Nebraska Football and the Obituaries

Hagg

For years, I have heard people say that everyone loves Nebraska football because there isn't anything else to do.

Now, supposedly, people care less because they have other things to do that are more fun that watching a losing team.

The world is strange some times.

FYI....The vast majority of Husker fans still care deeply about the program.

• Oh Yeah! 1

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You are not an idiot ...

Now wait just a minute....  :lol:

I'm noticing a dying off of the "blue hairs" and older (and a bit younger as well I think).. thus the obituary in the title and thus the comparison to the horrid dying of the football program we're seeing and have been for several cycles of coaching regimes and of recruiting classes etc therein.   Also, as a corollary, I'm noticing a dying off of deep caring as it used to be.  It's still there.. but.... 

5 minutes ago, hagg said:

I'm noticing a dying off of the "blue hairs" and older (and a bit younger as well I think).. thus the obituary in the title and thus the comparison to the horrid dying of the football program we're seeing and have been for several cycles of coaching regimes and of recruiting classes etc therein.   Also, as a corollary, I'm noticing a dying off of deep caring as it used to be.  It's still there.. but.... 

Can you expound on the bolded?  The ironic part of our situation is we still have more talent than the majority of the teams we're facing.  Looking at our schedule thus far, I would say we breakdown as follows:

More talent than:

• Illinois
  • Fordham
  • Buffalo
  • Michigan State
  • Northwestern
  • Purdue
  • Minnesota (at time of playing)

Less Talent Than

• Oklahoma
  • Michigan

Yet we still find ourselves with an inexcusable record due to whatever you want to call our coaching style.

I got a chuckle out of this thread and some of the long form responses.  Its just a game at the end of the day, a game that we haven't really played that well for going on 10 years now since 2011-2012 ish, in my opinion.  Football isn't rocket science but it certainly isn't easy either.  Find a coach who can teach the fundamentals consistently and find the players to said system and you have the foundation to build success from there.  

We have objectively failed at this equation since probably 2010.  Whether its frosty trying to go whatever you want to call his spread/up tempo without first building a line and discipline.  Or riley trying to recruit and build a system that for the large part of 20 years netted him .500/sub .500 seasons.  Or Bo trying to balance the right offense/right defense (could never match these up in the same year) plus having to apply a Big12 system to the Big 10.  

It really is all about the head coach and his staff at the end of the day.  Look at USC, while they've had some higher highs than we have- they sit in the middle of one of the best recruiting locations in the country yet have largely been a disappointment since the last few years of the Carroll era.  

Nebraska being dead is a load of BS.  Simply play sound, winning football, and we're probably sitting at 7-2 or 6-3 right now and ranked in the top 25 with some big time games coming up in November.  Instead, we play inconsistent football, do not fill potential, and we lose games we're both underdawgs and favored in.  Inexcusable

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Can you expound on the bolded?  The ironic part of our situation is we still have more talent than the majority of the teams we're facing.  Looking at our schedule thus far, I would say we breakdown as follows:

More talent than:

• Illinois
  • Fordham
  • Buffalo
  • Michigan State
  • Northwestern
  • Purdue
  • Minnesota (at time of playing)

Less Talent Than

• Oklahoma
  • Michigan

Yet we still find ourselves with an inexcusable record due to whatever you want to call our coaching style.

I got a chuckle out of this thread and some of the long form responses.  Its just a game at the end of the day, a game that we haven't really played that well for going on 10 years now since 2011-2012 ish, in my opinion.  Football isn't rocket science but it certainly isn't easy either.  Find a coach who can teach the fundamentals consistently and find the players to said system and you have the foundation to build success from there.  

We have objectively failed at this equation since probably 2010.  Whether its frosty trying to go whatever you want to call his spread/up tempo without first building a line and discipline.  Or riley trying to recruit and build a system that for the large part of 20 years netted him .500/sub .500 seasons.  Or Bo trying to balance the right offense/right defense (could never match these up in the same year) plus having to apply a Big12 system to the Big 10.  

It really is all about the head coach and his staff at the end of the day.  Look at USC, while they've had some higher highs than we have- they sit in the middle of one of the best recruiting locations in the country yet have largely been a disappointment since the last few years of the Carroll era.  

Nebraska being dead is a load of BS.  Simply play sound, winning football, and we're probably sitting at 7-2 or 6-3 right now and ranked in the top 25 with some big time games coming up in November.  Instead, we play inconsistent football, do not fill potential, and we lose games we're both underdawgs and favored in.  Inexcusable

Nice post there.

Well, the recruiting thing.. ugh.. I'm one to be impressed by development of recruited and walk-on players.  The highly rated recruited boys sometimes have the same appearance in performance, for the good and the bad, as walk-ons and others.  I feel that the coaching staff is pretty much 100% responsible for player development.  Yes the other factors can seep in, and I'm even highlighting (or opining) the "deep fan factor" at Nebraska (yes, as a bit unique).  My central point is how all of that is connected. 

30 minutes ago, hagg said:

This implies the blue hairs care more than younger folks, which I disagree with. Also you say people care about Husker football because there is nothing else but you also say the care is waning because we suck. So is the deep care actually tied to the Huskers being the only show in town or is it tied to winning? I know where I'm from its the former. Frankly the Huskers could go 0-12 year in and year out and I'd still have hope and excitement for every single game. I'm a Husker and I will never not be. Sure losing can create apathy but I really don't think the die hard Husker fans will ever go away. Its part of who we are. And to be fair every fan base has this to some degree so I'm not saying we are special, but I do think as a program we are pretty high on the list when it comes to fan passion.

• Oh Yeah! 1

44 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This implies the blue hairs care more than younger folks, which I disagree with. Also you say people care about Husker football because there is nothing else but you also say the care is waning because we suck. So is the deep care actually tied to the Huskers being the only show in town or is it tied to winning? I know where I'm from its the former. Frankly the Huskers could go 0-12 year in and year out and I'd still have hope and excitement for every single game. I'm a Husker and I will never not be. Sure losing can create apathy but I really don't think the die hard Husker fans will ever go away. Its part of who we are. And to be fair every fan base has this to some degree so I'm not saying we are special, but I do think as a program we are pretty high on the list when it comes to fan passion.

Not "care more."  It's about the kind of caring.. the Nebraska pride as a state, not just a football program or a school (there are other schools here), as portions of it.    In an important way you seem to be making my point.

48 minutes ago, hagg said:

Not "care more."  It's about the kind of caring.. the Nebraska pride as a state, not just a football program or a school (there are other schools here), as portions of it.    In an important way you seem to be making my point.

Oh I get it, they care better. What a joke. I have pride in the state of Nebraska. The point you think you are making is ridiculous honestly and I'm through entertaining it.

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 10/31/2021 at 12:30 PM, Roundball Shaman said:

“That steady decline in wins may be somewhat connected to the steady loss of a generation (or two) as they (we) age and die.”

What about Alabama (and others)? They went just the opposite way.

Interesting that the uniqueness of Nebraska gets lost as we make our comparisons to other programs out there.  Like another poster in this thread, I believe you're making my point as you circle around for analogies.  Don't do that.. we're not talking stats.. we're talking about how there's no place like Nebraska;  there honestly isn't when it comes to the deep connection between the football program here and most Nebraskans.  And that "most Nebraskans" is declining along with the success of the program.  If we try to clarify any point about that dynamic by using other states and other football programs we are in a sort of inverted way making the whole point of this thread.