Frost just fired himself

Nebraska has reached the point where we have a reputation for making a coach independently wealthy even if they drive the program deeper into the Depths of Despair. Why would Frost even want to come back when he has money in the bank and $20M more guaranteed win or lose? We need to find a young lower level coach who has something to prove and can be hired for a contract that incentivizes improvement & bowl appearances.

10 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Nebraska has reached the point where we have a reputation for making a coach independently wealthy even if they drive the program deeper into the Depths of Despair. Why would Frost even want to come back when he has money in the bank and $20M more guaranteed win or lose? We need to find a young lower level coach who has something to prove and can be hired for a contract that incentivizes improvement & bowl appearances.

(Whispers Jamey Chadwell) 

• Oh Yeah! 4

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

The most delusional part is where he said we have a good team.  Good teams don't lose to Illinois.   Good teams don't lose to Minnesota.   Good teams don't lose to Purdue.   Good teams sure as hell don't lose to all 3 in the same season.  You don't need a great team to beat these turds in this toilet division.   You need a mediocre team, and we don't even have that.

We lost the games most fans penciled in as a loss and the ones penciled in as a win. Pathetic. The stuff we’ve witnessed over 4 years is high school level some even mistakes you make in pee wee football. I just don’t know how you can continue on with everything derailing into a train wreck like this. 

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s no different than anything else.

Have you played any athletic sports? Honest question. I have played from youth: travel Ice Hockey, Amateur Hockey, High School football and college. One thing I loved about my coaches? They motivated the living f#&% out of us and fired us up for games. And we wanted to rip our opponents’ heads off.

The games we lost sometimes we were a direct reflection of our coach. If something seemed off with him personally, he/they lacked the enthusiasm to go on. It weighs on a player’s psyche. Because a coach is like a father figure to you. You spend more time with coaches and assistants than your own family in college. 

Yes, it is a teams job to pull together but when you’re a young athlete in this day and age, that is something kids take for granted. They want to be led by a leader who is in charge. One of the things I loved about Bo Pelini was how he talked about “the process” accountability, wanting IT every single day. Can you wake up everyday and get after it?

Do you see this under Scott Frost? Do you see any urgency to improve, to motivate his own players he recruited? Because I don’t. Thus, as the leader of our football program, his lack of motivational skills sticks out like a sore thumb now. His record is testimony to his failed coaching career at NU.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, FTW said:

Have you played any athletic sports? Honest question. I have played from youth: travel Ice Hockey, Amateur Hockey, High School football and college. One thing I loved about my coaches? They motivated the living f#&% out of us and fired us up for games. And we wanted to rip our opponents’ heads off.

The games we lost sometimes we were a direct reflection of our coach. If something seemed off with him personally, he/they lacked the enthusiasm to go on. It weighs on a player’s psyche. Because a coach is like a father figure to you. You spend more time with coaches and assistants than your own family in college. 

Yes, it is a teams job to pull together but when you’re a young athlete in this day and age, that is something kids take for granted. They want to be led by a leader who is in charge. One of the things I loved about Bo Pelini was how he talked about “the process” accountability, wanting IT every single day. Can you wake up everyday and get after it?

Do you see this under Scott Frost? Do you see any urgency to improve, to motivate his own players he recruited? Because I don’t. Thus, as the leader of our football program, his lack of motivational skills sticks out like a sore thumb now. His record is testimony to his failed coaching career at NU.

I played football and ran track in college.  The football program I was a part of was pretty good, but it doesn't matter.  I've been a leader of people in my career for 20 years.  I currently specialize in Change Management and Problem Solving.  It is my job to go into organizations and get them to do what I want the way I want it.  Some orgs are a lot harder than others.

Whether someone put on a helmet or not is irrelevant.  Your own comments prove it.  Scott Frost is one of the best QB's that Nebraska has had, but yet by your assessment, he's not able to motivate his team.  It's a great story that your coach had you ready to "run through a brick wall", but that doesn't work for everyone.  It really wasn't that long ago that you couldn't have water until you "did it right".  Is that motivation? 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I played football and ran track in college.  The football program I was a part of was pretty good, but it doesn't matter.  I've been a leader of people in my career for 20 years.  I currently specialize in Change Management and Problem Solving.  It is my job to go into organizations and get them to do what I want the way I want it.  Some orgs are a lot harder than others.

Whether someone put on a helmet or not is irrelevant.  Your own comments prove it.  Scott Frost is one of the best QB's that Nebraska has had, but yet by your assessment, he's not able to motivate his team.  It's a great story that your coach had you ready to "run through a brick wall", but that doesn't work for everyone.  It really wasn't that long ago that you couldn't have water until you "did it right".  Is that motivation? 

Are you a fan of "Our Iceberg is Melting" By John Kotter? One of my favorite shorter books on change management. 

28 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I left something out......

It is my process(es) that I attempt to coach them to follow.  Ultimately, they are not successful unless I have put together a sustainable plan for them to follow my process(es).  The org has to believe in what I'm selling them.  There are several ways to do this but may favorite is "Creating Dissatisfaction".  I also have to package it in a way that they believe that my process(es) will make them or the org better.

My guess is SF's downfall is not in getting his player to scream loud as they go through the tunnel walk, but for them buy in to what he's trying to do.  The org may also not respect him because of previous decisions or continued poor performance.  As casual observers we rarely get a chance to look behind the curtain, but I think we can all agree it's not working.

2 hours ago, FTW said:

Did you need your coaches to do that?  I played.  Nobody needed to motivate me or make me want to rip an opponents head off.  I was already motivated by getting to play the great game of football.  I think coaches need to motivate players in practice to go their hardest when needed and strive to be the best they can be.  If you need to get kids motivated to play on TV in front of 90k people there is a huge problem.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1