What did we learn from the Purdue game

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I hate hate hate hate that this isn't going to work under Frost. Hate it.

Aside from the nostalgia being nice, I'm indifferent.

He'll latch on fine as an OC somewhere which is probably what he's best at at this point.

I welcome someone completely divorced from the Osborne days who can treat this like any other bad program that needs rebuilt from scratch rather than carrying all the expectations that come with the TO era.

• Plus1 2

The D played well.  Hard to be all gas and no brake when the O leaves you to hang out to dry....

Punter and kicker did well

I think the D is sick and tired of the O crapping the bed game in and game out

I have no idea how we can be 5-18 (0-6 this season) in one score games

No idea how you keep Frost after this.  He has no answers to fix what is wrong.  None

Play calling sucks

Sadly, no bowl.  Again. At least we can enjoy Jessica, the Sock Puppet and Bo's aquarium guy let us know what's up w/the coaching search.  And start tracking flights again......

At least I can still watch 3 more games this year.....

• Oh Yeah! 2

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

You are delusional.  We are only 1-2 players away.  :-)  I hope more see how stupid of a view that is.

There is absolutely no way in hell that the one poster that post that stupid response in every thread will ever comprehend how it is way bigger that a RT and pass rusher or whatever rhetorical crap he types

• Thanks 2

Scott hitched his career to a QB that cannot get it done.  

We cannot continue to rely on an improved defense to shut teams down for the 43 minutes their O is on the field.

We do not have an elite pass rusher.  And we lose our better ones for next year.

It's just pathetically sad.  If Scott could've succeeded we'd have had him for a long time.  His loyalty and pride to poor coaches and players was worth more to him than results.  Verdu, Coach Austin, 2AM...all needed ousted.  Bad bad bad.  Frost's lack of attention to details, lack of ST focus, inability to make the right calls at key moments...it's just a gumbo of failure.

Just sad.  

• Plus1 6

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

Scott hitched his career to a QB that cannot get it done.  

We cannot continue to rely on an improved defense to shut teams down for the 43 minutes they O is on the field.

We do not have an elite pass rusher.  And we lose our better ones for next year.

It's just pathetically sad.  If Scott could've succeeded we'd have had him for a long time.  His loyalty and pride to poor coaches and players was worth more to him than results.  Verdu, Coach Austin, 2AM...all needed ousted.  Bad bad bad.  Frost's lack of attention to details, lack of ST focus, inability to make the right calls at key moments...it's just a gumbo of failure.

Just sad.  

I'll throw in Held.  And why do we have two HUGE TE's that are never targets in the red zone and we never run 12 personnel....Our entire O staff is horrific at best. If I was Beckton, I'd leave for a place that actually knew how to use all of the talent I was developing in the TE room....Frost is on over his head.  I do not want a staff change. He just needs to move on.

Jamey Chadwell is, for me, the coaching equivalent of a backup QB sitting behind a struggling starter at this point.  Bring him in, what could it hurt?

I think the question of who we'd hire to replace Frost if we fired him is easier to answer than the question of who'd hire him if we fired him.  He might be alright going back to a non-P5 school, but I can't drink the "we're almost there" kool-aid anymore.  Frost is in over his head.

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

You are delusional.  We are only 1-2 players away.  :-)  I hope more see how stupid of a view that is.

We're far more than just 1-2 players away.

We need a starting pass rusher and a serviceable backup (2)

We need a starting quarterback and a reliable backup (another 2) 

We need two new O-Tackles, and serviceable backups (Another 4) because neither Benhard nor Corcoran are performing. 

On top of all of that, we need reliable replacements for all the superseniors that leave at the end of the season. (Another 8ish).

That's at least 16. Now, if I remember correctly, we have 17 open scholarship slots. A good coach will have all of those replacements lined up and committed, either Freshmen or JC transfers. Guys who are ready to step in and play right away. Granted, I haven't been following recruiting very closely this year, but it seems that the current class does not meet that requirement. 

I'd been a believer in Frost. I thought he would get it together. I'd hoped that, with the brutal schedule this year, he'd be able to get us to 7-5 or 8-4, a good bowl game, and momentum into year 5. That just isn't happening. He's tied his wagon to Martinez, and 2AM, for all his talent, chokes in big moments and is far too prone to make mistakes to be an effective QB. 

Now, maybe, MAYBE if Frost plays Smothers or Haarberg (who I believe has better upside) and the team manages to upset OSU and win out, and get a bowl game, I'd be willing to give him another year. 

I just don't see that happening.

The big sticking point, however, is the contract buyout. 20 million isn't a small amount of money. It's possible Alberts could use the illegal special teams practices as an excuse to get out of that buyout. 

If Frost doesn't get a bowl game, if he continues to stick with 2AM, if he can't make necessary changes, he needs to be replaced. Alberts, if he was smart, would already be putting feelers out to potential replacements. Chadwell, from Coastal Carolina, because he has a proven record of building up programs and runs a system I like, tops my list.

But I'm just a dude on a forum board, what the hell do I know. 

• Crusader Husker changed the title to What did we learn from the Purdue game