If you were Trev - Who Would you Choose -New Coach Poll

TGHusker

Which Coach should Trev pick to replace Scott Frost  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The article, copied below from  a post I made on the "Why Frost should stay" thread, has convinced me that regardless of how Scott finishes the last 4 games, it is time to move on.  Too many issues from discipline, player selection, recruitment ad nauseum.  I don't envy Trev - He's in the middle of a big building program while being on the job for only months and now having to make a big decision about the cash cow under his management.  No Fun.  

So, I went though most of the pages of the "Serious Search for Coach' thread to pick out the names thrown out by many of us as potential candidates.  I thought it would be good to get the 'pulse of Husker (Board) nation"(sorry ADAM CARRIKER for stealing your line) and see who would be the leading candidate if Trev decided to ask us our opinion. I KNOW he is waiting with an open mind for our counsel and help here - so choose well.:D

About the Poll: 

Because of the poll set up of allowing only 3 questions and 15 answers per question,  I have spread the list over 2 questions.  If your pick(s) aren't in the first section you will still need to place a vote under "see group 2"  as each question will need to be answered to be able to close out your voting.   

Since I like the idea of 'rank voting' in politics, I've allowed for multiple votes - but please limit it to your 1st and 2nd choice - just 2 votes. And remember to select 'see other group' if your 2 votes are in group 1 or group 2.  

The more I look at the list - I find it very difficult to choose a # 1.

The names are listed in alpha order based on last name   

After the coach's name is the organization they are associated with and in some cases past organizations (NFL, College)

I intentionally left off unrealistic names like Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer,  Bud Grant (RIP), Bill Belichick, Frank Solich, Tom Osborne, and any unproven former Husker players / coach (other than Zac Taylor who is a proven coach)

Finally I added one question asking  - based on what you know now - should Frost be retained.? Try to avoid the 3rd answer if possible unless that is your true honest answer.  

This is the article that summed it up for me and made me feel that it is time to move on.  I don't see 4-0 or 3-1 as happening.  2-2 won't be enough to overcome the issues as noted in the article. My feelings are - lets cherish and honor Scott for the great player that he was. He is one of us and always will be.  But lets also honor and cherish our program by moving on in a new direction in 2022.  

A definitive arrival as to why Frost should NOT be given another season.  This spells it out clearly 

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/jeremy-pernell-does-scott-frost-deserve-a-fifth-season-at-nebraska

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to If you were Trev - Who Would you Choose -New Coach Poll

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The article, copied below from  a post I made on the "Why Frost should stay" thread, has convinced me that regardless of how Scott finishes the last 4 games, it is time to move on.  Too many issues from discipline, player selection, recruitment ad nauseum.  I don't envy Trev - He's in the middle of a big building program while being on the job for only months and now having to make a big decision about the cash cow under his management.  No Fun.  

So, I went though most of the pages of the "Serious Search for Coach' thread to pick out the names thrown out by many of us as potential candidates.  I thought it would be good to get the 'pulse of Husker (Board) nation"(sorry ADAM CARRIKER for stealing your line) and see who would be the leading candidate if Trev decided to ask us our opinion. I KNOW he is waiting with an open mind for our counsel and help here - so choose well.:D

About the Poll: 

Because of the poll set up of allowing only 3 questions and 15 answers per question,  I have spread the list over 2 questions.  If your pick(s) aren't in the first section you will still need to place a vote under "see group 2"  as each question will need to be answered to be able to close out your voting.   

Since I like the idea of 'rank voting' in politics, I've allowed for multiple votes - but please limit it to your 1st and 2nd choice - just 2 votes. And remember to select 'see other group' if your 2 votes are in group 1 or group 2.  

The more I look at the list - I find it very difficult to choose a # 1.

The names are listed in alpha order based on last name   

After the coach's name is the organization they are associated with and in some cases past organizations (NFL, College)

I intentionally left off unrealistic names like Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer,  Bud Grant (RIP), Bill Belichick, Frank Solich, Tom Osborne, and any unproven former Husker players / coach (other than Zac Taylor who is a proven coach)

Finally I added one question asking  - based on what you know now - should Frost be retained.? Try to avoid the 3rd answer if possible unless that is your true honest answer.  

This is the article that summed it up for me and made me feel that it is time to move on.  I don't see 4-0 or 3-1 as happening.  2-2 won't be enough to overcome the issues as noted in the article. My feelings are - lets cherish and honor Scott for the great player that he was. He is one of us and always will be.  But lets also honor and cherish our program by moving on in a new direction in 2022.  

LMAO at Luke McCaffery a "cornerstone player." Lost me right there.

• Plus1 5
Just now, TheSker said:

Yeah, it's probably the most "vicious" opinion piece that can be found regarding Frost....so a few will like it.

But yeah, a Pernell opinion.....meh.

I'll add the use of stats that span Frost's whole tenure is being done to intentionally undermine the progress we have seen this year. Perfect stat to explain. "Frost loses to ranked opponents by an average of 16 points per game across four years."

