2021 Coaching Carousel

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree that Sark isn't likely to get fired.  But it's Texas, so who knows.  To your point about big time coaches and going the analyst route, Is there actually an example of a current P5 coach that played it out like this?  Maybe there is, I just can''t think of one.

Yeah, Steve Sarkisian.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

And given the buyouts that these coaches are getting these days, I can see it happen more going forward.

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Not true.  Although he briefly was an analyst at his first Bama stint, he went:  OC Bama, OC Falcons, OC Bama --> Texas. 

Sark was an offensive analyst in 2016, and then took over as the OC in the bowl game when Lane took the FAU job.

I edited my original post with Sark's wiki page and will include a link again  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

3 hours ago, HANC said:

Because these big time coaches will have many opportunities to be a HC at a power 5. If they want to coach, they will better opportunities than an OC job at a struggling school. If they don’t want to, they pocket $, recharge and get a tv gig

bingo.

Some of our fans are delusional. Nebraska isn't the destination that many of our fans think it is. Not to mention, Frost hasn't shown that he's willing to take a risk on someone he isn't familiar with. Like Riley, he prefers to hire his buddies that he's worked with before, which is why Helfrich is rumored to be his top target.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sark was an offensive analyst in 2016, and then took over as the OC in the bowl game when Lane took the FAU job.

I edited my original post with Sark's wiki page and will include a link again  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sarkisian

I meant going straight from analyst to P5 HC as in how I interpreted your previous post.  Sark got to Texas because of his success as an OC at a high level.  And yes, I also confirmed my info from that wiki page;)

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

bingo.

Some of our fans are delusional. Nebraska isn't the destination that many of our fans think it is. Not to mention, Frost hasn't shown that he's willing to take a risk on someone he isn't familiar with. Like Riley, he prefers to hire his buddies that he's worked with before, which is why Helfrich is rumored to be his top target.

Coming in as an OC isn't a destination anywhere.  Unless, I suppose you just want to settle down and don't want to do the HC thing anymore.  It's a stepping stone to getting back to a HC gig someday if that's the goal.

15 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Coming in as an OC isn't a destination anywhere.  Unless, I suppose you just want to settle down and don't want to do the HC thing anymore.  It's a stepping stone to getting back to a HC gig someday if that's the goal.

Except he won’t need a stepping stone. He’ll have plenty of options more alluring than Nebraska. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Some coaches are reluctant to change out dead weight on their staff until it’s too late. I remember barfknecht at a recent big red breakfast talking about how guys like Urban, Saban and even Fleck are ruthless about the staff they bring with them. 

Saban seems sorta zen about it. He's like "If I'm hiring the best coaches available, then it shouldn't be surprising that they get HC offers." He also seems to like guys who can bring something new to the table and keep them evolving.

7 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Wonder if Scott is Mullen the idea of this hire

BbgL7x3.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Napier is basically telling LSU to s#!t or get off the pot. He's their Plan C, and he's sick of waiting around for those in front of him (Riley & Aranda) to accept or decline. Word is that if Oklahoma loses Bedlam, then Riley will take the LSU job.

I think Napier is a diamond in the rough and will do well no matter where he goes. If Frost does not make it past next season, I will be bummed if we missed out on Napier.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1