job worth having. Nebraska fans, donors, and administrators are hardly alone in their concern. 

So my mind is made up and I'm waiting to see at the same time. 

Two wins and two hard fought losses and we have a template for moving forward.

Keep finding new ways to lose and I think we have a coaching staff that is letting the players down, not the other way around. 

But that's why they play the games. I'll be watching and rooting for the Huskers like always. 

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, admo said:

In the next 4 games you expect the Huskers to grab 2-3 wins, for HCSF to keep his job?

Two of those teams are ranked in the top 15.  One team just dropped out of top 25.  And one game is on the road at Wisconsin.

I know we want more wins and bowl games.  But this talk of firing HCSF?  Dang, some of yall are savages

I don't know. If you traveled back to 2017 and told Husker fans not to expect more than four wins in Scott Frost's fourth year because so many other teams are better, I don't think you'd get a lot of sympathy. 

• Plus1 5
37 minutes ago, admo said:

So you think winning 5 games in year 4 is too high of a bar to clear. 

yikes-jim-halpert.gif

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, admo said:

No it wasn't.

The Illinois game was the same $h!t we saw in the previous 3 seasons, and it is the same $h!t we have seen in the past two months. Sometimes these performances have been against top 10 teams, sometimes they have been against crap teams. But we always find new ways to make dumb mistakes and we never close the deal. We've lost more games in this exact manner than we have won in any manner. And every time we find ourselves in a "must win game" or "the most important game of Frost's career" or "chance to make a big statement," we fail. Every. Damn. Time. 

The Illinois game is not a head scratcher, it is the norm. In fact, the Illinois game is the quintessential Scott Frost coached game at Nebraska.

• Plus1 8
6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

No it wasn't.

The Illinois game was the same $h!t we saw in the previous 3 seasons, and it is the same $h!t we have seen in the past two months. Sometimes these performances have been against top 10 teams, sometimes they have been against crap teams. But we always find new ways to make dumb mistakes and we never close the deal. We've lost more games in this exact manner than we have won in any manner. And every time we find ourselves in a "must win game" or "the most important game of Frost's career" or "chance to make a big statement," we fail. Every. Damn. Time. 

The Illinois game is not a head scratcher, it is the norm. In fact, the Illinois game is the quintessential Scott Frost coached game at Nebraska.

Yeah...the blowouts under Pelini and Riley.  I miss those days.

• Plus1 2