Well damn straight. The team was a dumpster fire when he got here. Minnesota was blowing us out. Wait, that number is less than half that this year? Should we use that stat? Recent results that show considerable improvement? Heck no! We want to paint as ugly picture as we can. Use 4 year old stats from when we had Andrew Bunch starting at quarterback, a mash unit oline, and a defense that couldn't tackle a toddler. - Yeah man, that's the stuff that matters.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I'll add the use of stats that span Frost's whole tenure is being done to intentionally undermine the progress we have seen this year. Perfect stat to explain. "Frost loses to ranked opponents by an average of 16 points per game across four years."

Well damn straight. The team was a dumpster fire when he got here. Minnesota was blowing us out. Wait, that number is less than half that this year? Should we use that stat? Recent results that show considerable improvement? Heck no! We want to paint as ugly picture as we can. Use 4 year old stats from when we had Andrew Bunch starting at quarterback, a mash unit oline, and a defense that couldn't tackle a toddler. - Yeah man, that's the stuff that matters.

Ya, that is where the article lost me. It only talks about all 4 years lumped together, not broken out at all by year which doesn't lend credence to the entire point it is trying to make which is that Scott is spinning his wheels. We are top 50 in turnovers lost this year which includes an extra game over many teams,  but he rails on the turnover rate over the duration. We are much improved but that doesn't fit his narrative so he instead packages it to look super negative. He does that throughout the article.. It's a lazy hit piece, nothing more. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Waiting is really the only option. I think 2-2 or better you give him another shot. More importantly that's probably 2-1 against Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa. 1-3, or 0-4 it's time to cut bait. At the end of the day, my barometer is where are we compared to the 6 teams we play every year - all of our goals go through those 6 teams. 2018: 2-4  2019: 2-4   2020: 1-4  2021: 1-5 OR 2-4. If we are consistently losing to Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota - and trading punches with Purdue, NW and Illinois - that is not progress, and that gets us no closer to any of our goals. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Waiting is really the only option. I think 2-2 or better you give him another shot. More importantly that's probably 2-1 against Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa. 1-3, or 0-4 it's time to cut bait. At the end of the day, my barometer is where are we compared to the 6 teams we play every year - all of our goals go through those 6 teams. 2018: 2-4  2019: 2-4   2020: 1-4  2021: 1-5 OR 2-4. If we are consistently losing to Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota - and trading punches with Purdue, NW and Illinois - that is not progress, and that gets us no closer to any of our goals. 

All valid points.

I'm projecting what I think will happen in the next four games.  I'm sorry, I've become a Debbie Downer and voted for the option that he shouldn't be retained.   Past performance is a predictor of the future unless something drastic happens.   I do acknowledge there has been progress made but this is year 4 and I don't see more than one more win in the forecast.  I was a Frost believer until the Illinois game this year.  I then got the courage to drink some kool aid after Michigan and now I'm only on sour lemon aide.   I really do hope Frost proves me wrong - I'd love to see the turn around but the realist part of me says it isn't going to happen. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

All valid points.

I'm projecting what I think will happen in the next four games.  I'm sorry, I've become a Debbie Downer and voted for the option that he shouldn't be retained.   Past performance is a predictor of the future unless something drastic happens.   I do acknowledge there has been progress made but this is year 4 and I don't see more than one more win in the forecast.  I was a Frost believer until the Illinois game this year.  I then got the courage to drink some kool aid after Michigan and now I'm only on sour lemon aide.   I really do hope Frost proves me wrong - I'd love to see the turn around but the realist part of me says it isn't going to happen. 

I think you're doing what everyone else is doing. People that say he should be fired are assuming the worst. People that say he should be retained are assuming 2+ wins down the stretch. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 with blowout losses to Iowa and OSU - just about everyone will understand a move has to be made. If we beat Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin - just about everyone will see the progress. Just have to let it play out!

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think you're doing what everyone else is doing. People that say he should be fired are assuming the worst. People that say he should be retained are assuming 2+ wins down the stretch. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 with blowout losses to Iowa and OSU - just about everyone will understand a move has to be made. If we beat Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin - just about everyone will see the progress. Just have to let it play out!

Yes, at this point it is hard to say with absolute certainty that he should be retained or fire. And I think all of us have the emotional connection to Frost that it is hard to make that hard decision. We all wanted him to succeed more than any coach since Frank.  I remember a T- shirt that looked like this:

Devaney

Osborne

Solich

some other guys

Frost

Frost is one of us just as much as those other 3.  We all share the DNA & same love for the program.   If I had my way, I wish this wasn't a discussion point and that we were talking about how well we'll do in the upcoming Big 10 championship game.  But dreams die hard.   But based on what has transpired during all four years and also taking in the progress seen this year I had to go with what I know now and vote not retain him. 

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

4 games left people.  If we go 0-4, then it's a real discussion.  Until then, I wouldn't worry much about if he'll be retained or not yet.

With the early start to the season and another game against BYE yet to play, this season feels like it's taken forever to complete. 

• Plus1 1