2021 Coaching Carousel

Why wouldn’t someone like Herman, Mullen or Sark ( if he gets canned) come to be our OC?  If they turn the O around they just set themselves for another crack at a HC gig or at worst, a nice salary.    It’s got to be better than being some lame a$$ analyst somewhere.  

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Ask Bo Pelini in 2003.

Chances are the offense actually improves next year (especially if AM returns) and the defense regresses a bit.

Next year is going to be a s#!t show.  Everything will be up for grabs.

edit: never mind.  ADs mustn’t listen to fans…

Significantly different circumstances between now and 2003. If Frost were able to go 9-3 in the regular season, he would not be getting fired. If NU had a season which would result in Frost's firing, Trev isn't going to turn to the new OC or even Chinander as the next head coach. Trev will want a complete re-set with the next coach. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Why wouldn’t someone like Herman, Mullen or Sark ( if he gets canned) come to be our OC?  If they turn the O around they just set themselves for another crack at a HC gig or at worst, a nice salary.    It’s got to be better than being some lame a$$ analyst somewhere.  

First, Sark isn't getting fired this year.  Second, big time coaches like to go with the offensive analyst route because they have just been paid a huge buyout, so they don't need the money. Taking a year or two off is a good way to recharge their batteries, work their connections, and then look for another head coaching gig when the time is ready. 

7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I don’t think this is the program someone is really looking at to rebuild their brand and launch into a HC. Better bet and more realistic idea would be a “young” offensive mind with new ideas and energy.  

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Significantly different circumstances between now and 2003. If Frost were able to go 9-3 in the regular season, he would not be getting fired. If NU had a season which would result in Frost's firing, Trev isn't going to turn to the new OC or even Chinander as the next head coach. Trev will want a complete re-set with the next coach. 

Ok.  So it doesn’t make any sense then.

Maybe they’d come for another year of a buyout then.  Because I’d be very surprised if Frost is the coach 365 days from now.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Because these big time coaches will have many opportunities to be a HC at a power 5. If they want to coach, they will better opportunities than an OC job at a struggling school. If they don’t want to, they pocket $, recharge and get a tv gig

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Honestly, the sheer volume of openings this year pretty much guarantees them another head coach gig. 

48 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Coaching Carousel is brutal this year. Trev made the right choice, and Frost has the ability to raid some decent coaching staff/rosters of these fired coaches. 

Gotta love this quote from Dan Mullen. To the bolded.  Scott Frost enters the chat and says hold my beer....

The Gators dropped to 5-6 overall and 2-6 in SEC play after the 24-23 loss. Mullen noted at the end it was the team’s "seventh straight loss in one-possession games." Missouri entered the game with the nation’s 118th-ranked defense, with the Gators’ offense scoring 92 points in the last two games.

You could almost reverse their O and our D.  Our D has been solid, O almost dead last in red zone efficiency.  We dropped 4 spots to 116 after Wisky.

33 minutes ago, lo country said:

Gotta love this quote from Dan Mullen. To the bolded.  Scott Frost enters the chat and says hold my beer....

The Gators dropped to 5-6 overall and 2-6 in SEC play after the 24-23 loss. Mullen noted at the end it was the team’s "seventh straight loss in one-possession games." Missouri entered the game with the nation’s 118th-ranked defense, with the Gators’ offense scoring 92 points in the last two games.

You could almost reverse their O and our D.  Our D has been solid, O almost dead last in red zone efficiency.  We dropped 4 spots to 116 after Wisky.

Some coaches are reluctant to change out dead weight on their staff until it’s too late. I remember barfknecht at a recent big red breakfast talking about how guys like Urban, Saban and even Fleck are ruthless about the staff they bring with them. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HANC said:

Because these big time coaches will have many opportunities to be a HC at a power 5. If they want to coach, they will better opportunities than an OC job at a struggling school. If they don’t want to, they pocket $, recharge and get a tv gig

But are they really still considered "big time" coaches?  They just got the pink slip for failing to meet expectations.  I just don't see another P5 hiring a newly fired P5 coach from the previous season.  I actually don't recall that happening in my recent memory.  Maybe it has.  I suppose they could go Go5 or FCS, but is that a better resume booster than a P5 coordinator, assuming both were successful?  Who knows?

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Honestly, the sheer volume of openings this year pretty much guarantees them another head coach gig. 

You may be right, but where would be an example of one of these openings?

Florida, USC and LSU aren't hiring recent P5 failures.  Even Herman is not very far out from his jettison from Texas.  Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but I see P5 schools going straight for "up an comers" like Fickell, Napier, etc.  Or trying luring other P5 coaches (Campbell, Franklin, etc).

3 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I don’t think this is the program someone is really looking at to rebuild their brand and launch into a HC. Better bet and more realistic idea would be a “young” offensive mind with new ideas and energy.  

We probably will end up with someone younger and not ever a HC.  Why not Nebraska for the likes of Mullen, Herman and possibly Sark?  Turn around a struggling offense that Native Son and former NC winning HCSF couldn't do.  Especially if you were allowed to bring 3 assistants with you.  That would be pretty impressive and would look pretty good on a resume.

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

First, Sark isn't getting fired this year.  Second, big time coaches like to go with the offensive analyst route because they have just been paid a huge buyout, so they don't need the money. Taking a year or two off is a good way to recharge their batteries, work their connections, and then look for another head coaching gig when the time is ready. 

I agree that Sark isn't likely to get fired.  But it's Texas, so who knows.  To your point about big time coaches and going the analyst route, Is there actually an example of a current P5 coach that played it out like this?  Maybe there is, I just can''t think of one.