What did we learn from the Purdue game

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

I definitely expect Smothers to stay. But I'll tell you what, the guy I'd expect to hit the portal first is Yant.

Great point.  I have no idea why, when at the beginning of the season, they said they wanted to find "the guy", the guys is still used sparingly if at all.......Play calling, scheme, personnel use, lack of development.....

On a lighter note but also completely seriously: I think that was the best onside kick in the history of football on any level of play.

CTB could have ordered a Jimmy John's sandwich and eaten it in the amount of time it took that sidewinding ball to slowly finally make it 10 yards.

That was pretty awesome. When we failed to actually recover that I wasn't even mad, I just laughed. It was the perfect ending to an entirely s****y game.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

On a lighter note but also completely seriously: I think that was the best onside kick in the history of football on any level of play.

CTB could have ordered a Jimmy John's sandwich and eaten it in the amount of time it took that sidewinding ball to slowly finally make it 10 yards.

That was pretty awesome. When we failed to actually recover that I wasn't even mad, I just laughed. It was the perfect ending to an entirely s****y game.

I kinda wonder if CTB wasn't supposed to take out a receiving player like JoJo did. Last time we did this kick Culp followed the ball and almost recovered. I think anymore the only way you'll get the ball is if everybody on the kicking team destroys the man across from them and the kicker falls on it.

16 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I kinda wonder if CTB wasn't supposed to take out a receiving player like JoJo did. Last time we did this kick Culp followed the ball and almost recovered. I think anymore the only way you'll get the ball is if everybody on the kicking team destroys the man across from them and the kicker falls on it.

Yeah, CTB looked confused for sure.

Nebraska poorly executing a crucial special teams play? Of course! I'd expect nothing less at this point.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Great point.  I have no idea why, when at the beginning of the season, they said they wanted to find "the guy", the guys is still used sparingly if at all.......Play calling, scheme, personnel use, lack of development.....

They said they wanted to find "the guy" and they did.  They found Johnson and he's done a pretty good job.  

Yant has had some good plays.  But, he's also shown that he can really screw up.  I guess I'm not surprised after they said that, have played Johnson the most, Yant screws up and.....they play Johnson the most.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They said they wanted to find "the guy" and they did.  They found Johnson and he's done a pretty good job.  

Yant has had some good plays.  But, he's also shown that he can really screw up.  I guess I'm not surprised after they said that, have played Johnson the most, Yant screws up and.....they play Johnson the most.

I guess I look at our complete inability to run in the 2nd half against Purdue and all Yant got was 2 touches....The dude is a load and has shown to be pretty quick and nimble.  

9.3 yards per play on 30 first down snaps: I'm not sure I've ever seen a stat like this. Nebraska produced 279 yards of total offense on 30 first down snaps on Saturday. They had just 120 yards on all of the second, third and fourth down snaps combined. 

NU's average third-down distance on 14 snaps was 7.9 yards. Once again, the Huskers found a way to produce a once in a hundred game type stat.

The disappearance of Jaquez Yant: Running back Jaquez Yant produced the two longest runs of the game on Saturday of 18 and 33 yards. He only played 12 total snaps in the game.

A lot more here....

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/the-weekly-rundown-unpacking-what-we-saw-saturday-and-what-s-next-for-nu

• Crusader Husker changed the title to What did we learn from the Purdue game

Time of possession. And plays run. 

If the opponents game plan is to play keep away then have to be able to do that. Which, would involve not turning the ball over and having a sustainable running game. We know that already. Then there's making the other team go the longest distance possible.

Quarterback errors, offensive line play that doesn't support the quarterback and the running backs and special teams playing that doesn't lend to causing the opponents to drive longer distances are our issues. This is nothing new and spectacular.

Explosive plays are nice to execute. Yet having the ability to execute runs is necessary too. I think these things are fixable. It's like making soup the elements complementing each other. Gotta have the right ingredients (players, team abilities) and cooks (head coach, assistants).

There's an old saying, you bake with the flower you have (players). Scott, get yourself the "flour" you need and if the "cooks" aren't cooking well enough, show them the door. Similarly with the flour. Players that aren't performing well enough can sit. At least demonstrate a willingness to give others opportunities to prove themselves. This is your time and your legacy. Winners adjust, adapt and learn.

The question isn't so much can he, but will he? There's a lack of continuity with this offense. It can sometimes gain momentum but not sustain it. It doesn't the yet know how to break the other teams will. At least a good teams. And maintain momentum. The effort is good but I just don't see a nasty attitude about them that's necessary of imposing their will.

I haven't given up on Scott though our issues are real. We don't need to do a little better here and a little better there.  We don't need more trying. And everyone accepts responsibility and is part of the solution so, be present in the locker room even if you don't say much or anything at all. Yes, there's been improvement.

I suppose it's easy for us to criticize from the outside in. I think that my expectations are reasonable and 3-6, possibly 3-9 is nowhere near where we're needing to be in year four. 

What we sow and how it's taken care of is what we reap.