What did we learn from the Purdue game

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought Rahmir and Yant were both running well in the first half, and Frost went away from the run game way too quickly.  He let's one negative carry stick in his mind too much and is too hesitant to go back to the RB run game.

Yeah. It's just flat out bad coaching.

And like always, Martinez will take the vast majority of the blame. Obviously he had a bad game...but in my opinion poor coaching put him that spot.

We should have been running the ball more in the third quarter, it's just as simple as that.

Scott is doing absolutely nothing down the stretch here that lends any credibility to him actually being a good offensive game manager or good head coach.

• Plus1 3

On 10/31/2021 at 9:34 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I learned that if I go to the game, experience game day in Lincoln and we lose, I have more fun than sitting at home watching and reading this board during the loss. 

Glad to hear that you had a great time with the other fans and friends.  For their devotion, the fans in the stands deserve so much more...

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yeah. It's just flat out bad coaching.

And like always, Martinez will take the vast majority of the blame. Obviously he had a bad game...but in my opinion poor coaching put him that spot.

We should have been running the ball more in the third quarter, it's just as simple as that.

Scott is doing absolutely nothing down the stretch here that lends any credibility to him actually being a good offensive game manager or good head coach.

The opposing coaches know that if they hang around long enough, Frost/Nebraska will do something stupid or make a mistake to flip the game.  That's worked for the past 4 years against NU.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Undone said:

In the Minnesota game, we had a 48%/52% run/pass ratio. We ran for 4.38 yards per carry.

Against Purdue, we had a 50/50 ratio. We ran for 4.48 yards per carry.

So why the hell didn't Frost just run the ball more? Those YPC stats are just fine. Why is he asking Martinez to drop back to pass so much in the first place? Doesn't make sense. I can't find any defense of that. We had the lead at halftime after all...

Just so stupid.

This has been Frost's MO since day one.  No rhyme or reason to the play calling.  A guy shines, never to be seen again.  Frustrating to say the least....

• Plus1 3

Once it's evident that Martinez is "off," you have to pretty much limit his passing to third downs only until he gets back in rhythm. Or if anything, limit the pass plays to swing passes & WR screens.

It's just so unbelievable for this coaching staff to have screwed up the last two games.

That failed goal line push against Minnesota was the point for me where it was like, "Ok, season's over." And I don't think I'll wind up being wrong on that one.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The opposing coaches know that if they hang around long enough, Frost/Nebraska will do something stupid or make a mistake to flip the game.  That's worked for the past 4 years against NU.

After the MSU game, a writer had mentioned this. Just keep it close into the 4th and NU would find a way to give away the game....

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

This has been Frost's MO since day one.  No rhyme or reason to the play calling.  A guy shines, never to be seen again.  Frustrating to say the least....

What's weird is that against Illinois, the run/pass ratio was 55/45. And it probably would have been an even higher run ratio if we wouldn't have been throwing so much in the second half to come back from a big deficit.

And we weren't even running the ball well from a yards per carry standpoint in that game.

Frost went away from the run starting with Minnesota. Then in the post game of that one, he comes out and says Martinez was hurt. Ok...why tf did you have him throwing so much then?

Frost is pissing it down his leg.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Once it's evident that Martinez is "off," you have to pretty much limit his passing to third downs only until he gets back in rhythm. Or if anything, limit the pass plays to swing passes & WR screens.

It's just so unbelievable for this coaching staff screwed up the last two games.

That failed goal line push against Minnesota was the point for me where it was like, "Ok, season's over." And I don't think I'll wind up being wrong on that one.

And again, like years previous, we have not one serviceable QB who can run the O better than a broken AM....I wouldn't be surprised of both Logan and Christian hit the portal.  Why stay when you can't get in after a guy throws 4 pics or is injured.....Verduzco should've been gone 2 years ago.

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

And again, like years previous, we have not one serviceable QB who can run the O better than a broken AM....I wouldn't be surprised of both Logan and Christian hit the portal.  Why stay when you can't get in after a guy throws 4 pics or is injured.....Verduzco should've been gone 2 years ago.

I definitely expect Smothers to stay. But I'll tell you what, the guy I'd expect to hit the portal first is Yant.

• Crusader Husker changed the title to What did we learn from the Purdue game