2021 Coaching Carousel

By all indications so far, I don't think Trev is going to pull the trigger this year no matter what. By this point in 2017, the writing was on the wall for Riley. Dead man walking. Currently, while the press conferences are awkward and stilted, everyone seems to be going about their business as usual. 

Get blown out at home by the Buckeyes, maybe things change, but it doesn't seem likely. Trev will probably come out with some schpiel about how competitive we were, one play away in so many games and whatnot, that we should give Scott a chance to keep recruiting and building the program. Heck, he might be right.

Now, the fate of the assistants? That's anyone's guess. 

One small silver lining is that the next few recruiting classes should stay together with the assurance that Frost will still be around, and there will be stability, somewhat, for the football program. August rolls around, hope floats anew, and we're all convinced that this will be the year that we win the West and compete for a conference title. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

By all indications so far, I don't think Trev is going to pull the trigger this year no matter what. By this point in 2017, the writing was on the wall for Riley. Dead man walking. Currently, while the press conferences are awkward and stilted, everyone seems to be going about their business as usual. 

Get blown out at home by the Buckeyes, maybe things change, but it doesn't seem likely. Trev will probably come out with some schpiel about how competitive we were, one play away in so many games and whatnot, that we should give Scott a chance to keep recruiting and building the program. Heck, he might be right.

One small silver lining is that the next few recruiting classes should stay together with the assurance that Frost will still be around, and there will be stability, somewhat, for the football program. August rolls around, hope floats anew, and we're all convinced that this will be the year that we win the West and compete for a conference title. 

When Sipple becomes critical (he was yesterday) then you can assume that the seat is much warmer than you think. I have always viewed Sipple as the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department. Once he starts to get critical and talk of "the end" well that usually means he was given the greenlight to do so. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Here is what concerns me if he is retained 1 more year or 10.....

When talking about 1 score games:

It(NU) has had an opportunity to drive to tie or win a game in the last four minutes 16 times under Frost and gone scoreless on 15 possessions. 

https://hailvarsity.com/football/nebraska-scott-frost-are-running-out-of-time-to-find-the-answer/

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

When Sipple becomes critical (he was yesterday) then you can assume that the seat is much warmer than you think. I have always viewed Sipple as the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department. Once he starts to get critical and talk of "the end" well that usually means he was given the greenlight to do so. 

You might be right. It just seems like Trev is a cool customer when it comes to this; playing his cards close to the vest. I figured if Scott was on his way out, there would be other indications, because by this point in the season, the only guy that seemed to think he would continue coaching football at Nebraska after 2017 was Mike Riley himself.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I don’t think he does either.   A change doesn’t guarantee either short or long term success.  Of course, nether does retention, but it may be the best path forward if you don’t have a home run hire secured.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

You might be right. It just seems like Trev is a cool customer when it comes to this; playing his cards close to the vest. I figured if Scott was on his way out, there would be other indications, because by this point in the season, the only guy that seemed to think he would continue coaching football at Nebraska after 2017 was Mike Riley himself.

No, I'm sure even Riley knew he was going to be gone.  He was just content with the idea.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is what concerns me if he is retained 1 more year or 10.....

When talking about 1 score games:

It(NU) has had an opportunity to drive to tie or win a game in the last four minutes 16 times under Frost and gone scoreless on 15 possessions. 

https://hailvarsity.com/football/nebraska-scott-frost-are-running-out-of-time-to-find-the-answer/

No you're absolutely right. I'm just saying the argument could be made (maybe not very convincingly) that Frost is 'just a play away,' 'so close,' 'gonna get there if he can just keep recruiting his guys,' 'building a strong culture,' etc. 

I think if Trev came out with this message, most Husker fans would shrug and say, 'maybe, yeah, sure,' and keep waiting for Frost and whatever staff he has to turn the corner. 

• Haha 1

No you're absolutely right. I'm just saying the argument could be made (maybe not very convincingly) that Frost is 'just a play away,' 'so close,' 'gonna get there if he can just keep recruiting his guys,' 'building a strong culture,' etc. 

I think if Trev came out with this message, most Husker fans would shrug and say, 'maybe, yeah, sure,' and keep waiting for Frost and whatever staff he has to turn the corner. 

The ONLY way the fan base would be OK with this is if there's major changes in the program with assistants...etc.  If Frost is retained, the fan base needs to be given something major that the program can hang it's hat on that would show the fan base...a) we don't like where we are at...and b) we are willing to do XYZ to get better.

Just telling the fan base that everything is fine...trust us....isn't going to cut it.

• Plus1 4

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I don’t think he does either.   A change doesn’t guarantee either short or long term success.  Of course, nether does retention, but it may be the best path forward if you don’t have a home run hire secured.  

Why does it have to be a "homerun" hire? Wasnt Frost a "homerun" hire? I sure thought he was. How about we just get a guy with a win percentage above .500. That will practically guarantee improvement. 

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Gary Patterson's leaving sooner, rather than end-of-season, seems to be a good strategic move (for him) if he is looking at another position somewhere else. If he is already talking with another A.D. (or three) it seems to also free those A.D.s to make a firing before the season ends. It seems to me that if we don't want to completely blow a recruiting class, it would be helpful to have our next staff in place sooner, rather than later. Nobody is going to want to commit to a staff that (odds are) isn't going to be there next year. I also wonder if Patterson would be taking any assistants with him to his new destination?

Which leads to another question in my mind: Are there any current assistants who would stay and remain an asset to a new incoming HC?

I think Patterson is done personally.  He's 61 and has been in the game for a lot of years.  I could see him taking a year or two to crank out country music albums (I'm serious) and then maybe he comes back.  I could also see him riding off into the sunset.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Dan Mullen's tenure at Florida may be coming to an end.

*Crosses fingers**

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The ONLY way the fan base would be OK with this is if there's major changes in the program with assistants...etc.  If Frost is retained, the fan base needs to be given something major that the program can hang it's hat on that would show the fan base...a) we don't like where we are at...and b) we are willing to do XYZ to get better.

Just telling the fan base that everything is fine...trust us....isn't going to cut it.

I can agree with that. Sounds like Austin and Verduzco would be on the chopping block in that case; anyone else...maybe Held? 

I have to wonder, though, if that's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. What assistants could even come here and improve things, Bo Pelini-style?

21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yes, yesterday's column included this bit: "I definitely know it got the attention of other people in leadership positions when the embattled Nebraska coach told reporters, "A team shouldn't need the head coach to motivate them all the time."

Interesting turn of phrase. 

• Plus1 3

I can agree with that. Sounds like Austin and Verduzco would be on the chopping block in that case; anyone else...maybe Held? 

I have to wonder, though, if that's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. What assistants could even come here and improve things, Bo Pelini-style?

I don't know enough about various assistants around the country to even guess who they might be.  But, the coaching world is weird.  They are used to moving every year or two.  If you are going to keep Frost, force him to make major changes to the offensive side and ST.  Throw a ton of money at the best you can get and see what happens.

A new offensive staff might reinvigorate recruiting and the ability to get some good transfers.

• Plus1 1